Fab resource for name nerds

Thought this may be of interest to fellow name nerds. A fascinating list - Boccaccio’s on Famous Women (Click on ‘The Famous Women’).

On Famous Women

12 Likes

Many thanks @Lula-Rose. I’ve just come online…browsed the article and will look forward to reading it later… Looks promising for some new ‘crushes.’

1 Like

@mathmajor No problem. It would be fascinating to read the stories behind these women.

i saw almathea on this list and fell in love at first sight :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Fab :heart: I’d love to know if anyone got anything from it that made the cut for their list.

1 Like

[name_f]Orithyia[/name_f], [name_f]Iole[/name_f] and Cloelia stood out to me . [name_f]Gaia[/name_f] [name_f]Cyrilla[/name_f] is just fabulous - it’s such a perfect fantasy name. Others which caught my eye for wearability are Argia and Leaena. [name_f]Harmonia[/name_f], [name_f]Hortensia[/name_f], Theoxena, [name_f]Tertia[/name_f], Triaria, Sempronia, Pompeia and Poppaea stood out for sheer grandeur. I also love that there’s normal, understated names on there like [name_u]Joan[/name_u] and [name_f]Irene[/name_f].

Ooh this looks amazing, what a great find :star_struck:

1 Like

It’s inspirational. I find it amazing that real women walked the [name_f]Earth[/name_f] wearing names of such grand stature, and even more amazing that these women lived up to them.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Lula-Rose, these are really fascinating names and the women behind them are equally intriguing.
These caught my eye:
[name_f]Semiramis[/name_f]
Almathea
Leaena
Sempronia
Triaria
Symiamira
[name_f]Zenobia[/name_f]
Theoxena
Gualdrada
It’s unfortunate that many of these names did not survive into the modern era (though of course, some did).

1 Like

@choupette No problem. Almathea I feel could be wearable today, if perhaps seen as mash up of Alma and Thea. It has a woodsy, folksy feel to me, it makes me think of chunky knitwear and log cabins. Sempronia is just amazing. Some of them I just can’t imagine anyone having the presence to pull off, though these women clearly did.