Family critical of my name choice :(

I just told my Dad last night that my favorite name for a girl is [name]India[/name] (which was one of his Aunt’s names). He said to “choose a cute middle name cos that is what I’ll be calling her”! Scoff!
So I told him that we were going to name her [name]India[/name] [name]India[/name] W*** ([name]India[/name] as the middle name too!).

He’s gonna love the kid whether he loves the name or not.
In the meantime he can suck it…it’s OUR kid!

Best wishes to you!
[name]Tara[/name]

[name]Don[/name]'t listen to your family - if you try to please the masses you compromise yourself away, and end up with a boring predictable name.

I am so sorry about your family’s response! After a similar experience when we were expecting our first, we swore we’d keep the name a secret the next time around. Honestly, the best thing I can say is stay firm in YOUR feelings about the name. There is nothing better than feeling that love and connection to your little girls name.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your family has this reaction, other people probably will too. This will be her name, not your’s, so think carefully about what kind of perceptions you want people to have when they hear your daughter’s name.

Perhaps you could go into detail with your family about their misgivings.

My in-laws HATED my dd’s name, [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name]. They rolled their eyes, they made fun of it, they pretended not to be able to say it and constantly brought up the other ‘cute kids names’ in the family, KrisDee, [name]Kevan[/name], [name]Kaitlan[/name], [name]Brogan[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name], as examples of better naming.

But now she is six months old and they dont even notice it any more!

I like [name]Paisley[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. Have you also considered [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Paisley[/name]?