Fake Teaser Game!

“You can’t survive deadly poison through sheer force of will, Mason,” said [name_f]Lily[/name_f] softly.
“I can try,” [name_u]Mason[/name_u] choked.

Next word:

deadly

“Wolfsbane?!” Arslan exclaimed when he saw [name_f]Layla[/name_f] holding the herb-laced water gun. “Sis…are you trying to kill Mom?!”

“Yeah, isn’t wolfsbane deadly to werewolves?” Shireen asked.

“No, no, it’s not deadly,” [name_f]Layla[/name_f] said reassuringly. “And no, I’m not trying to kill Mom. Wolfsbane eases the symptoms of lycanthropy. Yes, she’ll be weak after we use it on her, but she’ll revert back to normal…well, as normal as a werewolf can get. But the weakness isn’t permanent. Plus, we’ve gotta stop her from attacking your dad somehow. I really don’t know of any other way.” She gave her water gun a few pumps, still looking at her siblings. “Let’s go. We’ve gotta hurry.”

Next word: permanent

1 Like

Elcie sat in the corner of the darkened room, between the bed and the wall, hoping no one would find her. She was curled in on herself, a ball of terrible misery. The door swung open and a figure stood in the opening. It was [name_u]Rae[/name_u], Elcie knew. [name_u]Rae[/name_u] was the only person who would come after her after what Elcie had just done. She remembered screaming, and breaking things, a horrible haze of grief. [name_u]Rae[/name_u] came and sat on the bed. She smiled sadly, “Elce,” she murmured. “It’s ok, you know.”
Elcie frowned, blinking tears from her eyes. “What’s ok?”
“It’s ok to be in pain, and to be sad,” [name_u]Rae[/name_u] said.
“I am both of those, and I’m angry, too!” Elcie exclaimed.
“Why are you angry?” Rae’s voice, as always, was filled with sympathetic warmth.
“I’m angry at CJ, for dying! And at everyone in that stupid room, with their stupid fake sympathy and their STUPID empty words! And I’m angry at myself, for thinking that everything was going to stay like it was: happy and fun!” When Elcie finished, she seemed to deflate like a balloon.
“Nothing’s permanent, Elce,” [name_u]Rae[/name_u] whispered, her eyes forming tears of her own. “Not even friendship.”

Next word: misery

2 Likes

“Are you sure this is the right book?” [name_u]Raven[/name_u] asked, flicking through the pages.
“Yes, why?”
“Because I don’t recall any spells relating to the misery of people who lived during some war or another. Are you sure this isn’t a [name_m]History[/name_m] textbook?”

Next: relate/related/relating

The thing about being related to [name_u]Prince[/name_u] [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] is that you’re just as famous. Sure, I’m his cousin and as next in line to the throne- at least until he has kids- people want to hear from me and what I have to say about the things happening in our country, but I’m not him, it doesn’t matter my opinion.

Next: kids

Kids. While most of her classmates used it to refer to themselves, [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] had avoided the word for years. Why would she want to use a word that made her think of goats after almost being killed by a goat monster?

Next: monster

The carnage spread around [name_f]Riva[/name_f] made her heart quicken, but the real source of anxiety was the one person still standing. She suspected her eyes were still glowing, but the hatred burning in Myla’s made hers just as bright.
“And you said you weren’t a monster,” [name_f]Myla[/name_f] spat. “For years you made excuses. For years I did too. But look at this!” She stalked toward [name_f]Riva[/name_f], steps slow, dual swords glinting in the sunlight.
“You’re a monster.” Her words were thick and slow and brimming with loathing.
But [name_f]Riva[/name_f] smiled, still glowing, unspeakable power coursing through her veins. “Only in name.”

(Oh jeez, that’s long, sorry!)

Next: anxiety

2 Likes

I could see how the news was making [name_f]Neve[/name_f] anxious – the foot-tapping, the constant pacing up-and-down the carriage, gaze never quite resting on the windows. If I’d been in her shoes (which, in fairness, we were already in the exact same, uh, train), I’d have been acting more like her twin. He was staying put, and looked pretty calm.
Maybe that was worrying, considering the whole murder part of this situation, but who was I to talk? I wasn’t exactly panicked about this… is that worrying, or is this just shock?

Next: shock

4 Likes

“You don’t have to make it so obvious,” I hissed to [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. She was clearly in shock from what had just happened, whereas for me and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], this was a daily occurrence. “Can I get you anything else?” Asked the lady serving. “No thanks, just the tea for us, please.” I said, putting on my posh British accent.

Next word: hissed

“Let me hold her.”
“As far as you’re concerned, she’s my baby.” [name_f]Polly[/name_f] hissed at [name_u]James[/name_u].
[name_u]James[/name_u] shook his head, concerned. “I’m nearly eighteen and look older. No one will second guess me.”
Reluctantly, with a spiteful gleam in her eye, [name_f]Polly[/name_f] handed over baby [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

next word: eighteen

“Happy birthday.” [name_u]Alex[/name_u] tells no one.
“Happy birthday [name_f]Sia[/name_f]. Rest in peace I guess.” Tears fill my eyes. If she was alive, she would finally be eighteen.
[name_u]Alex[/name_u] sits next to me. “We’ll make it. We’ll beat those zombies to death!” I know she’s just trying to cheer me up but I doesn’t work.

Next word: eyes

Jane’s big blue eyes stared up at [name_f]Polly[/name_f] innocently.
[name_u]James[/name_u] had been right. The only questions raised were of Polly’s age and her relation to [name_u]James[/name_u]. No one doubted that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] was James’s daughter.
If only…

next: daughter

“Why wouldn’t he be furious about [name_m]Louis[/name_m] falling ill with scarlet fever? He’d been dragging us all to those ’events’ since his daughter was a newborn!” I snapped, not turning to look at him.

“You mean the hangings.”

“Yes, I mean public executions. Disgusting things.”

It takes a moment for things to catch up again, and I freeze.

Because I’ve done it now.

It is Alexander’s family who decided hangings should be public, accessible to all in the area. I am telling the heir to the throne that I think something his ancestor agreed with is awful.

And he can absolutely claim treason for such a thing without question. I’ve heard of men before him lying in entirety about crimes their citizens committed, having them hanged because they merely disliked the person.

The world has gone quiet. Too quiet.

Next: freeze

1 Like

The ride on the train was long and cold. [name_u]James[/name_u] once muttered his worries for Jane’s health. She was only two weeks old.
[name_f]Polly[/name_f] shivered as she thoughtlessly recalled stories of young children freezing from the cold.

next: story/stories

bump

> save game
Your game has been saved.
> Hold on. I just realized something. I didn’t even make any progression in the story this time. All I did was talking to you.
I know. Is that a problem?
> I’m not sure.

next: game

[name_m]Josiah[/name_m] stifled a chuckle and rolled his eyes as Detective [name_m]Hastings[/name_m] continued questioning his parents. [name_m]Hastings[/name_m] looked at the teen with an irate expression.

“Something you’d like to share with us?”

“Only that this is pointless,” [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] said. “The guy deserved it. I really couldn’t give two shits about him.”

"Language," [name_f]Paula[/name_f] said firmly.

“Sorry,” [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] muttered, then spoke to [name_m]Hastings[/name_m]. “I mean, really, Mr. Feng was a massive turd sandwich. Why should we care that he’s dead? Whoever killed the guy should get a medal. I’ll personally thank them. The guy should’ve been arrested for making our lives Hell.”

“Josiah [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] McClellan,” [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] said warningly. He turned and apologized for his son’s behavior.

[name_m]Hastings[/name_m], having had enough, pulled up a chair and addressed [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]. “Young man, this isn’t a game, or something to laugh at. A man is dead. You and your family were his last known tenants.”

“So?” [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] said. “My mom and dad aren’t killers.”

Next word: medal

“Oh, my apologies,” [name_f]Talia[/name_f] whispered, her eyes alight with mischief. “I didn’t realise the police were hiring twelve year olds.”

“I’m fourteen,” [name_f]Kate[/name_f] sighed.

“Would you like a medal for that?”

“I want to know why you’re following me. You want to know why I’m quote-unquote suspicious of you? Because you’ve been following me around. [name_u]Or[/name_u] do I have to remind you of that all over again?”

[name_f]Talia[/name_f] laughed at that, and then refused to speak another word.

Next: remind

“Remind me to murder you before Purge Night’s over,” Tahamine said angrily to her husband, careful not to raise her voice and wake the kids.

Andragoras sighed and rolled his eyes, then started putting his weapons away. “Alright, what did I do?”

Tahamine glared and slammed the weapons closet shut, then got in Andragoras’ now frightened face. “Look at me when I’m talking to you, darn it! And don’t you dare roll your eyes! You know full well what you did! You dragged Arslan out on freaking Purge [name_u]Night[/name_u], when I explicitly told you he wasn’t going! I don’t give a crap that you started Purging at fourteen! Arslan isn’t you! Neither he nor Shireen are Purging!” She pulled away from Andragoras and started walking towards the guest room.

“Listen, Tahamine–” Andragoras began, but was cut off.

Tahamine stopped in her tracks and whipped around to glare at her husband again. “Listen? Listen?! Why should I?! Our son is now traumatized thanks to your stupid actions! For crying out loud, he was almost killed! You’re lucky Daryun, [name_m]Hermes[/name_m] and Xandes got to Arslan in time and got him out of that bloodbath!” She took a deep breath and quickly looked into her children’s rooms, then was relieved she hadn’t woken them. Both of them, poor Arslan in particular, needed the rest tonight.

Tahamine pushed past Andragoras and stormed into the kitchen, where she took out a knife. She marched back to Andragoras, ready for the kill. [name_m]Just[/name_m] then, the siren signaling the end of the annual Purge blared for all to hear. Disappointed, Tahamine went back to the kitchen and put the knife away. She walked back up to Andragoras, still glaring.

“You just lucked out. There’s always next year. By the way, the kids are staying home from school for the rest of the week.”

Next word: purge

“Well… that’s just it. I’m not sure you understand how we’re different yet.”

“Aside from the fact that you’re not a maniac hellbent on my family’s destruction, I don’t think you’re as different as you want to think you are,” I said slowly. The look on the witch’s face was not a particularly good sign, but I continued anyway. “I mean, you’re both incredibly powerful magic users and could probably, like, purge the world of people who deserve it with a snap of your fingers or a flick of your wrist. You’ve both used magic that’s good and magic that’s bad… she just calls herself something different. So what? [name_m]God[/name_m], you really are practically the same…”

I wanted to take back every word that left my mouth when [name_u]Loren[/name_u] glared at me, an obvious fury that meant imminent hellfire burning within him.

Next: sign