Eysteinn??

[name]Just[/name] musing here, no little ones on the way as we’ve got a full household for now!

Lately, I’ve been obsessing slightly over the name Eysteinn (pn. in Icelandic, I believe, as A-stin). It has a difficult spelling, rhymes with our daughter’s name, and is in a completely different style of names than our kids’, but I can’t seem to get it out of my head! The sound fits in with the current -an/in/on ending trend, but it is an unusual name with a solid (albeit, slightly tragic) and real history. And the nickname [name]Ace[/name] is completely natural, and I can’t help but find MJ and [name]Ace[/name] to be an adorable pair.

Thoughts? Absolutely unusable? Change of spelling? Wonderful? Or trash it completely? Any similar names to suggest?

I’ve also been wondering recently about the name [name]Tyr[/name] (pn, again correct me if I’m wrong, as in tear-drop). Short, sturdy, cool history. But again, usable?

Thanks for any opinions – again, just musing! Sibs are [name]Milo[/name], [name]Rae[/name], and [name]Tessa[/name].
[name]David[/name]

When I saw the post, I actually thought it was a kreatif spelling of Einstein, but even after reading through, I still don’t think its very wearable. [name]Tyr[/name], on the other hand, I could get behind.

I would change the spelling to [name]Astin[/name] or [name]Aston[/name]. I agree that the other way looks like Einstein, and would be very difficult for people to pronounce. [name]Ace[/name] is a cute nn, but I would fear that it would more likely get changed to a$$ a lot. That is my problem with [name]Aspen[/name] and [name]Azariah[/name]. [name]Love[/name] those names, but shortening makes them less appealing. I do like [name]Tyr[/name], especially if it has good meaning or significance. I am a fan of short simple names, and that one definitely fits. He will have to spell it, and correct pronunciation (it will get pronounced tire a lot) but it has gotten to the point where you have to spell your name no matter how obvious it is. After all, [name]John[/name] could be [name]Jon[/name], or even Jawn these days. The great thing is, it is only three letters so he will be able to spell it quickly. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your honest opinions so far. Looks like I’ll have to regulate Eysteinn off into the guilty pleasure category!

[name]David[/name]

Agreed. As for [name]Tyr[/name]… It intrigues me but it seems a bit out-there compared to [name]Milo[/name]/MJ, [name]Rae[/name], and [name]Tessa[/name]. I’ve never really come across it, but assuming your pronunciation is right, I would think he could face quite a bit of teasing about his name: “Oh, is [name]Tyr[/name] crying again? Oh, look, it’s [name]Tyr[/name] the Cry [name]Baby[/name]…” etc., etc. Which is sad because it seems like a cool name, but maybe it’s better suited for a MN.

They are both definitely out-there compared to our naming style – when my husband saw this post, he said I’d definitely gone off into name-nut ville with these two! Looks I might have to tuck [name]Tyr[/name] away into the middle name spot if I ever want it included in a future combo, and the potential for teasing is something I hadn’t quite considered.

Although, now that Eysteinn has been shrugged off into an unwearable pile, the super-trendy [name]Easton[/name] is coming to mind…hmmm…

Thanks again alls
[name]David[/name]