Everyone has an opinion

So everyone has an opinion it seems, on naming our second child. AND WE NEED MORE! We don’t know the sex yet. Big brother is [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

Girl name top contenders:

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Loraine[/name_f]

Boy top contenders:

[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]

The boy name is the hardest. Our first is named after family, so here are some other family names:

Boy

[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m]
[name_m]Parks[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]

Girl

[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_u]Michele[/name_u]

Help me with combos, middles, and if they sound okay with big brother? Last name starts with S rhymes with turkey.

Out of your top contenders I love [name_f]Florence[/name_f] & [name_m]Albert[/name_m] together. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]Orson[/name_m] sound equally great with [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

From your list I also adore [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Parks[/name_m] (though [name_m]Parks[/name_m] feels more off-beat than the others so might work better in the middle spot).

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Parks[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps.

Thank you, those are some beautiful combos. I’m glad to hear I’m not off base with our ideas. My great aunt is [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], it’s funny you should pick that combo. I really like [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Parks[/name_m] too! I wonder if a double middle name would be weird.

For boys:
I like [name_m]George[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] with [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

For girls:
I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] with [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

My favorites are [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], and [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. [name_m]Albert[/name_m] is English and vintage to me, so I would just stay away from something super modern.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Michele[/name_u]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Loraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m]

Lots of pretty name combos. Would [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] be out for everyone? It was my grandmother’s name so I’m fond of it. I thought if we ever had 2 girls they could be [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] for the subtle place-name sibset.

[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] sounds a little dated to me since the only one I know is in her 60s. I have a hard time seeing it on a little girl. It is a pretty sound though so if you love it I think it’s still useable.

Oh really?! :smiley: [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is a beautiful name!

I love double middles! I think you could definitely play around with your options and see what works. You’ve got some magic names on your list so I’m sure you’ll find some winner combinations.

I’m fond of names that sounds dated. Something that we thing is date now, could be all the rage in 5 years. Look at all the names that are popping up recently. [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] is closing in on the 100 year rule. It was my grandmother’s name, and my best friend’s middle name so I am so drawn to it. But there are other girl names I love. I think the issue with girls names is that there are so many I like! With boys I feel like I’ve already used my favorite.

Today my DH suggested adding [name_m]Winston[/name_m] to the list for a boy.

I might be in the minority here, but I actually think the idea of a baby [name_f]Loraine[/name_f]/[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] is charming and sweet.
Ordinarily, I would prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f] to [name_f]Loraine[/name_f], but since you mentioned your last name starts with an “S”…
Well, saying “[name_f]Florence[/name_f] S(ur-key)” five times fast isn’t an easy feat without [name_f]Florence[/name_f] sounding a bit slurred or tripped over in the process. I might suggest moving away from names that end in a sharp “S” sound to avoid the phonetic difficulties.
However, if that is not at all a problem in your opinion, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is still a really attractive and lovely name.
[name_m]Just[/name_m], considering my personal observations, I would be leaning more towards [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] as an option. :slight_smile:

Since [name_m]Albert[/name_m] has a particular feel to it, I think [name_m]George[/name_m] or [name_m]Edward[/name_m] would fit better than [name_m]Orson[/name_m].

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] “Surkey” has a problem with the /s/ sound at the end of [name_f]Florence[/name_f] running in to the /s/ at the front of Surkey. On your list, [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], and [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] fit nicely with [name_m]Albert[/name_m], and avoid the /s/ problem.

Good luck!

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

Since your last name starts with S, I would avoid [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_m]Orson[/name_m], as both names sound too hissy when the full name is said.

I actually like the “dated” charm of [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] (prefer the double R spelling).

I love your husband’s suggestion of [name_m]Winston[/name_m], so that gets my vote from all of your choices. But, really, any name without a strong S sound would work well with [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

Thanks all! We found out today baby is a boy. So I have to forgo my girly favorites. I think. DH suggested [name_u]Florian[/name_u] for a boy or perhaps using [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] as a middle name for our second son.

Is that out of bounds?

I’m sad to give up my girl names.

I love V names so [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is a winner for me.

I think [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Winston[/name_m], and [name_u]Florian[/name_u] are all great options with your surname and brother [name_m]Albert[/name_m]. Have you given thought to potential nicknames you’d like to use or avoid? [name_m]Edward[/name_m] has [name_m]Ed[/name_m], [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], [name_m]Ned[/name_m], [name_m]Ward[/name_m]; [name_m]Winston[/name_m] could be [name_u]Win[/name_u] or [name_u]Tony[/name_u]; [name_u]Florian[/name_u] might get shortened to [name_f]Flor[/name_f]. I don’t know if that helps narrow the choices or not…
A couple other thoughts: how about using [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as a middle name since it’s similar to [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Loraine[/name_f]? Also wanted to mention that I know a man named [name_m]Florin[/name_m] if you prefer two syllables to three.