Fairy Tale Names; Part 2

Ok I’ve done some thinking and with the help of a comment from another post I have come up with these are the names I have chosen so far, although I need to narrow some down.

Sleeping [name_f]Beauty[/name_f]: Eislyn (eyes-lyn, means dream or beautiful rose)
[name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]: [name_f]Cyra[/name_f] (sigh-ruh, means sun or throne, lord)
Rose-Red/Little [name_u]Red[/name_u] Riding Hood/Robin Hood (same character throughout): [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] (scar-lit, means scarlet, red)
[name_u]Snow[/name_u] White/Snow-White: [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] (bee-an-cah, means white)
Thumbelina: [name_f]Marcelina[/name_f] (mar-cell-ee-nah, means dedicated to mars, young warrior)
[name_f]Rapunzel[/name_f]: [name_f]Calytrix[/name_f] (cal-ih-trix, means starflower)
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland: Aleydis (a-lay-dis, means of noble kin) OR Adaliz (ad-a-leez, means of the nobility)
Goldilocks and the Three Bears: Aurum (oar-um, means golden dawn) OR [name_f]Rosaura[/name_f] (roz-oar-ah)
[name_u]Jack[/name_u] in the Beanstalk (female): [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f] (joss-ah-lyn, means member of the Gouts tribe)
The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid: [name_f]Adamaris[/name_f] (ad-ah-mare-iss, means noble of the sea)
[name_m]Hansel[/name_m] and [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] (both female): [name_u]Haven[/name_u] (hay-ven, means state of safety) AND [name_u]Genesis[/name_u] (gen-ah-siss, means the beginning)
The Nutcracker and the Mouse [name_m]King[/name_m]: [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f] (ca-lan-thee, means [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] orchid)
Rumpelstiltskin (queen): [name_f]Aubrielle[/name_f] (aw-bree-elle, means [name_m]God[/name_m] is my strength)
The Ugly Duckling/Swan Lake/The [name_m]Goose[/name_m] [name_f]Girl[/name_f] (same character throughout): [name_f]Avalynn[/name_f] (ave-ah-lyn, means beautiful bird)
[name_f]Beauty[/name_f] and the Beast: TBD, need name help, will use [name_u]Auberon[/name_u] (au-bur-on, means noble or bearlike) for the beast
[name_u]Snow[/name_u] [name_f]Queen[/name_f]: [name_f]Amabel[/name_f] (ahm-a-bell, means lovable)
Twelve Dancing Princesses: [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] (roz-wen, means white rose), [name_f]Nolani[/name_f] (no-lahn-ee, means heavenly mist), [name_f]Ezlynn[/name_f] (ez-lyn, means lake of help), [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] (is-old-ay, means ice ruler), [name_f]Aithne[/name_f] (aith-nee, means fire), [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] (neph-a-lee, means cloudy), [name_f]Mavery[/name_f] (mave-er-ee, means gift of God), [name_f]Silvana[/name_f] (sil-vahn-ah, means of the forest), Ambrielle (am-bree-elle, means perfect jewel), [name_f]Maelys[/name_f] (may-lees, means chief or prince), [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] (as-stree-ah, means star), Zavia (zah-vee-ah, means new house)
[name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] (Guinevere): TBD, would prefer a name with the same meaning or one that starts with G
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m] (Wendy): TBD, would prefer a name with the same meaning or one that starts with W
The [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m] (Dorothy): TBD, would prefer a name with the same meaning or one that starts with D

Any other fairy tales I may have forgotten will be welcome! Thanks so much! Wow, that was a long post.

2 Likes

Callidora, meaning Gift of Beauty?

Undine or Ondine, perhaps? They both mean little wave. Some other G names:
Gaenor
Galena
Gwenllian

You can find the meanings of the following names here: Names — Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources

Galicia
Gilia
Gislilde

Waveney
Winry
Winika
Willow

I love all of the carefully chosen names you have rebranded the characters with. It sounds like an exciting project!

(I’m focusing on meanings, not letters!)

For [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], how close to the meaning does it necessarily need to be?

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] has the same meaning, so that’s a possibility, but would names along the lines of ‘pledged to God’ work as well? Because… well, I see more names that fit this meaning for boys.

There’s like a gazillion variations of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] — as I’ve said, ‘pledged to God’ — and one of my favourites is [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]. But I’m sure you could find a list specifically of variations of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] somewhere, so… you know.

[name_f]Mavery[/name_f], ironically, would have worked well here! But it feels right in the 12DP list (which I love! I love this fairy tale but naming the princesses for retellings is remarkably tedious… at least for me.)

As for [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], ‘white shadow, white wave’… oh jeez. [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] and [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] share the same meaning as this, but [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] is probably a safer bet for [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] if you want to go by meanings… or perhaps the diminutive [name_f]Jenna[/name_f]?

I guess [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] could be [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]? [name_u]Or[/name_u], you know, [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. And [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] could be something else.

Working on meanings for two characters who originally had names with the same meaning is a little awkward, apparently.

For [name_f]Beauty[/name_f],
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_u]Kenna[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhoda[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]

For [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] I like Genova meaning new wave.

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] would be a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] derivative,
[name_f]Jeanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Janelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Jeannie[/name_f]
[name_f]Janae[/name_f]
[name_f]Janine[/name_f]