Evelyn & Meredith as BROTHERS?

Title says it all :confused:

I really like both names but don’t know if I’m brave enough to use them together.

1 Like

I’m all about using feminine names for boys and masculine names for girls (imho, names don’t have genders but I’m genderfluid so :man_shrugging:t2:) but I think most people will see [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] as exclusively feminine. As sisters, they go well. I also like the combo [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u].

1 Like

I like them both for a boy in theory – especially [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] – but I agree that most people see them as exclusively feminine names now, and using both together feels a bit like you’re making a deliberate point. (A point which I’m all in for, by the way, but I’m not sure someone else’s name is the best medium for making ideological points of any kind).

On a similar and also slightly contradictory note, I very much like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/Vyvyan for a boy :blush:

8 Likes

I love [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] for a boy as well! I didn’t know it was supposed to be a feminine name for the longest time, until someone mentioned it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I like both [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] :woman_shrugging:t2: [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is also a huge favourite of mine and I get a bit of flack for it but I’ve never once even met a female named [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], nor have I met anyone named [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] or [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. I think it can work. I went to school with sisters named [name_m]Konner[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u] & [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. I also have a friend with a son named [name_u]Eden[/name_u]. Names kind of seem obsolete to me now as far as genders go. Go with what you like!

3 Likes

even though both are widely accepted as feminine in the US, I think [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] would be much less surprising as a boy’s name because its not nearly as popular as [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. since [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] is #10, and shares the same ending as all the Adalyns and Gracelyns of the nation, unfortunately I think everyone will assume female until told or shown otherwise- although I think there is much to be said in the conversation of whether anyone should be assuming gender in the first place. [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] is #524 and less familiar to younger generations, plus only really shares the same ending/sound as [name_f]Edith[/name_f] which is also much less popular than all the [name_u]Lyn[/name_u] names. I think at best, people will assume brother and sister. The question is whether it bothers you enough to use them both, and no one can make that decision for you.
it’s a hard decision- I love names like [name_f]Peach[/name_f], [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] and [name_f]Honey[/name_f] for an actual baby. I debate whether I should use them because I believe that everyone should be WAY more accepting of unusual names, or not use them because I don’t want my child to take the hit and have problems with their name in the future (teasing, misgendering, anything). neither decision is right or wrong, it only matters what you feel is best for you and what you can handle. (This sentiment is for valid unusual names, not cruel names of course.)
I personally would be a little surprised by brothers named [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] at first, but would get over it rather quickly. I’m sure many or most people my age would feel the same way.

3 Likes

I don’t see these as boys names at all sorry.

1 Like

They sound great together! I think that if other people can name their daughters [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], etc. then you can certainly use [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] for boys! (Especially since they were boy names to begin with!)

5 Likes

They’re bold and brilliant and fit well together

3 Likes

I agree with @katinka.

Using them together does make it seem as if you’re making a deliberate point, one which your children would have to bear the brunt of. Having taught boys for years, I feel quite certain that young boys/teenage boys would hate having these names. It shouldn’t be that way considering it’s trendy to give boys’ names to girls but unfortunately, in the world we live in, the scales aren’t balanced.

The names themselves are fine (I love [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] for a girl) and if we were in a different time I’d say they were fantastic but in the time we’re in… well, I wouldn’t do it.

I really hope this doesn’t come across as harsh (I don’t mean it to be!), just giving my two cents as someone who’s spent a lot of time with teenage boys.

3 Likes

I’d say yes - as middle names for two brothers.

1 Like

I think you could easily use both of them for boys. [name_f]My[/name_f] question would be, could you get away with using them on brothers? I’m not sure.

As a secondary teacher, I feel like the kids wouldn’t bat an eyelid at a male classmate called [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] or [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. However, if they found out about the brothers name then I could imagine all sorts of teasing about “oh your parents just wanted two girls so decided to give you girls names anyway” etc etc. If they had sisters, I don’t think the kids would make the same comments but a family of just two boys- personally I wouldn’t do it. I know this all sounds crazy but in my experience teenagers are crazy :joy:

3 Likes

I’d have to agree with most everyone so far. I think the time in which these names were used for males is too far removed and I don’t think they’re quite ready for a comeback as boy names. [name_m]Even[/name_m] knowing both names were once used for boys, I would still automatically assume they were both girls. I do like [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] for a boy, though, and had no issue seeing it on a main character in a book who was male once I got used to it. Ultimately, it would be your decision and I think people would get used to boys with those names eventually just like they get used to any unusual/uncommon name they hear.

1 Like

I think it’s too much. I’ve never met or even heard of a man named [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] or [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], and to be honest I think most boys would hate having a “girl’s name”, even if that name was considered unisex at some point in time. Using them together for brothers makes it sound like you’re trying to make a deliberate statement about gender.

2 Likes

I don’t think it could work. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] maybe, but I don’t think I can imagine a boy named [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]

1 Like

I like [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] for a boy. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I only know girl Merediths and even a baby girl [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. But for some reason there’s something masculine about it for me!

But I can’t get there with [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. It has too many girlie things going on. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is definitely a girl name and adding lyn, which I know some boy names do have but it’s been more of a girl thing, just screams feminine to me. Sorry. It would be like a boy named [name_f]Sue[/name_f] for me!

What about [name_u]Evren[/name_u]? This seems very unisex to me but weighs more boy. [name_u]Evren[/name_u] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] would be cool together as brother names!

1 Like

I think the kids would always have people assuming that they’re girls and it could also lead to bullying or problems with work IMO. I really like both names for girls but I don’t find them useable for boys.

1 Like

It seems like no one ever says that girls would “hate” a boys name or unisex name though or be bullied for it. The argument usually is more like don’t steal another name from the boys. Are we just too over sensitive when it comes to boys names and less daring than compared with how we name our daughters?

3 Likes

I may be in a minority on Nameberry but feel the same way about boy’s names on girls. If my parents had named me something like [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_m]John[/name_m], I think I would have hated it as a teenager, and I would never give my own daughter a boy’s name.

2 Likes

Personally, I agree with @choupette. I can’t see these names on boys.

2 Likes