Esme

I love, love, love this name and have for years! but then twilight came out and now it is becoming popular.

First Question: would you think I named my child for twilight if you met her?
Second Question: do you think the trend will die down, or will [name]Esme[/name] continue to grow in popularity?

I don’t want my (future/potential) daughter to have 5 other girls with the same name in her classes or for people to think her mom named her for twilight (no offence to twilight lovers).

Thank you very much for your help! :slight_smile:

[name]Esme[/name] is definitely growing on me. Yes, I do immediately refer to Twilight…but I dont think this is a bad thing…all names have been used as some sort of reference.

I have a lot of the same fears. I have loved the name [name]Esme[/name] since I was 8 or 9 and going through my aunt’s baby name books. And then I read the [name]Salinger[/name] story “For [name]Esme[/name] with [name]Love[/name] and Squalor” and I was done for. But I HATE Twilight, and don’t want anyone thinking that my child’s name is derived it.

As far as answering your questions:

1. I hope I wouldn’t, but knowing my own personal understanding of the name, I might ask, but upon hearing the answer I would probably say “Thank God”
  2. I don’t think it will grow in popularity. Or at least I hope it doesn’t. It is a pretty unique name, and I don’t think it will quite reach the heights of an [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I like [name]Esme[/name], its a good name. I wouldn’t let a film put you off it.

i like it, the hype of twilight will die down soon and I wouldnt automatically think of the film first. [name]Esme[/name] is a lovely name:)

It’s a lovely name.
The Twilight trend will die out. I wouldn’t worry about that. Myself, I can’t even remember names of all Backstreet Boys now! Times change.
I hope in 5, 10 years nobody will scream Twilight! if I ever named my son [name]Jasper[/name].

I do think of Twilight when I hear this name. Also when spelled this way my mind always goes to the fact I’ve been told Esmee is the female spelling and [name]Esme[/name] is the unisex version.

Thank you all very much. Your replies make me feel much better about it. I do love the name. [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Norah[/name] have always been my top names since I started even thinking about children. I think you are right about the twilight thing dying down before the name gets too popular like many other things. Thank you so much!!

The spelling Esmee is actually very pretty. I also thought about Esmea, but I don’t know if it seems “made up” or silly.

I am a fan of twilight and I don’t think of it when I see this name so that’s a good thing :slight_smile:
[name]LOVE[/name] the name and don’t let twilight put you off to it