Eulalia??

I heard the name [name]Eulalia[/name] the other day and was wondering what your thoughts were? I loved it when I saw it but I think it may be a little frilly so may be better as a middle name spot. I much prefer to [name]Eulalie[/name] (which is gorgeous too). Anyway I wanted to know what you thought! Thanks

It is such a sweet name. I taught a little girl in my preschool class, named [name]Eulalia[/name] . . . pronounced Ow-lahlia. She mostly went by her, too cute for words nickname, [name]Lollie[/name]. She was kind and cute as a button, and I think if her as soon as I hear the name. Her parents were of Greek and Spanish descent, so the exotic aspects of the name fit her. However, I do remember mentioning her name to my husband, and his response was, “[name]How[/name] can there be that many vowels in one name?” :slight_smile: So, I guess the name does have its downside. A mouthful, but beautiful, nonetheless.

[name]Lollie[/name] is so cute for a nickname. I was thinking if she was to have a nn it would be [name]Lola[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think its ok in britain? I know its greek so that is a concern seeing as I am english. I pronounce it u-lay-lia. Thanks

It’s adorable, and has a great meaning. I do prefer Eulalie, prounced oo-lah-lee

I love [name]Eulalia[/name]! One of my favorites. To me, it seems less gawky than [name]Eulalie[/name] and not at cutesy. The only thing is that I’m not sure how much either [name]Eulalia[/name] or [name]Eulalie[/name] is usable in the real world. I say [name]Eulalia[/name] “yoo-LAWL-yuh” and [name]Eulalie[/name] “yoo-[name]LAY[/name]-lee.”

Pronounciation is the issue here.
I always prnounce it as You-la-lee-ah with more emphasis on the lee-ah at the end.
oo-lah-lia with more emphasis on the lah bit just sounds comical to me. It’s more a bunch of sounds than a name

[name]Eulalia[/name] was a 4th-century Spanish saint so it’s a name with a long history. I find [name]Eulalia[/name] a little too ultrafeminine and overly frilly for my taste. I prefer the French spelling [name]Eulalie[/name] and I think it would be quite a bold choice for a first name.

[name]Eulalia[/name] was a 4th century Catalan saint – there was no “Spanish” then – and her relics are interred at the Cathedral of her name in the Barrio Gotico in [name]Barcelona[/name]. In Catalan, it is pronouned Ay-oo-lah-lee-ah. I love the name because of its exotic sound and its associations with [name]Barcelona[/name], where the sardana is danced in front of her cathedral every [name]Sunday[/name] after Mass. The Catalan nn is [name]Laia[/name] – Lye-ah – which is actually the more popular form of her name now.

I prefer [name]Eulalie[/name] too, [name]Eulalia[/name] is a mouthful!

I agree that [name]Eulalia[/name] is overly frilly (and VERY vowel-heavy) - I prefer [name]Eulalie[/name].