Ezra for a girl?

I think a lot of names can work on any gender, I think I have different views than most when it comes to “boy” or “girl” names. I think [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] could make a very cool option for a girl! I don’t see why it couldn’t work.

(Though, I don’t have an issue with more ‘feminine’ names on boys either!)

I can imagine it on a girl. It does have a softer unisex vibe

Not really :confused: I suppose it’s in the same vein as Elijah that sounds like it could be feminine too but for me the overall vibe is that of a boys name.
How about Eliza? That’s close to Ezra or Zara?

I can’t I’m sorry to say. It feels so masculine to me.

1 Like

I personally don’t like it for a girl. I think there are a couple of similar sounding names Azriela/Azriella comes to mind. [name_u]Ezri[/name_u]?

1 Like

I’d use the feminine [name_u]Esra[/name_u].

When names are of cultural or religious significance to people, as is the case with [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], I think it is only respectful to use them accordingly.
In the same way that naming a child [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] or [name_f]India[/name_f] doesn’t sit very well with me unless those names hold significance to the family, naming a girl a male biblical name or a male name from another culture- eg the welsh [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]- doesn’t feel right.

1 Like

i like it, its different, but not the kind of name u r continuously asked to spell for people. but if i was the girl named [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] i think i would prefer it spelled [name_u]Esra[/name_u], its somehow more gentle looking and prettier.

LOVE [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] for a girl! I have a friend with this name and she carries it so well.

I like using most boy names on girls, but [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is one I just can’t see. Although, I have seen [name_u]Esra[/name_u] suggested here and I do like that!

1 Like

Sorry, but I definitely can’t picture [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] on a girl.

2 Likes

I don’t really care for it. I don’t mind a lot of traditionally male names on girls, but I think my issue with [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is that the -a ending is already associated with feminine names. Naming your daughter [name_u]James[/name_u] or something like that is very obviously an intentional choice, but if I met a little girl named [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], my first thought would be that her parents didn’t realize it was a male name.

3 Likes

@gloaming Yes, I think this may be my problem with it as well! Thank you so much for putting it into words :clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

I sort of feel this way too! Especially because the soundalike [name_u]Esra[/name_u] is a feminine name. Same when people use [name_u]Noah[/name_u] on a girl instead of [name_u]Noa[/name_u].

1 Like