Expired Pregnancy Test

Tested on day 24 of about a typical 26 day cycle.

Used first morning urine. Only had an expired pregnancy test. It definitely has 2 lines although the second is faint.

Obviously I will need to get a new test and depending on results proceed for lab work.

I have googled the reliability of expired tests but am looking to you moms on your experience. False negatives seem to be more common but it is positive.

Have you used an expired test?

Were the results accurate?

@hyacinthbucket Didn’t you have an expired test that was still accurate with [name_u]Bao[/name_u]??

2 Likes

Thanks for the follow-up! [name_f]My[/name_f] mind is all over the place. I was really sure I was pregnant before testing but now I am not wanting to jump to conclusions.

From what I have read, expired tests inaccuracy seems to be testing negative when positive but very rarely testing positive when negative.

1 Like

I don’t really have any experience with this but just from my basic understanding of how pregnancy tests work I’d agree with you that you’re more likely to get a false negative then a false positive.

Fingers crossed for you!

I also did the same sorts of googling… yes I first used an expired test with my current bun [name_u]Bao[/name_u]. It was indeed an accurate positive.

The other major factor you haven’t mentioned is the quality of the test. The quality of the test pretty well correlates with the quality of the chemicals used, which probably correlates with the half-life of the compounds. The expiration date listed is more likely to be about the standard shelf life of the chemical ingredients used, but it’s not like they stop working… only start breaking down after that point. [name_f]My[/name_f] test was 4 years old from when I bought it (about 18 months post expiration I believe), but it was an early detection digital… one of the most expensive on the market. So I was pretty willing to trust the result. If it’s a wondfo or something like that, I’d be more skeptical and hesitant.

Good luck! Let us know!

Thank you so much! Nice to hear first hand experience but I am aware it doesn’t confirm my results. The expired test is just over 2 years expired. And yes high quality.

I bought a cheap dollar store test today, we are in lockdown from covid, most things are closed. I know I should have waited to take it but couldn’t resist. I am even more confused now. It was negative but I am still before my expected period, it was not first morning urine, it hadn’t been long since I last went and I drink an extreme amount of water, had already had a couple litres so all of those could easily cause a false negative OR it could actually be negative. I am not spotting at all which I usually would be, but my back is hurting which it often does before my period. I will test tomorrow morning with first morning urine.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

2 Likes