everyone seems to hate this name except ME!

What are your favorite names that nobody else seems to like? It could be your friends or family don’t like it or name message board friends don’t like it… what’s your guilty pleasure? Your favorite ‘trendy’ name? Or maybe it’s super old and outdated? Or maybe a famous person/cartoon character uses it? Maybe the meaning sucks? [name]Do[/name] tell! :slight_smile:

Mine are:
[name]Homer[/name] - I love that it has ‘home’ in it. D’Oh!
[name]Huxley[/name] - my friend said it reminded her too much of The Huxtables & she hates it. It also means “inhospitable place”.
Tyce - I feel like [name]Thijs[/name] would be so difficult for people to read/write/say but Tyce has the same noise & I like it
Avonlea - “too much” & “you’ve never even been to [name]Canada[/name]” :frowning:
[name]Keeva[/name] - another one I like! I know, I know, [name]Caoimhe[/name]'s beautiful and great & SERIOUSLY hard to read/write/say in the US
& finally:
[name]Bruno[/name] - everyone on nameberry loves it (as do I, it’s my #1 name for a boy) & it’s so meaningful. It’s my SO’s grandfather’s name. Perfect, right? Well we were talking about names & my mother-in-law was telling me how she named my SO. She finished the story by saying “So I think [name]Nicholas[/name] has worked out pretty well. I mean, it’s not like I named him [name]Bruno[/name]!!” … AHHH!!! I didn’t say anything but my SO said my face was SHOCKED.

What are your favorite names that get hated on?

I love [name]Homer[/name]!!

Mine are [name]Kit[/name] and [name]Wren[/name]. Fine on Nameberry, but in the real world I don’t get great reactions! :frowning:

My all time favorite guilty pleasure name is [name]LaRue[/name]. I read a great WW2 saga that had a character by this name. When I casually brought it up while pregnant with my first, my grandmother nearly had a heart attack. She was appalled that I could consider using a name that literally meant “the street”. I guess she has a point…

I love [name]Homer[/name] too. It’s a family name, and I could honestly care less about the cartoon character. [name]Huxley[/name] actually means something more along the lines of “woodland clearing.”

http://nookofnames.com/2011/09/01/surnames-as-first-names-h/

Also, I think [name]Bruno[/name] [name]Mars[/name] has done a lot for [name]Bruno[/name]'s image.

[name]Homer[/name] just makes me think of [name]Homer[/name] [name]Simpson[/name], so I wouldn’t use it…

[name]Huxley[/name] isn’t that bad.

[name]Keeva[/name]'s alright

Avonlea always make me think of the beauty company [name]Avon[/name].

Tyce seems unfinished, it’s too nicknamy

I’m not a fan of [name]Bruno[/name], it reminds me of Pokemon for some reason…

A name I love that no one else does is [name]Euphemia[/name], but I understand why, it’s not very common…

[name]Astrid[/name]. Pretty much everyone irl hates it. When i was pregnant with Vio my sister used to tease me about this name then there just has to go and be an episode of The Office where [name]Jan[/name] names her baby [name]Astrid[/name] and it is mispelled as Astird.

I love names like Graylee and [name]Shaylee[/name] but everyone on name berry seems to hate them! I don’t think you guys are big fans of [name]Agnes[/name] either…

Kol.

Very few like this name because they think it’s a “youneek” modern spelling and unnecessary when there’s [name]Cole[/name]. It’s actually far more legitmate and older than [name]Cole[/name]. It’s from the Viking Ages!

Actually, it gets a lot of love here. I don’t understand why at all personally, though!

Mine would have to be [name]Ebenezer[/name]

[name]Harlow[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Enoch[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] have gotten some pretty bad reactions!

I said I liked the name [name]Nolan[/name] for a boy and I got the craziest looks from my family. They also hate [name]Sebastian[/name] & [name]Jasper[/name] for boys which I love!
As for girls, I like [name]Seraphina[/name] but others don’t like it :frowning:

Oh I have a lot that most people don’t like. My mom wrinkles her nose every time I mention Eily or Eilonwy, but I can’t help loving it. It’s been our top girl name for 3 years now. Most people here don’t like it either. I also love [name]Raven[/name], Kestrel, [name]Wren[/name], and [name]Lark[/name]. I just like too many hippie names :wink: For boys, I love [name]Phineas[/name], [name]Jethro[/name], and [name]Roscoe[/name], but those don’t go over well with very many people. [name]Ah[/name] well, I still have a lot of time to decide if they’re worth fighting for :slight_smile:
By the way, I’m totally with you on [name]Keeva[/name]! That is just the best spelling option for that name in the U.S. After all, we have hundreds of “acceptable” names that are just transliterations from another language (and often another alphabet). Like every single Bible name out there. Besides, most people are ok with [name]Neve[/name] instead of [name]Niamh[/name]. I don’t see what the difference is for [name]Keeva[/name].
I like all of your names, except maybe [name]Homer[/name]. Not cause of the Simpsons (I’ve never watched that show), but because I just don’t really like the sound. Plus, it makes me think of a homing pigeon. Interesting birds, but not necessarily great for a namesake.

Edit: I need to also add Cedar. I think it has such a great sound and imagery for a boy’s name, but sadly my husband doesn’t agree. He did say I could use it as a middle name if we have another boy though :slight_smile:

I love hanging out on Nameberry because of the names that each of us love and that love gets so much understanding. Honestly, I’ve never shared the names I really love with any of my rl friends and family. Mostly because they’d ask me if I was pregnant, or they are pregnant or TTC. (I don’t know how I’d feel about them using one of my favorite names - but I figure if I don’t tell them and they get there on their own I can’t get mad, can I?).

No one irl like any of the names I like. All the kids/babies I know either have top 100 names or really yooneek names/spellings. My brother and his girlfriend are in the process of trying to name their son and had settled on [name]Silas[/name] for a while and my mom FREAKED out. “It’s horrible!” “It’s ugly!” “Why can’t you name him something normal??” I can’t imagine how she’d react to some of the names I like (I stopped discussing names with her a few years ago because she was pretty negative… and the names I liked back then were down right normal — [name]Malachi[/name], [name]Peyton[/name], [name]Arielle[/name] and now my favorites tend to be considered “weird” by non-berries).

Sidenote: people’s love of [name]Bruno[/name] baffles me, to be honest. Did no one see the movie [name]Bruno[/name] starring [name]Sacha[/name] [name]Baron[/name] [name]Cohen[/name]??? Or was it just my guy friends who were obsessed with that vulgar, slightly-offensive movie? Maybe it’s not on peoples minds anymore since it’s been 3ish years since it came out? The first thing that pops into my head when I hear “[name]Bruno[/name]” is the character shaking his ahem "equipment… and everyone saying “Bruuuuno!”

Athénaïs- no one else I know irl seems to like it despite the fact that it’s gained a lot of popularity where most of them are, it’s either too hard to bear or too snobby, no one here can say it (which is understandable) so they think it’s ugly. My [name]MIL[/name] hates it but if I could get my husband on board with it I would use it in a heartbeat. I keep it in my serious contenders for mn list for now.

@lahdeedah Bruno is a very old name and very popular in some countries so I don’t think the movie is what comes to a majority of people’s minds.

I used to love the name [name]Charlotte[/name] when I was younger but everyone around me hated it. Then, I named my dog [name]Charlotte[/name].

[name]Michaela[/name] has always been a guilty pleasure of mine that no one likes…everyone likes [name]Mikayla[/name] or some trendy variation. I also love [name]Crew[/name] and [name]Graham[/name] for boys and [name]Haven[/name] for a girl, all of which have gotten me some crazy looks from friends/family.

I used to love the name [name]Amity[/name]. That never went over well when I told people. They thought I was strange. I named my son [name]Cuyler[/name](pronounced [name]Kyler[/name]) and got some, well lack of reaction I guess. People would just say, “Oh, I’ve …uh… never heard that before.” People are used to it now, and I have gotten quite a few compliments on it actually. My guilty pleasure is [name]Kensington[/name]/nn Kensi for a girl. That would not go over well in real life, nor does it on nameberry! :slight_smile:

homer and bruno a very good name.

regards,
about the mothers and babies