Evie or Eliza

Which name do you think is nicer for a girl? All pregnancy I was thinking [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] but really can’t decide now.
Not sure if [name_f]Evie[/name_f] has gotten so popular that I should choose [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or if it’s better to choose the more popular name.
We are in Australia for reference

Thanks

While I like [name_f]Evie[/name_f], I do think Ev- names in general are so popular right now that it might be better to go with the less common option if that’s a concern. However, if you love [name_f]Evie[/name_f] more than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], then there’s certainly no reason not to use it.

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is bright and spunky and would make a darling choice for a girl today, and it will age very well (not that [name_f]Evie[/name_f] wouldn’t). I’m rooting for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]!

3 Likes

Let me start by saying, I love both [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! I don’t think you can go wrong here.

I’m not in Australia, so I looked up a bit of popularity data to get a feel for how used these names are there. It looks like [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] are both in the top 15, with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] also rounding out the top 40. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] ranks in the top 80. So combining [name_f]Evie[/name_f] plus similar names, it is considerably more common than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] (probably near the very top). But both names are well-used, and neither is the #1, so if you prefer [name_f]Evie[/name_f], I wouldn’t necessarily let the popularity stop you!

I like nicknames-as-full-names, and I get the sense they’re more widely accepted where you are than where I am anyway, so that wouldn’t deter me from [name_f]Evie[/name_f] either. But [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is just such an energetic, classic-yet-modern, spunky, lovely choice; I find it hard to turn down. So I think my vote is for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I also love [name_f]Evie[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as a first-middle combo if that’s on the table!

3 Likes

I honestly prefer [name_f]Evie[/name_f] over [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I think after reading your post, [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] does seem like it could be a better fit for you!

[name_f]My[/name_f] S/O has a common name and has never been bothered one way or another by it. His was perpetually a top 10 name here for almost 40 years, I believe, and he doesn’t mind it, but I’ve heard other people who have been really disappointed by being one of a few in their class. I think it’s a bit of a personal comfort thing!

1 Like

Yes I’ve got a bit of debate with myself about what I like more :joy:. I never knew anyone with my name growing up and although I didn’t care at times I know it bothered me cause I felt like it was a bit weird (not that it was) and I also couldn’t really shorten it or get a nickname out of it. I think I liked my name better when friends come up with a nn.

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is too much of a nickname for my liking.

1 Like

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is so funky yet classic -i like it a lot

1 Like

I vote for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

1 Like

Hello, fellow Australian!

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] sounds more like a complete name, whereas [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is very much a nickname, and may not sound great in professional setting when she’s older. Obviously, [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is traditionally short for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but I think it stands well on its own now.

I’d say either [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], or [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u].

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Evie[/name_f] but [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is really lovely too!!

1 Like

I love both, but I think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is a little softer and therefore wins my vote by a small margin!!

1 Like

I love both of these names, but I’m leaning towards [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] (which is classic, pretty, and not overused) because Ev names are very popular right now, and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] lends itself more easily to nicknames than [name_f]Evie[/name_f], which already seems like a nickname.

1 Like

As a stand alone name, definitely [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I do love [name_f]Evie[/name_f] as a nn.
Good full names for [name_f]Evie[/name_f] could be [name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] etc although a personal favourite that might be slightly more unexpected is [name_u]Vivian[/name_u].
Or you could go with a similar sounding [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] (Eefa) but the spelling is a little tricky

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my favorite! Beautiful and elegant :blush:
[name_f]Evie[/name_f] is cute, but I would use it as a nickname.

I adore the name [name_f]Evie[/name_f], especially as a nickname for something longer like [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Reverie[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is definitely the less popular of the two, but still wearable and easy to pronounce. If that’s the one you were loving your whole pregnancy, I say go for it!

I like [name_f]Evie[/name_f] a lot despite the popularity of Ev- names. But [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is very lovely and spunky. I think if you are concerned about the popularity then [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] might be a better choice.

both are gorgeous names. [name_f]Evie[/name_f] feels gentle, sweet, and introverted to me, and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] feels lively and spontaneous. all great traits, just different vibes in my view. I like @dandy_orchid ‘s suggestion of [name_f]Evie[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]

Thanks for all the feedback on the names! It’s so nice to find out what others think about a name when you’re feeling undecided :hugs:

1 Like

I would say choose the one that goes better with the middle and last name.