Expecting A Little Girl, Looking For A Name With "Bounce"

Hello there,

I’ve found myself in a bit of a pickle regarding names, and a friend of mine reccomended this website (she has been kind enough to let me use her computer to do this, as I actually don’t have one of my own as of yet, although I understand I can post responses via my phone?)

I am expecting a girl and we are pretty much stuck on names for her, we had our boy name all picked out as I was sure she was a little lad (boys run quite strongly in both our families) but this is a lovely surprise for us! Its just a little problematic thinking of names, nothing seems to feel “right”, although luckily we both have rather similar tastes.

We want something with a bounce to it, a name that just seems “happy”. We apparantley like names with a Southern vibe to them, although we are from the UK. Knowing us this little one will probably be a bit of a character, so we’re looking for something strong that could fit a feisty personality. I have always been a fan of names, if there is such a thing, and this being our first I am determined to find something perfect for her.

Am I being too vague? Perhaps it would help to know a few names on our list? So far, we have considered [name]Marjorie[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Paulina[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] most seriously, but we’re not set on any of them. Its a pathetically small list and we really want to expand our options if you can help us! I also rather like the nickname [name]Polly[/name], but I just can’t find a full name for it that I like as much. Its the main reason we are considering [name]Paulina[/name], which I find so elegant, but I worry that its too old fashioned.I also really like [name]Georgina[/name], but my partner is not keen, otherwise it would be one of my favourite options. He also likes the name [name]Monica[/name], which I do think is nice, it just doesn’t feel right for some reason.

So, if you have any ideas we’d be forever grateful! I guess we’re just looking for something classy but fun.

Hm. Okay, let me give this a go!

[name]Aviva[/name]
[name]Adora[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Elora[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
Hosanna
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Katya[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Lisbeth[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Madelaine[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Roxana[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Sosie[/name] - [name]Susannah[/name] nickname?
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Valerie[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

So far, we have considered [name]Marjorie[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Paulina[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] most seriously, but we’re not set on any of them. Its a pathetically small list and we really want to expand our options if you can help us! I also rather like the nickname [name]Polly[/name], but I just can’t find a full name for it that I like as much. Its the main reason we are considering [name]Paulina[/name], which I find so elegant, but I worry that its too old fashioned.

I also really like [name]Georgina[/name], but my partner is not keen, otherwise it would be one of my favourite options. He also likes the name [name]Monica[/name], which I do think is nice, it just doesn’t feel right for some reason.

To respond to your list:
[name]Marjorie[/name]. I like [name]Margo[/name] so much better! To me, [name]Marjorie[/name] is still old (although apparently ready to be reborn?).
[name]Lorelei[/name]. Nice. More feminine and frilly than spunky to me. I like [name]Lori[/name]. It is a “bounce” name. But I grew up with dozens of them so I can’t imagine it on a contemporary child.
[name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it. And [name]Addy[/name] is bouncy and adorable! [name]Adele[/name] is a nice alternative.
[name]Paulina[/name]. I’m really liking this for you. If you find [name]Paulina[/name] elegant and [name]Polly[/name] adorable and bouncy, what’s not to love? I wouldn’t worry too much about old-fashioned. It seems to me in that group of “old-fashioned” names now new again. At least enough people will see it that way. Also you could just use [name]Polly[/name] alone. It is being done. You just have to figure out if you would do it.
[name]Susannah[/name]. I like it – with all three syllables. I don’t know if you can find a good nn, as I think [name]Suzie[/name] is so out. [name]Sukey[/name]?
[name]Georgina[/name]. Would your partner consider [name]Georgia[/name]? Would you? [name]How[/name] about [name]Geneva[/name]?
[name]Monica[/name]. I think you are wise here. This is a (pretty) dated name. It just says 1970s to me (although I still like it). [name]Monico[/name] would be more contemporary. So would [name]Gemma[/name]. So would [name]Angelica[/name] ([name]Angie[/name]), [name]Jamaica[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], and [name]Luca[/name].

A few ideas to find “bounce” and elegance too.

[name]Clementine[/name]/[name]Emme[/name], [name]Clemmie[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]/ [name]Maggie[/name]/[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Roxanne[/name]/ [name]Roxie[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name],[name]Rosemund[/name],[name]Rosemary[/name]/[name]Rosie[/name]

What about [name]Clementine[/name]? It is a nameberry favorite that seems perfect for you!

I also love [name]Lemon[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Georgina[/name]. [name]Georgie[/name] is such a spunky nickname!

I’m trying to think of a full name for [name]Polly[/name]. [name]Mary[/name] is probably not “bouncy” enough for you. [name]Apollonia[/name] maybe? Ooooh, [name]Penelope[/name] is really spunky, and I can see a [name]Penelope[/name] being called [name]Polly[/name]!

I second [name]Penelope[/name]! I have an auntie who is [name]Penelope[/name] but goes by [name]Polly[/name].
I think both [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Polly[/name] have ‘bounce’ and are really cute and spunky!

A girl’s name with “bounce”. Here are some suggestions.

[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Adriana[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Justina[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Electra[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Daria[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Valeria[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Mahalia[/name]
[name]Alethea[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Selina[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Arielle[/name]
[name]Simona[/name]
[name]Yolanda[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Maxima[/name]
[name]Harmony[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Amity[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Katia[/name]
[name]Salome[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Grania[/name]

As I was reading your post the name that popped into my mind was [name]Marjorie[/name]!
Then I read further, and saw that you had considered it. I don’t think it’s too old fashioned at all.

For [name]Polly[/name], what about [name]Apolline[/name]?

[name]Molly[/name]?

I’m astonished at how quickly the responses have come in, and at the detail, thank you all for replying.I fear it would take me too long to reply to each of you individually, and to be honest I am dreadful with computers, but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your help.

The names that stood out to me were: [name]Delilah[/name] (although the popularity of [name]Lila[/name] puts me off slightly), [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Amelia[/name] (becoming too popular?, [name]Clarissa[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name].

I do like [name]Penelope[/name], but its just a little too flouncy for me personally. I would adore it on somebody else’s child, it just doesn’t feel right for us. [name]Clementine[/name] is an odd one to me, I can appreciate it but I think my family and friends would think I was 'pulling a [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow", and it seems too much name to put on a child.

bonnie1107, it was certainly helpful to see your opinions on our current list! I thank you! I would love to use [name]Polly[/name] on its own, and using nicknames as names is incredibly popular here. However, I just find it a little incomplete for my liking, and would only use it with the option of a fuller name to use if she fancies. Neither me nor my partner like [name]Georgia[/name] enough to use, and I would feel it was too much of an alternative to [name]Georgina[/name], which I much prefer. I’m not cmplaining, its more iportant to discover a name we both love equally, which I am sure we will do.

Ducky, I am glad you like [name]Marjorie[/name]! It is one of my absoloute favourites. I think [name]Appoline[/name] is too ‘out there’ for us, although it is certainly pretty. Although I am trying to avoid overly popular names, I would like them to be known in a way…

I came across the name [name]Sojourner[/name] earlier, which I am rather liking. What do you all think of it? And please do continue suggesting any ideas you can think of.

If it helps, her middle names will most likely be [name]Grace[/name], [name]Karen[/name] or [name]Beth[/name] as they are all important family names.But that can be worked around after the first name is chosen.

[name]Hi[/name] - I’m in the UK, too :smiley:

Well, a happy name which also gives me a Southern vibe would have to be [name]Bonnie[/name]! I have no idea how Southern it is, but the only [name]Bonnie[/name] I’ve ever known was American.

Actually, how about [name]Blythe[/name] (or [name]Blithe[/name]), too? A lovely meaning. Now I’m just hearing that rhyme “And the child that is born on the Sabbath day is bonnie and blithe, and good and gay.”

I really like [name]Marjorie[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] (how about [name]Susannah[/name] nn [name]Sunny[/name] or [name]Sukie[/name], if you want something other than [name]Susie[/name] or [name]Anna[/name]?). There’s nothing wrong with [name]Lorelai[/name] or [name]Paulina[/name] at all, they’re just not my personal favourites. And don’t worry about [name]Paulina[/name] being old-fashioned if you love it - in a couple of decades 50s names like [name]Paulina[/name] will be as hip as vintage choices like [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name] are now, and the nickname [name]Polly[/name] is timeless, and one of my favourites, too.

You could also consider [name]Paloma[/name] nn [name]Polly[/name]. Of course, [name]Paloma[/name] [name]Faith[/name] is currently an association, but I don’t think she’s a bad one, and I just love the name (and the meaning, dove).

Similar to your choices in style, and particularly [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Monica[/name] in sound, my suggestion for you would be [name]Agatha[/name]. Beautiful, unusual, but easy to spell and pronounce, it is completely ready for a revival and offers the adorable, spunky, lively nickname [name]Aggie[/name].

Another option for you, if you’re really looking for an unusual, very happy choice, but with a classic element, would be a classic name with an unusual nickname, or the reverse. An example of classic/unusual (aside from [name]Susannah[/name] nn [name]Sunny[/name]) would be [name]Harriet[/name] nn [name]Happy[/name], and an example of unusual/classic would be [name]Juniper[/name] nn [name]June[/name].

Good luck! [name]Auburn[/name]

I love [name]Paulina[/name] and [name]Polly[/name]. I like [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Lorelei[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] too.
More ideas-
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
Kitra
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Keturah[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Summer[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Junia[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Jacinda[/name]

hmm, a southern style name with bounce and spunkiness…

I love [name]Polly[/name] but think it should be the nickname of a longer name. On that note, I think [name]Pauline[/name] or [name]Paulina[/name] are both striking. I can’t say I’m very fond of [name]Marjorie[/name] (also think margerine butter substitute) or [name]Lorelei[/name]. Of your other original names, I really like [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name].

I want to second (in order of favorites) [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Delilah[/name] and [name]Agatha[/name].

What about
[name]Francesca[/name] – nickname [name]Frankie[/name] has lots of spunk.
[name]Margaret[/name] nn Pegge
[name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Lotta[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]

I also think the name [name]Giselle[/name] has a lot of spunk (I think gazelle!) but it doesn’t seem to fit with your style.

I might take a sort of different route on this one. Same of the names that the previous posters are mentioning are older names, and many of them do have bounce, however when i think of a little girl that is playful, outgoing with a great personality these are the names that i think of:
[name]Piper[/name] - this is the first name that shot o my mind when reading your post
[name]Summer[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Emme[/name]
[name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] nn [name]Romy[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Tibby[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Fallon[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] nn [name]Frankie[/name]
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Freja[/name]

I particularly like (combos - including your middle names)
[name]Summer[/name] [name]Beth[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] [name]Beth[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Karen[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I personally really like the happy name ‘[name]Bliss[/name]’ for a girl!
You can also spell it [name]Blisse[/name], [name]Blyss[/name], or [name]Blysse[/name].
Best,
L.

Would the name [name]Pollyanna[/name] [name]Grace[/name] be too much for a girl to handle? You could call her [name]Polly[/name] and no one would be any wiser about the -anna. [name]Pollyanna[/name] was a character of eternal optimism and in these trying times, optimism is one quality that is in short supply. [name]Just[/name] a thought.

I think:
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Hattie[/name]
[name]Aira[/name]
Dancy
[name]Romy[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Clea[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Nella[/name]
[name]Leta[/name]
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Aida[/name]
[name]Cady[/name]
[name]Eunice[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
Annabeth
[name]Neva[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Carly[/name]
[name]Leonor[/name]
Aglaia
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Leda[/name]
Leto

I do like [name]Penelope[/name], but its just a little too flouncy for me personally. I would adore it on somebody else’s child, it just doesn’t feel right for us. [name]Clementine[/name] is an odd one to me, I can appreciate it but I think my family and friends would think I was 'pulling a [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow", and it seems too much name to put on a child.

bonnie1107, it was certainly helpful to see your opinions on our current list! I thank you! I would love to use [name]Polly[/name] on its own, and using nicknames as names is incredibly popular here. However, I just find it a little incomplete for my liking, and would only use it with the option of a fuller name to use if she fancies. Neither me nor my partner like [name]Georgia[/name] enough to use, and I would feel it was too much of an alternative to [name]Georgina[/name], which I much prefer. I’m not cmplaining, its more iportant to discover a name we both love equally, which I am sure we will do.

Ducky, I am glad you like [name]Marjorie[/name]! It is one of my absoloute favourites. I think [name]Appoline[/name] is too ‘out there’ for us, although it is certainly pretty. Although I am trying to avoid overly popular names, I would like them to be known in a way…

So – then – to respond to your response –

Maybe [name]Delilah[/name] – if you like [name]Delia[/name]. She doesn’t have to go by [name]Lilah[/name]. And I’m sure there are plenty of good nn hiding in there – including [name]Dolly[/name].

I’m still liking [name]Paulina[/name]/[name]Polly[/name] for you. I think maybe your fears that [name]Paulina[/name] is too old-fashioned may be unfounded. I checked nameberry’s online name dictionary, and it said: “More stylish than either [name]Paula[/name] or [name]Pauline[/name], it was given a glamour gloss by model [name]Paulina[/name] Porizkova in the nineties.” I think this name might hit that sweet spot for you between too popular and too unknown, trendy, or recently invented.

[name]Marjorie[/name] – You should use this if you love it, needless to say, but I can’t personally get excited about it! (But you aren’t naming your child for me!) Again, I checked the nameberry’s online reference to see if I was the odd one here, but I have to say the naming dictionary didn’t sound much more excited than I am. “Midcentury favorite that dates to medieval times – said to have faded with advent of the word “margarine”.” I wondered if ‘margarine’ was my problem with it, but I don’t think so. I just hear it as a name from my (dying) mother’s generation. There are a few names from that generation that are making a comeback (Eulalah), but I can’t wrap my mind around [name]Marjorie[/name] as one of them. Are there other [name]Margaret[/name] variations you might love? [name]How[/name] about [name]Margaret[/name] itself? I adore [name]Maisie[/name]. [name]Margaretta[/name] is, no doubt, too frilly for you (although I love it). I am curious about one thing, if you use [name]Marjorie[/name], do you see it was a ‘[name]Polly[/name]’ sort of name or do you see yourself using a ‘[name]Polly[/name]’ sort of tweak – [name]Marjie[/name]?

I second [name]Piper[/name] and [name]Summer[/name] as great “bounce” names.

It’s probably on a list here, but just in case no one else mentioned it, [name]Phoebe[/name]!

Names with bounce

[name]Belle[/name] my granddaughter’s name and she is incredibly pretty with the gift of the gab and all the poise in the world, and she loves her name. I think this is a premier ‘bounce’ name.

then
[name]Arabella[/name] I always imagine a little girl whose demeanour is so confident that she is bordering on precocious (but isn’t) with a long pretty dress with frills on it and who has long brown hair in ringlets. I call it a ‘look at ME’ name.

and
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Sally[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name] a standout bounce name

best wishes

rollo :slight_smile: