Everyone hates the name I love

Hello! I’m expecting my fourth child (and third daughter) later this year. I have two girls already - V@lentina and Lun@.

I absolutely love [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] for this baby. I think it goes nicely with the other girls, yet has a different number of syllables. I just think it’s perfect.

But literally every single person in my life either laughs or says they hate the name. It’s grannyish and ugly.

I need some reassurance that this isn’t a crazy name to give to a baby? Surely any old lady associations would disappear once it’s on a baby they love?

I’ve tried to find other name options, but nothing is right like [name_f]Silvia[/name_f].

:weary:

3 Likes

I agree with you! The only only thing that I would say makes it sound odd would be the spelling. Maybe [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]? It gives it more of a ‘youthful elf’ vibe in my opinion lol. I think it matches beautifully with the associations of the night with [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and it’s the best length! [name_f]Do[/name_f] they have middle names? You don’t have to share them, but with the wrong middles, it definitely could wreck the whole “vibe” [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] gives. Are there nickname ideas? Could people think you would call her [name_m]Sil[/name_m]? imo, that is grannyish. Not a crazy name at all, it is stunning! :bouquet:

3 Likes

I readily admit to being into granny names, but I love it! I do think of the spelling [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] first, but I don’t know that I would have been able to tell you which one was the “original” either way.

I LOVE [name_f]Silvia[/name_f]! It’s such a pretty sounding name, I have no clue why other people would think it’s ugly. Your daughter’s names are fantastic!

It’s a lovely name and goes very well with your other girls names! I don’t think it’s old ladyish at all. It’s pretty feminine with some spunk and unique with out being to out there. The only thing I would say is that I think the spelling [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is better. Other than that I think it’s a great name (there’s also cute nn options if that’s something you want like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] or Via)

I love Sylvia!!! Actually one of my fave random names (meaning names that surprised me that I liked) is [name_u]Silver[/name_u]. 100% I’d leverage that as a potential nickname for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

sylvia (that spelling in particular i think) is SUCH a gorgeous name. i knew a little girl named sylvia and it never felt old to me

Ditto to all the other responses! [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is lovely and works great with her sisters!

I absolutely love [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] and I think it’s perfect! I’m sorry you’ve gotten such horrible feedback. Those are horrible things to say about a name someone loves, and especially one that has timeless appeal.

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Please don’t let their negativity get to you. It sure feels nice when you get complimented on your choices but nothing -from your baby’s name to the color of your walls- should be determined by what someone else thinks. [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is really pretty.

1 Like

[name_f]Silvia[/name_f] goes well with your other names and seems quite on trend. 10 or 15 years ago I would have been surprised, but it’s on point. I’d just say you’re perhaps slightly ahead of the trends (I’d have to look at the numbers to be sure) and that [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] may be more on trend, but I don’t think that matters. Don’t let the naysayers cramp your style!

1 Like

I like the name [name_f]Silivia[/name_f], it makes me think of the colour silver and it would go well with her sister’s names. It’s funny that so many people are all fussed over names being “dated” because even the names that are popular now were probably used a long time ago as well and they just weren’t as popular back then.

1 Like

What the heck? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is lovely! I admittedly prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], but don’t feel that strongly about the spelling. Your daughters’ names are a bit more Italian-y, and the [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] spelling fits in well. And then there’s the adorable pixie-ish nn [name_f]Silvie[/name_f]? What’s not to love? [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is kind of granny-ish, sure. But granny names are chic and way coming back. Some more than others. The sound and vibe of [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] though feels fresh and ready for a comeback. I wouldn’t worry about what people say. The only person who matters is you and a co-parent. If you name your baby [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], and your friends and family see the name [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] attached to a sweet little baby in their life, they’ll start to like it just fine.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

silvia is gorgeous! i say don’t worry about what other people say because in the end, it matters that you love the name and that it’s special to you. if anything, the silvia spelling seems very fresh compared to sylvia.

I’m super picky about names and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is gorgeous! I adore the name/nickname [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and have met a couple of toddlers/kids with that name. You could also go with the more trendy Liv/Livvy as a nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] guess is whoever you’re telling isn’t as knowledgeable about current names trends?
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] goes perfectly with big sisters names!

Silvia is lovely, not too old at all! It is absolutely gorgeous with your other daughters’ names. I say go for it! With similar names, like Sylvie, on the rise, Silvia seems elegant and stylish.

I agree! If they aren’t convinced before, I’m sure they would be once it was on a real person

I really like [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] and I vastly prefer this spelling. To my eye [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is a bit musty but [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is fresher and more energetic. I also agree with your assessment of it next to your daughters’ names.

Also when I saw the subject line of this post I really braced myself for an awful name and I’m so pleasantly surprised! [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is great. And yes, naysayers will come around as they get used to it.

2 Likes

I adore [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] !

I love it! There’s a little [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] at our daycare who goes by [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and she’s just adorable! I’m more familiar with the Y spelling but I think [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is fine too.

2 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name! [name_u]Perfect[/name_u] with older sisters!

1 Like