Even more babies, even weirder names!

I thought I’d go back and look at last years births since this year has had some crazy names…last year was worse I think…you have to read this one, even if it’s only the boys for one VERY strange name I want you all to try and pronounce. You’ll know it when you see it (starts with a I)

Judging by this list, there aren’t many Berries living in my city >.<
Here’s some more from last year. i’ll astrick one’s I actually like. :

Boys:
Tanner
Luke (2)
Karson
Korbyn
Keagan
Rylan
Trevor *
Kareem
Je’Haree
Landyn
Kaiden
Ryan (2)
Ethan
Jadyn
Logan
Rudell
Theodore *
DeAnthony
Korbin
John
Jerry
Zainab
John (2)
Noah
Kavin
Fletcher *
Jaxsyn-Rae
Dylan
Hunter
Jacob
Xavier *
Jackson
Caleb
A’Zure
Royce
Talim
Nathan *
Blake
Jalyn
Jaiden
Ifunanyachukwu (O_O what?)
Ahmir
Isaac
Windell
Kamron
Kelton
Tre’vion
Aston
James *
Dante **
Cotton
Cage
Jacques
Kolbe
Anthony
Nicholas
Isaiah
Chance
Dailen
Marvion
Axle
Justin
Brody
Edrick
Cameron
Brayden
Brandon *
Hayden
Darrin

Girls:

Tia
Cadence
Ma’Riyah
Harmony (sort of like)
Brionna
Mary-madalyn
Aaliyah
Mary
La Nae
Skyler
Des’Mariah
Miliah
JaTorri
Arrmoni
Wren *
Mia
Jinelle
Charlee
Brooklynn
Shen’Daya
Grace (2)
Symiah
Shamariyah
Parris
Aubrielle (sort of like)
Misty
Emil
Faith
Stella *
Jaynie
Laniya
Ashlynn
LaToni
Londynn
Cordella
Jordan
Elizabeth
Kelsey
Kayla
Delasia
Allyssa
N’ivre
Ka’nah
Rylee
Breya
Zoe
Marriyah
Natalie
Bella
Amyah
Lila (2) *
Jillian (2)
Morgan
Dacie
Zayleigh
Pacie
Emily (2) *
Tenley
Jaides
Destiny
Emerson
May
Danica *
Autumn
Jacqueline (2)*
Daniya
Brekalyn
Abigale
Kamora
Mychall (I think this is a girl)
Sofia **
Erin
Ellie
Ophelia
Kylie
Brenda
Baraa
Bianca *
Kiara **
Bristol
Ren
Payton
Audrey
Aubree (2)
Kahliyan (interesting)
Armia
Lovely
Ciali
Kenzlee
Tayonna
Olivia (2)
Sydney
E’Liyah

I like these:

[name]Theodore[/name] *
[name]John[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name] *
[name]Royce[/name]
Talim
[name]Dante[/name] **
[name]Cotton[/name]
[name]Jacques[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Chance[/name]

[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Harmony[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] *
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Misty[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] *
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
Breya
[name]Lila[/name] (2) *
[name]Tenley[/name]
[name]May[/name]
[name]Danica[/name] *
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] **
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] *
[name]Bristol[/name]

The one that starts with I is African. My friend has a middle name very similar to that actually, haha.

On the other hand…[name]Cotton[/name]?! Cage?! Shamariyah?!

So glad to see [name]Misty[/name], btw!

Omg my eyes! Where do people come up with some of these names and spellings?!

1. Two n’s at the end does not a feminine name create.
  2. Brekalyn? BREKALYN?

With a few exceptions, that was entirely painful. :eek:

Yikes! I live in the South and you see A LOT of crazy names with extremely youneeekq spellings. I’m not saying [name]Emely[/name] for [name]Emily[/name] I mean [name]Emma[/name]'leigh for [name]Emily[/name].

The 'strange" name is Nigerian and means everything is possible with God. While it may be uncommon, why does it have to be “strange”? Probably the family are Nigerian or perhaps African and are paying honor to their family history.

Sorry but I disagree, it is indeed strange for the states, and saying a name is “strange” is not disrespectful (imo). If I named my daughter Soizic people here would think it was weird, heck naming a kid Enguerrand would be strange here which is why it’s probably best to have easy to say nn’s for these sort of names.

Would you find it strange then if an American moved to Nigeria (perhaps even temporarily on a work assignment) had a child and named them [name]Ryan[/name] then?

From a baby name announcement we don’t even know if the family were staying in the US for any length of time. So I do think it’s a bit judgmental to pick what seems to be a real name as opposed to a made up name in this case and call it strange just because we are unfamiliar with it.

Oh my eyes!
That is painful…ugh…I feel so bad for their future teachers…

I have several classmates with Nigerian names, and they are all long like that. They are very regal, though, and once you learn how to say them, it’s not that hard. Kids with African names tend to have at least one more common middle that they go by. There is a [name]Gwendolen[/name], a [name]Sally[/name], and a [name]Henrietta[/name], off the top of my head.

I like…

Boys:

[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] << love nn Teddy
Korbin << perfer Corbin
John
Noah
Dylan
James
Nicholas
Hayden

Girls:

Mary
Skyler
Charlee
Grace
Shamariyah << I have a cousin named Shemariah
Stella
Zoe
Emerson
Olivia

If I was Nigerian and the name [name]Ryan[/name] was totally foreign to me then yes, I would think it was a strange because it would be new to me. I might not think it was a strange choice since the parents were American but if Nigerians have trouble pronouncing it then I might wonder why they chose a name that is difficult for the culture they reside in at the time of birth to say. Doesn’t mean that I would disapprove, but I would probably think they need a nn people can pronounce while they live here.

I’ve never known [name]Dantae[/name] to post anything questionable or to be judgmental so I dont think she had any intentions to judge in a negative way, I think this is a list of interesting names for many of us :slight_smile:

A’Zure for a boy? I thought Azhure was a girl’s name. :slight_smile:

Personally I don’t get yooneek spellings, but that’s just me.

But the Nigerian one is pretty legit even though I find it strange, but thats because it feels strange in English whereas it would be totally normal in the language it originates from. :slight_smile:

I was calling the name strange because I couldn’t find any info on anywhere therefore was unaware if it were a real name or not. To me, it looks like a jumble of letters. Now that I know it’s a legit name, I don’t feel bad for calling it strange, but I don’t feel annoyed about it either because I now know it’s not just a weird jumble of letters. I’d love to know how to say it, but I do think it odd to name a child something so very hard to pronounce in the southern US if they’re living here. The mothers name was long too, but not nearly as complicated. I feel like the kid will have a very hard time in school with a name the people down here are not going to be familiar with at all.

That being said, I hope the argument ends. I might go back and look at more of my area hospitals and see if they’re all this bad. This was just the one I had planned to give birth in whenever the time comes. I’m going to go look at my second choice of hospitals.

I had hoped to see more “normal” names on here, makes me a little disappointed that apostrophes and yooneek spelling are apparently the thing to do here in central Arkansas >.<

A friend of mine recently named her daughter Indyanah [name]Grayce[/name]. I like the names and how they flow but the spelling is crazy!! Why do people feel the need to ruin perfectly good names with yoon33k spellings? :frowning:

In my experience, the pronunciation of Nigerian names is pretty straightforward.
Omowonuola = Oh-moh-wahn-oo-oh-la
I’d pronounce Ifunanyachukwu like If-oo-nan-ya-chook-woo, but I could be wrong.

I agree and I didn’t really mean to be picking on something specific to [name]Dantae[/name] - it’s just a general reaction to comments I have seen by people - clearly this is a US dominated forum in terms of the posters, but it is also very international with people from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, [name]France[/name], and many other countries. So when I sometimes see people react very strongly to a certain name I am aware that it could be seen from a completely different perspective in a different country - one example is [name]Ashley[/name] - mostly a girl’s name in the US and mostly a boy’s name in the UK. But if someone said they were considering [name]Ashley[/name] for their son, many US posters would just assume they meant in the US and would react strongly to it (well maybe not the people who think [name]Ashley[/name] should be usable on a boy too, LOL, but that’s another issue). I guess I was just making a point that sometimes we all need to ask if there is a reason behind a name that maybe we aren’t considering when we see a name that looks unusual to us.

Ifunanyachukwu is hard to say, but intruiging! I tell ya what - I’d much rather meet an Ifunanyachukwu than a Cage or a Zayleigh. ><

Who named their boy Zainab??? I’ve met a Zainab, she was a girl from Dubai. I’m pretty certain it’s a feminine Arabic name.