Explain Your Signature

Names with meaning:
[name_f]Cara[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] - My partner’s family is from [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] and he’s incredibly proud of his heritage and his very Irish grandmother is very dear to us. I love [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], simple, strong, great history but so beautiful! My partner and I have had a lot of misfortune and have been through a hell of a lot together; he calls me “[name_u]Mo[/name_u] Anam [name_f]Cara[/name_f]” (my soul friend, or my soulmate in Gaelic) and had it engraved on my engagement ring, hence [name_f]Cara[/name_f], which holds the more meaning for me than any other name. I also love how it’s easily pronounced in so many languages.

[name_f]Aoife[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] - similar to [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] I love the sound and history of [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] and it obviously honours his Irish heritage. I’m [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and I love the sound of [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - we both just really like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] but [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] the Great, who my partner absolutely loves (along with any other history) and I love him telling me about all these interesting historical things that he finds in books and what not. We both agree though, there has already been an [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] the Great so we will never use [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]!

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] ([name_u]Charlie[/name_u]) - my partner is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], he loves his name, I love names from stories ([name_u]Tristan[/name_u] & [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], in this case). [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] who went by [name_m]Alan[/name_m] was his grandfather and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] was the first name I ever loved (it was even the name of my first cat when I was really little).

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] - [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is the name of a saint which holds a lot of meaning to both of us. While not as prevalent in his upbringing as his Irish ancestry/family, my partner also has some [name_m]German[/name_m] heritage, and we both love the name [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m], he doesn’t know this but it also makes my think of [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] ([name_f]Mina[/name_f]) from [name_m]Bram[/name_m] Stoker’s Dracula and [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] Klink from [name_m]Hogan[/name_m]'s Heroes (maybe not a great namesake but I love the show).

Other names are names that I just think are beautiful, amazing and strong.

Names I’m most likely to use are [name_f]Cara[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Charles[/name_m], and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] & [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] are tied for third. I would love to use [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] but I don’t think he’ll approve [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] needs a really strong and more unique middle like [name_u]Artemis[/name_u].

A few of my newer combos that have meaning:

[name_f]Odette[/name_f] [name_f]Annabella[/name_f] / [name_f]Catharina[/name_f] ~ [name_f]Odette[/name_f] is combo of a my mother’s maiden name Oddo & my father’s MN [name_m]Otto[/name_m]. I love the [name_f]Swan[/name_f] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] association. [name_f]Annabella[/name_f] honors my Italian heritage as well as my maternal great grandmother [name_f]Anna[/name_f] & a nod to my FN, [name_u]Andrea[/name_u]. I also enjoy the meaning of [name_f]Annabella[/name_f] “lovable”. [name_f]Catharina[/name_f] would be a nod to my [name_m]German[/name_m] heritage. [name_f]Katharina[/name_f] is actually [name_m]German[/name_m] but [name_f]Catharina[/name_f] is also used there. It also honor my [name_f]MIL[/name_f]'s MN [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. I was also almost named “[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]”.

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] / [name_f]Elena[/name_f] ~ [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] means “pearl” which honors my mother born in [name_u]June[/name_u]. [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] also means “daisy” in [name_m]French[/name_m] which is a name my mother adores & would be her nickname. [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] / [name_f]Elena[/name_f] honor my mother’s MN [name_f]Ellen[/name_f].

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] ~ lovely associations the delphinium flower, dolphins, & the sacred Greek location [name_f]Delphi[/name_f]. I adore the nickname [name_f]Della[/name_f], too. [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] is [name_m]German[/name_m], which honors my paternal heritage but it is also used in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] which honors my maternal heritage.

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] ~ I talked about [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] in my last post but I think she sound chic, elegant, whimsical, & youthful all at the same time. [name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] honors my Italian heritage & is a another nod to my name [name_u]Andrea[/name_u]. I love how romantic she is. The whole name gives me this fairy feel. Probably because of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]'s meaning “from the forest”. I picture purples and greens, lovely imagery. Fay on the ending is still an option - I’m just liking one middle name ATM now.

Sébastien [name_u]Winter[/name_u] ~ Sébastien is me & my SO’s #1 name. He loves it as much as I do. I’m preferring the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling as I like the pronunciation more - I cannot stand the American pronunciation of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. I absolutely adore [name_m]French[/name_m] names & it fits in with my girl names better. [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is still an option - it would honor my [name_m]German[/name_m] heritage but I would cringe every time someone called him “se-bash-chen”. [name_u]Winter[/name_u] gives me a great imagery - I grew up in Michigan & have lots of wonderful winter memories.

[name_m]Lucan[/name_m] [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] ~ [name_m]Lucan[/name_m] is a compromise name! My SO loves [name_u]Luca[/name_u] & I love [name_m]Lucian[/name_m] / [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], neither of us are overly fond of either one so [name_m]Lucan[/name_m] is good middle ground. It’s a name from Arthurian [name_u]Legend[/name_u], it also has some Irish roots, & comes from Ancient [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Lucanus[/name_m]. [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] is a international name I adore! It’s popular in [name_f]France[/name_f], Germany, & [name_f]Italy[/name_f]! The last two honor my heritage & I just adore [name_m]French[/name_m] names. My MN is also [name_m]French[/name_m].

My current signiture is top names for future kids

Konrul Alpike - twin sister to [name_f]Tu[/name_f]ğrul, mythological name together they for the bird of Oksoko/Zukoko you can see it on the flag of the Selçuk Empire. There is a whole theme involving Çağrı and Selçuk. Alpike means warrior queen, just badass imo.
Mariye Simru - Mariye was one of the names of Hz. [name_m]Muhammed[/name_m] and the second woman he had a child with, [name_m]Ibrahim[/name_m]. Sadly their son didn’t live past the infancy but they truly loved each other. Simru is a name I found from a novel I didn’t read, I just saw the book. It seems to be bastardized Sumru but I am not sure.
Balamir Önem - I had these before and he made a comeback. Because I decided I loved Balamir as a first name more. And with Önem, it means gravity and importance, you have the initials Bö!
Tuldila Aybars - a Hunnic name, European, sadly forgot the meaning combined with another Hunnic name… Aybars mean moon leopard / panther
// Some aSoIaF things

Aemon Steelsong & [name_m]Harlon[/name_m] [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] - Aemon Steelsong is the son of Mance Rayder and [name_f]Dalla[/name_f] - the washerwoman/wildling queen - in the books. [name_m]Harlon[/name_m] [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] is the nameless son of [name_u]Gilly[/name_u] of course. [name_m]Harlon[/name_m] was the founder of House Tarly along with his twin brother. [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] combines the bastard naming tradition of [name_u]North[/name_u] and Reach. In [name_u]North[/name_u] they use [name_f]Snow[/name_f], in Reach they use Flowers. So [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] it is.
[name_m]Jon[/name_m] + [name_f]Valeria[/name_f] + [name_m]Eagon[/name_m] + [name_f]Diane[/name_f] + [name_m]Abner[/name_m] – currently think of a modern AU with NedAsh - will change [name_m]Eagon[/name_m]'s name and no more [name_f]Diane[/name_f] in the family.
// even more aSoIaF things//

[name_m]Ned[/name_m] + Ashara = [name_m]Jon[/name_m] theorist
Rhaegar + Lyanna = Aegon theorist
Ashara : [name_f]Aleena[/name_f] : Wylla : Lemore

I’ve listed only two girls names because they are the two names my partner and I are 100% agreed upon. While my list of boys names changes all the time, the girls names are constant for me. Additionally, while I’m not Catholic, my husband’s family is, and so our future children will grow up knowing the saints associated with their name. I want to give them strong saint names since it’s a part of my husband’s cultural upbringing (I probably care more than he does, oddly enough).

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] - [name_f]Frances[/name_f] was the middle name of both of my grandmothers. Furthermore, my grandmother, [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], has been an inspiration to me throughout my life and has been fighting a long battle with Alzheimer’s for many years. I want our first daughter to bear the names ‘[name_f]Grace[/name_f]’ and ‘[name_f]Frances[/name_f]’ in her honor. [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is a name we both love, it honors my Italian heritage, and I’m a big fan of Pope [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and St. [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. We like the nicknames ‘[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]’ and ‘Chesca’. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is the name of my mother-in-law, so that this combo would honor both my side and my husband’s side. Additionally, I lived in [name_f]France[/name_f] for some time and it was a pivotal time in my life - I also met my husband in [name_f]France[/name_f] and so it’s a place with a lot of significance to both of us.
[name_f]Veronika[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] - For the past ten years I’ve loved the name [name_f]Vera[/name_f]. I love that it’s Russian (which is a part of my distant ancestry) and that it means ‘[name_u]Truth[/name_u]’ and ‘[name_f]Faith[/name_f]’. I was surprised when my husband one day mentioned that he loved the name [name_f]Veronika[/name_f]. Then I found out that it’s also the confirmation name of my mother-in-law, so it seemed like a perfect option for us. The middle names are after my grandmother [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], which I’ve written about above.

Boys names change regularly and I don’t have established combos for any of them. I’ve had my top 3 boys names used for nephews of mine (what are the odds?!?!), so I try not to get too attached to any one name until we actually have a son.

[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ‘Peaceful Ruler’ - This is the name I’ve loved the longest. It sounds great with our [name_m]German[/name_m]/Prussian surname. The meaning is significant to us and reflects our values. My husband has a favorite book character named ‘[name_m]Fitz[/name_m]’, so we’d like to use ‘[name_m]Fritz[/name_m]’ (which is similar) as a nickname along with just ‘[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]’. I imagine an inquisitive, polite, creative little boy when I think of this name.
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ‘To conquer’ - I fall in and out love with this name. On my Italian side all of the men were named ‘[name_m]Vincenzo[/name_m]’ until my grandfather, so this makes me feel connected to that side. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] is a beautiful and strong name, and St [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] was known for helping the poor, which is something that resonates with us. The only thing we struggle with is that we don’t like the nicknames [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] or [name_m]Vince[/name_m].
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m]/[name_m]Nicolai[/name_m] ‘[name_f]Victory[/name_f] of the people’ - I love the name [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]. It makes me think of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and wintertime cheer. We love the meaning, which makes us think of being an advocate and champion for others, and St [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] is very admirable as well. We live in a very snowy, cold part of the US (Minnesota), and this name just epitomizes everything I love about where we live. I’ve known so many great [name_u]Nick[/name_u]'s in my life, so that makes me love the name more. My husband dislikes the name ‘[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]’ and the nickname ‘[name_u]Nick[/name_u]’ though, so we’d go with ‘[name_m]Nicolai[/name_m]’ and ‘[name_u]Nico[/name_u]’ instead.
[name_m]Eamon[/name_m] ‘Wealthy protector’ - I love, love, love the protector part of this meaning, and think this would be so sweet on an older sibling, because as a first born myself, I often protected and looked out for my younger sister. My husband is [name_m]Edward[/name_m], and this is the Irish variation of [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], so I love how this is related to my husband’s name (he really dislikes his name and all [name_m]Ed[/name_m] -names, but loves the name [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]). My husband is from an Irish Catholic family and spent a year living in [name_m]Dublin[/name_m], so [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] is very dear to his heart and he loves Irish names. Additionally, we can’t help but love how it sounds like a name straight out of LOTR of GoT (we’re fantasy fiction nerds).
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m] ‘Brave bear’ - I love the meaning and the nickname ‘[name_m]Bear[/name_m]’. My husband’s dear Irish grandfather was [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] (pronounced Ber-nerd, not Ber-nard) and that makes the name even more meaningful. However, I can’t help but wonder if [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] is too much of an old man name, and if [name_m]Bear[/name_m] is too modern, even as a nickname. I worry about my kid hating his name or other people judging me for naming a kid [name_m]Bear[/name_m], so this has dropped down the list for a while.
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] ‘The great’ - We live in a state where Nordic names are fairly common, and [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is one of my favorites. It makes me imagine a brave little Viking boy. Additionally, there is a St [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] of Orkney, and the stories tell that he chose not to participate in the Viking raids, angering the Norwegian [name_m]King[/name_m]. As it turns out, my husband’s family regularly hosts some priests from Orkney and we see them several times a year, so that’s an interesting connection to St [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] as well.
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], and [name_m]Bram[/name_m] - We like [name_u]Fionn[/name_u] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] from the Irish legends. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_m]Bram[/name_m] have nice one syllable sounds we like. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is a name I like the sound of, although it doesn’t have any major meaning.
[name_m]Tavish[/name_m] - I found this in my search for a Scottish name (it’s a part of my ancestry on my mom’s side). The name [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] has been growing on me, and then I discovered [name_m]Tavish[/name_m]. I like that it sounds so very Scottish, and the nicknames ‘[name_m]Tav[/name_m]’ or ‘[name_u]Tavi[/name_u]’ are both adorable. My husband’s not convinced.

The majority of names on my list are just because I like them so I’ll only explain the ones that have an actual reason.

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] - I’ve always liked [name_u]Sam[/name_u], but I recently found out that both my mom and grandma had wanted boys names [name_u]Sam[/name_u] had they had any. I think it would be sweet for them to have a grandson/great grandson with the name.
[name_m]Leon[/name_m] - [name_m]Leon[/name_m] was my great grandfather’s name and when I was a little girl, I promised my grandmother I would use [name_m]Leon[/name_m] in some way if I had a boy and I plan to do just that.
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] - I like both names regardless, but my step-dad’s father’s name was [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and my grandpa’s name was [name_m]Larry[/name_m] so I thought this would be a nice way to honor them.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - My middle name and my mother’s middle name. It’s kind of becoming a tradition to use it as a middle name for the first girl as it is also my younger cousin’s middle name.
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] - A family name.
[name_f]Christine[/name_f] - I don’t really like any of the male “[name_u]Chris[/name_u]” names, but I’d still like to honor the many men names [name_u]Chris[/name_u] in my family so, [name_f]Christine[/name_f].

If I thoroughly explained every name in my signature, this post would be so long that anyone who read it would fall asleep about halfway through, so I’ll just explain the three I’d be most likely to use and my favorite.

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f]- [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is a name that I love for the imagery and because of all the things I associate with it, and because I like the more symbolic aspect. [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] is a beautiful, biblical name, and while some might not find the connection with the Biblical figure to be positive, I say that the redemption aspect is the entire point.

[name_f]Amara[/name_f] [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] “[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]”- I love [name_f]Amara[/name_f] for how multicultural it is, and the word [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] is beautiful for obvious reasons. The nickname [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] adds to [name_f]Liberty[/name_f]- think “free as a bird”.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]- The meaning of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is a favorite, I love Violets, and most importantly, I love how these two names go with [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], because [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is the most important name in the combo. I love [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] because of [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] ten Boom. I’m fascinated by the bravery of her family. She’d make a great namesake.

Last of all, Runa Solace/Solace Runa (I’m leaning towards Solace Runa.) This name is so personal (and a little bit sad, but like, in a good way, you know?) that I could never give it to an actual child. “Solace” is one of my favorite words (and names), to me someone named Solace would be that friend who was super empathetic and compassionate and always there for anyone, even a stranger, during a difficult time. It also has a biblical connection in my mind. Runa’s sound is pretty, I like the “oo” sound, and the meaning along with Solace is beautiful, I think.

//sigh //

Vorian [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] - okay I will admit to being torn between [name_m]Harlon[/name_m] [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] and Vorian [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] when it comes to name of [name_u]Gilly[/name_u]'s son that she will rise with Samwell Tarly. Now Samwell was named after Savage Samwell Tarly a vulture hunter and [name_m]Harlon[/name_m] was called [name_m]Harlon[/name_m] the [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] as well. Vorian is related to a theory but well he was a sworn brother but before that he was a [name_m]King[/name_m] who lost his kingdom. Since he is passed as Mance’s son I think when he becomes two years old in the absence of [name_u]Gilly[/name_u] - he could be named Vorian as well?

[name_f]Rosella[/name_f] - a hypothetical [name_m]Jon[/name_m]/[name_f]Dany[/name_f] daughter where [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Jon[/name_m] [name_m]Stark[/name_m] second of his name, [name_m]King[/name_m] of the [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and the [name_u]Free[/name_u] Folk etc. marries [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Dany[/name_f] first of her name for political purposes ala first [name_f]Dany[/name_f] who married Maron [name_m]Martell[/name_m], and since [name_f]Dany[/name_f] wants a daughter I decided to combine [name_f]Rose[/name_f] + Rhaella. Rhaella is obvi the mom of [name_f]Dany[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] of the [name_u]Red[/name_u] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] is the mother of [name_m]Brandon[/name_m] the Builder, she was a skinchanger and kissed by fire as well. I think that will symbolize Ygritte’s impression on him and forgibing his step mother after her death? And is a rare [name_m]Stark[/name_m] name. Though I can’t think of a boy name for their son other than [name_m]Robb[/name_m].

[name_f]Talitha[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] [name_f]Lark[/name_f]- i read [name_f]Talitha[/name_f] in a book when i was about twelve and instantly fell in love, i love [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] because of it’s meaning- great leader/ruler i want a daughter of mine to be strong! its also a nod to my grandmother who is Welsh. [name_f]Lark[/name_f] popped up on names just searched once on nameberry, and i really liked it straight away, it fit in perfectly with my bird theme i already had going on, and i love the nn [name_f]Merri[/name_f] that can go with this combo

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]- [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my Grandmother’s middle name, [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is my mother’s. [name_f]Maria[/name_f] is honoring Our Lady.

[name_f]Verity[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]- [name_f]Verity[/name_f] is another i found in a book and loved straight away, i love its meaning ‘truth’ because honesty is probably the thing i value most in a person. [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is the name of one of my best friends, and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is the name of another best friend, and a reference to [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] who’s books i love

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]- hmm i’m not sure why i love [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] so much, its just so delicate and feminine, also i always liked [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] Merriman best out of the American girl dolls. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] i saw when someone i know used this as their daughters middle name, this kind of sparked my bird theme i guess, [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] is a subtle honor to my mum who is a poet

[name_f]Odelia[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]-i love the meaning of [name_f]Odelia[/name_f] ‘i will praise the [name_m]Lord[/name_m]’ and though i love the sound of [name_f]Odile[/name_f], the meaning didn’t do much for me ‘wealth’ so when i found this cute alternative i was very excited. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is an honour for a friend, and also, i just love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]! [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] is another with a cool meaning- Burning Ones, i don’t really know why i love it, it just sounds so elegant

Madgalene [name_u]Dove[/name_u]- [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] is because of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f], and while the meaning ‘woman from [name_f]Magdala[/name_f]’ doesn’t do much for me i love the flow with [name_u]Dove[/name_u], which i like because of the implications of peace and serenity

[name_f]Aravis[/name_f] Kestrel- [name_f]Aravis[/name_f] from The horse and his boy is my all time favourite book character- she’s so darn feisty! and brave. Kestrel is my favourite bird

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Glynis[/name_f]- [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is one of my favourite characters in mythology and i love the flow of her name ,most holy is a nice meaning, [name_f]Glynis[/name_f] is the name of my grandmother

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]- [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is a classic and it sounds so regal! love the ties to mythology and the meaning ‘victory’ [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] is my favourite godess and a tribute to my other grandmother who’s name is [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]'s [name_m]Roman[/name_m] counterpart

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f] [name_u]Seren[/name_u]- hmm i just like [name_f]Thalia[/name_f], cool mythology ties, [name_u]Seren[/name_u] is a tribute to my grandmother who is Welsh because [name_u]Seren[/name_u] is the Welsh word for star

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- i’m not sure when i started loving [name_f]Freya[/name_f] but it was way back, like a had a china doll i named [name_f]Freya[/name_f] when i was like, seven, nice meaning of ‘noble woman’ too. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] has cool mythology ties also, and i love the sound

[name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Swanhilde[/name_f]- [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is because of [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f], so brave and an excellent role model. [name_f]Swanhilde[/name_f] i only discoverd recently but it fit right in with my bird theme, and i can’t help but like the maening ‘battle swan’ hehe

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]- i guess this is one i just like, [name_f]Edie[/name_f] is such a cute nn for [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and the fact that [name_f]Mae[/name_f] means pearl… its just so cute. [name_f]Winfred[/name_f] has a good meaning ‘blessed peacemaking’ and so many nn options! [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_f]Freda[/name_f]…

[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]- a book find, probably my favourite boys name ever, and it means ‘happy’ which is just adorable. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] was my grandfathers middle name

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]- [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is a family name, its my cousin’s name, i just like [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_u]Keats[/name_u]- [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] i just like, [name_u]Keats[/name_u] is the name of my favourite poet, [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Keats[/name_u]

[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] [name_m]Pascal[/name_m]- [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] i like the nn [name_m]Leo[/name_m], meaning lion, [name_m]Pascal[/name_m] means [name_f]Easter[/name_f] so cute for an [name_f]April[/name_f] baby but realistically wouldn’t use unless the were born around that time

[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]- [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], i love [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]! and [name_u]Everett[/name_u] has family significance

[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]- [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] has such a great meaning ‘victory of the people’ and i love nn [name_u]Nico[/name_u], [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] just sounds so elegant, and bird theme again

[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]- just love the meanings of these, majestic, and blessed

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Emmet[/name_u]- i just like the sound and nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u]

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Prosper[/name_m]- i love old fashioned feel and meanings, and the fact its an unusual virtue name

[name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m]- love the flow, and warrior meanings

[name_m]Ernest[/name_m]- i love the importance of being [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]… what more can i say? interesting virtue too

[name_m]Etienne[/name_m]- cool meaning, and reflects my heritage

[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]- i love the railway children, and it sounds cute

gg twins- Talitha Meredith Lark, Verity Sofia Jane
bb twins- Felix Alexander, August Benedict, or Elliot Zachary

[name_f]Rebekka[/name_f] has been “our” name since we first started dating, it’s always been set.
[name_f]Zippora[/name_f] is my second favourite. I found it in a book (in the [name_f]Tziporah[/name_f] spelling)
[name_m]Amos[/name_m] has taken [name_m]Adam[/name_m]'s place as Nr 1 boy name.
[name_f]Regina[/name_f] ticks all the boxes for a good name but it’s a little old-lady-ish.
Sturm is a family surname, but I’m not convinced since word names aren’t really a thing here.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]: [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is probably my favourite name. It is sweet and elegant, and would age wonderfully. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is not my favourite but I can’t find anything better with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].
[name_f]Francine[/name_f] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]: I just adore both names! They sound wonderful together.
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Starling[/name_f]: I love [name_f]Greta[/name_f]! It is kinda old lady-ish, but the sound is gorgeous. I love the mn [name_f]Starling[/name_f]. Nature and adorable.
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f]: [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is a long time favourite of mine. I adore [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f] but I’m ok scared to use it as a first.
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]: I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f]! So sweet sounding. I love [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] too. They sound beautiful together.
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Michelle[/name_f]: this one is kinda dated, but I love both [name_f]Hayley[/name_f] and [name_f]Michelle[/name_f].
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]: I adore [name_f]Alice[/name_f]! [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is still kinda growing on me. The flow of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is just gorgeous.
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Cadence[/name_f]: i just started liking [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cadence[/name_f]. I think this combo would age well on a little girl.
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]: [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] started out as a middle for [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. Then I realized how much I loved it! [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] is a gp of mine.

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]: [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is a long-time love of mine. It’s so strong and handsome. [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] is also a fav.
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m]: [name_m]Simon[/name_m] is the same as [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. I actually fell in love with [name_m]Simon[/name_m] while watching [name_m]Alvin[/name_m] and the chipmunks! [name_m]Adam[/name_m] is such a strong name.
[name_m]Levi[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]: [name_m]Levi[/name_m] is so adorable, but I go back and forth to loving it, and thinking it’s kinda childish. But I’m loving it right now.
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]: I love [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] with all my heart. Same with [name_u]Roy[/name_u].
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Teague[/name_m]: I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] nn [name_m]Seb[/name_m]. [name_m]Teague[/name_m] I heard as the middle name of a youtuber’s son, [name_m]Levi[/name_m]. I absolutely love it.
[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m]: [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] is much more unique than [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_u]Owen[/name_u] etc. I adore the nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. [name_m]Victor[/name_m] is an old English name that I love.
[name_m]Joe[/name_m] [name_u]Alfie[/name_u]: I like [name_m]Joe[/name_m] better than [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. [name_m]Joe[/name_m] is handsome and would age well. [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] is just like [name_m]Victor[/name_m].
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Asher[/name_m]: [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] is also a new love of mine. [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is the same.
[name_m]Forester[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]: I adore the uniqueness of [name_m]Forester[/name_m]. [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is handsome and also kinda unique.

GPs: (mostly all the same)
Ochre: I love the pronounciation
([name_u]Oak[/name_u]-ah). I don’t think the colour is bad at all.
[name_m]Bear[/name_m]: One of my favourite boys names ever. It would be on my main list but others have told me he would get teased.
[name_f]Libra[/name_f]: [name_f]Libra[/name_f] is just adorable! I don’t care about the association with the feminine hygiene products.
[name_m]Finnick[/name_m]: I heard this name on the hunger games and fell in love with it!
Pevensey: this one is in my top ten names. So unique with a nod to my British heritage.
[name_m]Arrow[/name_m]: I just love the uniquenesss. I would probably never name my child this though.
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]: little [name_u]Day[/name_u]! I adore this name so much. I heard it on the Addams family.
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]: Otters are one of my favourite animals, so that’s a plus! The sound is just gorgeous. I love animal names.
[name_u]Aja[/name_u]: I don’t know why I like this name. It just has a regal sound to it.
[name_m]Malakai[/name_m]: I heard this on a documentery. [name_m]Malakai[/name_m] was a twin to [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]. I adore the way it’s written and how it looks.

My signature has changed since I first posted.

[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] [name_m]Archer[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] - [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] is and has been my number 1 boy name for quite some time now. I just think its so sweet and it ages well. [name_m]Archer[/name_m] is a farely new love for me. Archery is my favourite sport so I think it fits. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is just a name I really like.

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_u]Jay[/name_u] - [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is a name that I completely adore. I just think its so perfect. The only problem I have with it, is that I cannot stand the nickname [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] I have loved for ever and it’s becoming a favourite. [name_u]Jay[/name_u] is just so sweet in my opinion. I think my love for [name_u]Jay[/name_u] Halstead and the fact that my favourite birds are Bluejay’s has helped me to love the name.

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] [name_m]Connor[/name_m] [name_u]Beau[/name_u] - [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is a name that I have been loving so much lately. I would normally have it as a nickname for [name_m]Archer[/name_m] but i think it’s great on it’s own. Also [name_m]Archie[/name_m] Andrews was a bonas. [name_m]Connor[/name_m] I have loved for ever, and I still do. [name_u]Beau[/name_u] I find to be so handsome an d just wonderful.

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] - My top name for a girl! I am just so in love with [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and I love its meaning so much. [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is a old favourite which I think its beautiful. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a new love. I have fallen for it!

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] - Thanks to [name_m]Arrow[/name_m], [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is one of my top names for a girl. I think its so underrated. [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] is a family name which I love and I just really like how it sounds. I first heard [name_u]Sage[/name_u] last year some time and I just think its so perfect!

Such a fun thread! I love reading all your whys and hows of naming. :smiley:
@elifsu, your OCs or simply different takes on already existing characters is impressive and innovative! My turn now:

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Polly[/name_f]: [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is after all the Marias in my paternal family (it’s a tradition to pick a name for a daughter, but put [name_f]Maria[/name_f] in front of it on the birth certificate creating a double given name). I’m always playing around with the [name_f]Maria[/name_f] variants and this time [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is the one :slight_smile: . [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is after the neighborhood [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] where I grew up which itself is named after [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] of [name_u]Brazil[/name_u] (an interesting historical figure); [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is also after [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]] of Portugal, The Peacemaker (to bring peace to familial relationships). My initial combo was [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], but it’s too vanilla for my taste, so I changed [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] to [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] - an Old [name_m]French[/name_m] variant of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] (likely, Medieval), which I first heard watching the movie, Ladyhawke. I can see myself calling a child [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but not all the time, so I needed a nickname. I’m still exploring the [name_f]Maria[/name_f] variantions and nicknames, but right now, [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is my favorite choice. The origin of [name_f]Polly[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is not clear, some say that it followed the same process as [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] > [name_f]Meg[/name_f] > [name_f]Peg[/name_f] (a product of accents and too many people with the same name), therefore, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] > [name_f]Molly[/name_f] > [name_f]Polly[/name_f]; others say that [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is a nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] only ([name_f]Molly[/name_f] + [name_f]Peggy[/name_f]). Names are fun!

[name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Silvana[/name_f]: [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is tied with Artemísia as my favorite girl name ever. I see the name [name_u]Hero[/name_u] as a daily reminder that you are your own hero, you are capable, you write your own story, while there is no problem asking for help, you cannot be passive about your own life. In general, I love superheroes and there is several characters from novels (and real people too) whom aren’t superheroes in the conventional way although for me they’re my heroes which I try to emulate. Either way, I think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is a great name for any girl (I sincerely can imagine women named [name_u]Hero[/name_u] with any age or personality) and the sound alone (English is not my first language, ok?) is unisex to my ears. [name_f]Silvana[/name_f] is the name of a farm where my family lived for generations. Besides, it means “forest” and it’s so Portuguese!

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_m]Jos[/name_m]é: [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a combo that I love because of its meaning - “[name_f]Mary[/name_f]'s golden heart”. Like I said, I love the combo, but because I see [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] as one thing (even though, if I had a child with this name, I would call her just [name_f]Cora[/name_f]), I wanted to add a middle, something separate from it. [name_m]Jos[/name_m]é (Portuguese prn.) is after [name_m]Jos[/name_m]é de Anchieta, one of the few Brazilian saints. The guy who started Brazilian literature and the author of the first grammar of the Tupi language. His written sermons are fascinating (even for atheists)! One of the coolest saints to ever live (he wasn’t afraid to fight for his beliefs at all, even if the fight was against a Catholic priest like himself).

Artemísia: (Portuguese prn.) I just [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] how it sounds. It emanates strength even if it’s a feminization of the already feminine [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] (it doesn’t sound frilly at all); and it’s so royal - yet again, I can imagine several different girls with this name. The main historical figures are a [name_f]Queen[/name_f], an Almirant and a [name_m]Painter[/name_m], which more or less proves my points of strenght and flexibility. I don’t know much about the Italian painter, [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] Gentileschi, but she seems incredible (I will Google her later :)). Recently, I noticed Artemísia mimics my mom’s name (same sounds, long, Italian, starts with A, unusual etc), maybe this unconscious knowledge of mine played a role in my love for Artemísia?

Capitu: honors one of my favorite authors, Machado de Assis. Capitu is the main female character in his most famous novel, [name_m]Dom[/name_m] Casmurro. [name_m]Dom[/name_m] Casmurro is a narrative “wrote by the main male character” nicknamed [name_m]Dom[/name_m] Casmurro (translation: Sir Pigheaded) about his life. It starts more like an autobiography, but soon enough the MC tries to convince us that Capitu, his wife, was cheating on him long ago. I was in high school when I read the book and wrote and presented a work about how Capitu did not cheat on him :stuck_out_tongue: . She’s a cool character and Machado de Assis, a wonderful author. Fun fact – Capitu is actually her nickname, her full name is Capitolina (adding [name_f]INA[/name_f]/[name_f]INO[/name_f] after words or common names was way of creating new names or spicing up the already existing ones), hence her name comes from “capitol” and “capitolium” (caput means “head”).

Immaculée: the whys of Immaculée are a bit more boring - I like how it sounds and with the right middle, it can create an amazing combined meaning (immaculate + something), I like this stuff. It has a lot of significance for Catholics (Immaculate Conception; Immaculate Heart of [name_f]Mary[/name_f]), but I am not particulary attracted to it.

[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Genie[/name_f]: the reasons here are even more boring - I love how they sound. They as the English [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f], the [name_m]French[/name_m] Eugénie and the nickname [name_f]Genie[/name_f] ("[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]"). I must say that the spelling [name_f]Genie[/name_f] is much more interesting and magical (the Jinn/genies) than the plain [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]. The meaning “well born” isn’t bad either.

[name_m]John[/name_m] Regulus: after my brother, [name_u]Jo[/name_u]ão ([name_m]John[/name_m] in Portuguese). My g-grandpa had the same first given name, but used his second given name, [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], daily (to the point, I often forgot that his first name was not [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-rah]). I don’t feel comfortable using [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] as it is, because it seems to honor just my g-grandpa and not my gg and my brother. So I decided to use a celestial middle instead (stars, constellations etc). My picks often change, but today Regulus is the one. Regulus is the brightest star of the [name_m]Leo[/name_m] constellation, it literally means “little king” in Latin; from [name_u]Rex[/name_u] (king) - lions and kings, awesome! I love the nickname [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is growing on me; [name_u]Rex[/name_u] and [name_u]Reggy[/name_u] for Regulus are wonderful alternatives if the child doesn’t like his given name.

[name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_f]Lara[/name_f]: after my father, my great grandfather (same guy as above) and their football team. [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] is a variant of my dad’s name and my g-grandpa was called [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] ([name_u]LEE[/name_u]-rah, which is similar to LAH-rah + feminine sounding). My g-grandpa encouraged my dad’s love for football and for their team, which was the start of their (dad and g-grandpa) strong relationship. [name_f]Lara[/name_f] is a legendary player from this/their team. By the way, I love alliteration.

[name_u]Blake[/name_u] [name_f]Luna[/name_f]: name of a character that I created some time ago. I chose [name_u]Blake[/name_u] [name_f]Luna[/name_f] (given name + surname) because of its meaning “black moon” (wow! [name_u]Blake[/name_u] can mean “black” or “pale” - nice!). [name_m]Even[/name_m] though, [name_u]Blake[/name_u] is obviously masculine to me, it seems that it can be interpreted as unisex. Adding [name_f]Luna[/name_f] as a middle, only makes the combo more gender-confusing. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! Plus, I have an adoration for the moon and all the deities related to it (cough cough Artemísia) AND I’m the third consecutive “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]” in my family and would be nice to include a [name_f]Lu[/name_f] name somewhere.

[name_m]Tiberius[/name_m]: after the amazing [name_m]Captain[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m] [name_m]Kirk[/name_m]! Althouth, I just call him [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] [name_m]Kirk[/name_m] (btw, [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] are faves). I use both pronunciations interchangeably: tee-BE-ree-oos AND tie-BER-ee-əs.

Rasiel: although my name ([name_f]Lu[/name_f]ísa) is a classic and each day a more popular choice between young parents, my name gets mistaken with a lot of other things (some make sense, others… not really). [name_f]Raisa[/name_f]/ [name_f]Raiza[/name_f] was one of these mistakes. I’m certain that [name_f]Raisa[/name_f] is not the weirdest thing someone mistook my name for, but for some reason I always remember [name_f]Raisa[/name_f] specifically. One day I decided to research if [name_f]Raisa[/name_f] was really a modern invented name (as I thought) or not. For my surprise it isn’t! [name_f]Raisa[/name_f] is Yiddish for “rose”. I always loved the symbolism behind the rose (its beauty vs its danger [the thorns]). Raisel is the diminutive of [name_f]Raisa[/name_f], so it more or less means “little rose”. As you can probably notice, I changed the place of the “I” when I was reading the name. So now, I see Rasiel (which I apparently invented) as a mix between Raisel (the little rose) and Raziel (an archangel from the Kabbalah angelic hierarchy; and male name). Good enough for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Niklaus nicknamed [name_m]Klaus[/name_m]: I love the name [name_m]Klaus[/name_m], it’s so strong and a bit magical too (2 words - The Originals)! But, I don’t know why don’t ask me, I don’t like it as standalone name, so Niklaus it is (besides, the nicknames [name_u]Nik[/name_u], [name_u]Niki[/name_u], [name_u]Nico[/name_u] are awesome).

[name_m]Watson[/name_m]: after Dr. [name_m]John[/name_m] H. [name_m]Watson[/name_m], partner of [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m]. Gotta love the man with common sense (a characteristic I think everyone should have! :P).

What a great idea! I often look at peoples signatures and think “oh, that’s different. Wonder what made them choose that?”

As for my signature, only names that my husband and I have 100% agreed on make the cut. There are so many other names we both love that the other doesn’t, and since the child is both of ours we feel like we both need to love a name 100%.

We would happily use any of the combinations on our list. Our number 1 changes daily, but it’s always out of the ones listed below.

[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] - I’ve always loved these 2 names, for no apparent reason. They just feel so fresh and so handsome to me. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] also has the meaning God is good, so this is a nod to our [name_m]Christian[/name_m] faith.

[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] [name_m]Draco[/name_m] - [name_m]Draco[/name_m] was our top contender for an incredibly long time, after the constellations and my die-hard love of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. But as the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] hype will never die (as I am an incredibly massive fan) we felt it more appropriate tp use this as a middle name. Like [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] holds some lovely Biblical meanings combined with the meaning ‘Oracle’ which is just devine.

[name_m]Mordecai[/name_m] [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] - more biblical meanings (can you see a pattern here? ”) [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m] literally means ‘warrior’ what more could a little boy want?

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - Battle mighty, pledged to God. [name_m]How[/name_m] incredible is that meaning? We simply feel this is so beautiful. [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] is also a very pretty nickname

[name_f]Zoey[/name_f] [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] - [name_f]Zoey[/name_f] simply means Life. We feel this is such a beautiful fresh name with such strong meaning. [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] is a derivative of [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] meaning ‘warlike’. Again, see a pattern here? :slight_smile:

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - a bit of a nod to my [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] addiction, helped by the fact I am also a Ravenclaw. There is not another name as sweet and peaceful as [name_f]Luna[/name_f], simply meaning ‘moon’. Again, [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] means ‘tribe woman’. We feel this is the perfect complement to sweet [name_f]Luna[/name_f].

We would use any of these names in a heartbeat! I didn’t mean for this to be so long, so if you have taken the time to read all of this, thank you ”

Ooh this is fun!

[name_f]Aanya[/name_f]: I love [name_f]Aanya[/name_f] because it has roots to my culture but is also very easily pronounced all over the world. I’m just not sure whether I love [name_f]Aanya[/name_f] or [name_f]Anya[/name_f] better ([name_f]Aanya[/name_f] is more [name_f]Indian[/name_f]/Sanskrit but [name_f]Anya[/name_f] is more recognizable…)

[name_f]Raina[/name_f]: [name_f]Raina[/name_f] is the first name I really truly fell in love with, ever since my mom taught twins named [name_f]Raina[/name_f] and [name_f]Riya[/name_f]. I love the meaning of “queen” as well as the lesser-known Sanskrit meaning of “beautiful night”.

[name_f]Inaya[/name_f]: Recently discovered the name and really fell in love with the spelling and way it looks as well as how it sounds

[name_f]Zaira[/name_f]: ^^

Jayati: First heard it on a friends girlfriend and thought it was a gorgeous name, and now when I see it I associate it with her, who is one of the smartest and most gorgeous girls I’ve ever met so it has nothing but positive connotations for me!

[name_f]Meera[/name_f]: I love how simple and sweet it is, and how it is (again) of cultural significance and also easily pronounced by non-Indians.

As for my other names: I love how they age well with a girl and the overall sweetness and and simplicity of them!

Margaret Sophia: My favorite combo at the moment. There are lots of famous women and fictional characters named Margaret, from the legendary saint who escaped from the belly of a dragon to Margaret Atwood who wrote The Handmaid’s Tale. In the words of one Nameberry poster, it sounds “bookish and prim”, which I agree with and like. There are several nicknames; the one I’d use, Meg, is what my paternal grandmother would have wanted to call me, so it subtly honors her as well. It’s classic but less common than Elizabeth or Katherine - and where I live, it’s familiar but rarely used, so a young Margaret would be unlikely to share her name with a classmate. On the other hand, Sophia is pretty, but I’m using it as a middle because I like how it sounds with Margaret and there are too many Sophias (and one Sophie-Lynn) around me for my taste. Finally, because Margaret means “pearl” and Sophia means “wisdom,” Margaret Sophia is basically “pearl of wisdom.” Winner.

Annabel Miriam: Formerly my favorite; has now slipped to #2. I prefer this particular spelling of Annabel (the extra -le is too much in my opinion) because of the Edgar Allan Poe connection. Miriam is after a long-serving former senator in my country, famous for her wit and strength of character when she was alive, and mourned widely when she died of lung cancer last year. Sound-wise, Miriam is quiet and serious, balancing out the lighter, frillier Annabel. (On a side-note: I can’t be the only one who associates Miriam with the Merriam-Webster dictionary.)

Victoria: If I use this, I get to honor both parents at once (dad’s middle name is Victor, mom’s first name starts with E and ends in -ice if you know what I mean). There’s also Queen Victoria to consider - granted, she had her failings as a ruler and a person, but the woman had serious staying power - enough to survive several assassination attempts. Queenie would be a cute nickname. My only difficulty is finding good middle names for it.

Frederick Magnus: Basically, “Frederick the Great.” Personal failings aside, the guy was a badass; he rose above his unhappy childhood to become a brilliant military strategist and man of culture, who also loved dogs and introduced potatoes to Prussia. Not too bad of a namesake if you ask me. For nicknames, there’s Fred (which has grown on me), Freddie, Fritz, Derick, and even Red. Magnus flows well with Frederick. Top choice for a boy. Sometimes I worry that it might be too much for a child to grow into…

…but then I remember I probably shouldn’t have kids, so I guess it’s okay.

All the other names are there just because I like them a lot.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Cosette[/name_f]: I never stop talking about how much I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. It’s a family name and I’ve loved it for years. [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] is a placeholder. I really want to honor one of my SOs female relatives.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]: I love the religious ties that [name_f]Mary[/name_f] has and I think it fits very well with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is for my Aunt [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]: [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] was the first female president of the American Chemical Society and she was from the same county as me. Our historical society never mentions her and it makes me so upset. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is just a pretty name that I love.

[name_u]Dove[/name_u] [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]: I love names that symbolize peace and the nickname [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] is just so feminine and balances [name_u]Dove[/name_u] out.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Adela[/name_f]: [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] means “she who brings happiness” and also I love bees. [name_f]Adela[/name_f] is pretty. Not much else to it, sorry.

[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] [name_f]Elinor[/name_f]: [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] is my grandmother’s name. It was kinda a GP for a while, but every time I hear it I just think of how pretty it sounds. TBH, Stranger Things is what really sold it for me. [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] has been on my list so long that I don’t remember why?

[name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_m]Eugene[/name_m]: I don’t specifically remember why I originally liked [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] either, but it’s stuck around for a really long time. I like the sound and the meaning is nice as my child will likely have dark hair. I also have Irish heritage. [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] is my grandfather’s name.

[name_u]Evan[/name_u] [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]: [name_u]Evan[/name_u] is so soft and nice. I actually like it better as a girl’s name but stylistically it fits better with my boys names. [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] is just really cool and well, wild sounding. The name as a whole makes me think of pine trees and snow and a soft blue-gray sky.

[name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]: My mother’s name is [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and she was born around St [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]'s [name_u]Day[/name_u]? (But mostly I just like the name [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]). Also, Irish heritage again.

[name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]: [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is a family name and I’ve always loved [name_m]David[/name_m]

[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] [name_m]William[/name_m]: [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] is really new. I’ve just heard it a lot recently and it really grew on me. [name_m]William[/name_m] is pretty much a placeholder.

[name_m]Aaron[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]: [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] is another one that has grown on me recently. Same with [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] too.

I’m most likely to use [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (with a different middle), [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], and [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m].

[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]: I adore this name. I love love love the name [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] and have since I first heard it, it reminds me of the ocean & when I watched “Wizards of [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] Place” with my mom and little sister when I was a preteen, which is a very good memory. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] means “girl who brings happiness” and I just love that so much. I know my baby will inspire happiness! I can also imagine this name on any kind of girl—bookish, sporty, bright, shy or spunky.

[name_f]Callista[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]: I’ve always loved the name [name_f]Callista[/name_f], nn [name_f]Callie[/name_f], and have wanted to name my kid that for so long! I picked [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] because it’s literary like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and I like the sound, but I’m not 100% on it and I’m not that connected to it.

[name_m]Evander[/name_m] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]: I love the name [name_m]Evander[/name_m], again, ever since I first heard it! It’s so cute on a little boy and strong on a man. [name_u]Van[/name_u] is a great nickname. [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] sounds nice to me, I may switch that out with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] (my late grandfather). I love the meaning “lucky” for [name_m]Felix[/name_m], and think it would be so cool (hopefully not tacky) to have a middle name for my daughter that means happy and a middle name for my son that means lucky! I don’t know if “[name_m]Evander[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m]” sounds that great, or Cousteau because I adore that name, sound & namesake, but “[name_m]Evander[/name_m] Cousteau” may be too strong/harsh or outlandish.

[name_f]Briar[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]: “[name_f]Briar[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]” is the name of the princess sleeping beauty or “[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]” (my name), so I feel like it would be a special link between me and my future son. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is my other grandfather who is important to me. However, I don’t know if that is too much of other people in those names and not enough identity for my future son. Also, it may be too feminine! Ugh. I don’t know.

I have a LOT of names I like, and a lot of thoughts, and I’m very indecisive. I have time, luckily!

My signature has changed since last posted:

[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]: I think [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] is romantic and gorgeous. [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] just sounds like music to me. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is just a nice pairing with [name_f]Valentina[/name_f].

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Viola[/name_f]: I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] because it sounds regal and professional. I can see it on a little girl and a strong woman. [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is just gorgeous! I love the music connection, because I play an instrument.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]: I just recently fell in love with [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. So posh and adorable. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a long time favourite of mine.

[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Cadence[/name_f]: Although popular, I love [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. I think it is a sweet little girl’s name. [name_f]Cadence[/name_f] just flows nicely.

[name_m]Willem[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]: I love [name_m]Willem[/name_m], though I love the spelling [name_m]Willam[/name_m] too. I think the [name_m]Willam[/name_m] spelling would get confused with [name_m]William[/name_m] too often. [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] is a favourite of mine, though it is quite popular.

[name_u]Lorin[/name_u] [name_m]Archer[/name_m]: I love [name_u]Lorin[/name_u] on a boy. I hate it on a girl. I am still trying to find a good middle name for [name_u]Lorin[/name_u] so [name_m]Archer[/name_m] isn’t set right now.

[name_m]Yves[/name_m] [name_m]Beckett[/name_m]: I heard [name_m]Yves[/name_m] lasts week, and instantly fell in love. I think it is fancy! [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] is just adorable.

[name_m]Levi[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]: I love [name_m]Levi[/name_m] because I met the cutest little boy with this name. [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is one of my favourites as well.

My boy names are mostly all honour names and names with connection to musicians I admire. My girl names are very different and are pretty much Welsh with a flare of frill. My signature changes a bit but every name there, is there because I love them. They are the combos I chose out of my incredibly long list so they got listed and I’d use every single one of them if I were given that opportunity.

If I had to pick ONLY three to use on a boy (one of their middles would be changed to [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] though): [name_m]Toryn[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] [name_m]Davis[/name_m], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] & [name_u]Jensen[/name_u] [name_u]Conner[/name_u] Atreyu

If I had to pick ONLY three to use on a girl: Lakyn Akela [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Olwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] & [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]