Evan or Mark

We’ve narrowed it down to these two: [name_m]Mark[/name_m] is my favorite; [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is my husband’s fav.

I adore [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. To me, it’s such a strong, handsome, romantic name. It sounds like a CEO (a la Marks Cuban or Zuckerberg) and very masculine (like Marks Wahlberg or [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] from [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_m]Jones[/name_m]). Two problems though:

1. Obviously, it exists in English as a verb and noun. I didn’t notice how often it came up in conversation until I started paying attention. Always someone saying “[name_m]Mark[/name_m] your calendars” or “[name_m]Mark[/name_m] my words!” (And then there’s the even more annoying “[name_m]Mark[/name_m] your territory.” Ugh.) That might be crazy making. I don’t want my kid to look up every time someone says his name, without meaning to say his name.
  1. My husband doesn’t like it. He named our daughter so we agreed that I get my pick this time, but still. Fortunately, I happen to like our daughter’s name so it wasn’t as much of a sacrifice for me. (Won’t stop me from using the name if I decide to, but I do feel a little guilty.)

Then there’s [name_u]Evan[/name_u]. I like it. It’s a more sentimental choice as there are [name_m]Evans[/name_m] on both sides of our family. But I do worry that it borders on too trendy, that it will forever pigeonhole him as born circa 2007-2017.

I really appreciate any advice! I think I’m too deep in the weeds to think rationally right now.

[name_m]Mark[/name_m] is a grown man’s name to me, as I’ve only ever known Marks who are 20+ years older than me…the youngest [name_m]Mark[/name_m] I know is around 34, so I just can’t picture it on a baby or child

I’ve known several [name_m]Evans[/name_m] of all different age groups though, so I can easily see it on a baby, child, teen, adult and elder…So [name_u]Evan[/name_u] would get my vote

I like [name_m]Mark[/name_m] and [name_u]Evan[/name_u] both.

I live in the US, so don’t hear people saying [name_m]Mark[/name_m] all that much.

I’ve taught school for the last 30 years and am trying to think if I ever taught a [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. Maybe one or two? [name_u]Evan[/name_u] maybe 3 or 4?

Of course maybe there are tons of [name_m]Evans[/name_m] popping out about now, not sure.

[name_m]Mark[/name_m] is solid and [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is a bit lighter, but I would just go for what I loved.

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]

Personally I would go for [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
A name that your husband doesnt care about, okay, but a name your husband actually dislikes wouldnt be nice
I also like the sound of [name_u]Evan[/name_u] more, it sounds softer
[name_m]Mark[/name_m] is also nice though and not used all that much as a word

I personally prefer [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. It’s underused yet totally known. [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is okay to me, not much of a spark to it imo.

I like [name_u]Evan[/name_u] a lot. I know of two that are 20 years old, and one that is around 40. I think it suits a baby, a little boy, a teenager, and an adult.

I like [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. It has a durability to it that [name_u]Evan[/name_u] doesn’t quite have. I also like it’s open, simple sound. I would imagine a [name_m]Mark[/name_m] to be a very honest, unfussy man.

I love both! [name_m]Mark[/name_m] is a great classic, Biblical choice. [name_u]Evan[/name_u] feels more modern, but not trendy. I think it depends on your daughter’s name. Are you comfortable sharing it?

I wish I could! Unfortunately, no.

They both sound alright with it though, with a slight edge to [name_u]Evan[/name_u]. It’s similar without being matchy matchy.

Good to hear it’s not too trendy! That’s my biggest worry. I was trying to find a comparable name (popularity-wise) for my generation, to see how it might age. I think it might sound like “[name_m]Sean[/name_m]” in a few decades. Not really used anymore, also but not screaming “whoa, hello 80’s!”

Totally agree. Durability is a great word for it! That’s my impression. [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is a nice name, I just am not feeling it’s ‘staying power’ like [name_m]Mark[/name_m].

I know four [name_m]Evans[/name_m]…One is 30, two are 25ish, and the third is 8. So, I don’t think it will sound dated in the future.

Of the two, I prefer [name_u]Evan[/name_u], but I can see the classic appeal of [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. It’s just a shame that your husband isn’t keen.

That’s a good reminder. This is where I get really conflicted.

I would never say this to him, but (just between anonymous me and anonymous y’all) his reasons for not liking [name_m]Mark[/name_m] are kind of lame. So that’s annoying. And the hormonal, less charitable side of me is saying, “A deal is a deal. I get my first pick. You’ll just have to learn to like it.”

Buuuuut, I like [name_u]Evan[/name_u] too, just not as much. And I keep reminding myself that co-parenting with compromise and mutual respect on major decisions is much more important to a child than any one name (within reason!). So then I lean towards [name_u]Evan[/name_u], even though I do prefer [name_m]Mark[/name_m].

Of the two, I would say [name_u]Evan[/name_u], but if it helps at all I do know two Marks under 20.