Family members already have our favorite names!

We’re looking for a name for our first baby, but it seems like all the names we like have been taken! Our last name is one of those three-syllable names that ends in “son,” which rules out names like [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Addison[/name]. We aren’t finding out the sex, so we need to come up with at least one boy and one girl name.

Taken, but we love:
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Collin[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]

Can anyone give suggestions that are along the same line as those above?

For a girl, we will most likely do [name]Mara[/name] as a middle name. I like [name]Elliot[/name] for a boy, but my husband thinks it’s too nerdy!

Some you might like :

[name]Sadie[/name]
Jilllian
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Jules[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]

First up contrary to the thinking of many here on nameberry I think it is perfectly fine to use the same name that someone else in the family has been given. For example in our extended family there are two sisters, both had sons and they both named them [name]Jeremy[/name]!

As a word of caution though if you were to use the same name as a relatives child I would speak to the relative ahead of time to see if they are open to it or if it would cause a problem. I think many would be flattered and honoured but check to make sure.

[name]Mia[/name] I think that this is a good nn for [name]Amelia[/name] so that is a fresh take on the name
[name]Stella[/name] A very popular name and I would recommend that you put her on your list
[name]Lucia[/name] The lovely [name]Lucy[/name] in all forms is hard to beat and one of the most up to date variants is [name]Lucinda[/name], put her on your list too
[name]Hazel[/name] is sweet but I would go for [name]Phillipa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name] instead
Collinn for a girl?? No
[name]Justine[/name] dated
[name]Juliana[/name] I would put [name]Juliet[/name] instead on your list, you cannot better this gorgeous name imo and I would put [name]Genevieve[/name] right along side of her
[name]Nora[/name] not one that I like
[name]Claire[/name] is boring but makes a great combo as [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Claire[/name], you may like [name]Ciel[/name] and the combo of [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] (sky in French)

More suggestions
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name]

As for [name]Mara[/name] I don’t like her much I like other [name]Mary[/name] variants a lot more including [name]Mary[/name], eg [name]Marianna[/name], [name]Marisol[/name], [name]Maren[/name], [name]Marie[/name]/[name]Maree[/name], [name]Marianne[/name].

I think [name]Elliott[/name] is a great name for a boy and the nn of [name]Eli[/name] is very in vogue
More names
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Preston[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Colton[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Jensen[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Alister[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name]

Great names on your list! Mara is a cool middle name. Not sure if you like nicknames, but I’ve included possibilities in parentheses.

Some ideas for a girl:

Amelia/Amelie (Milly)
Beatrix (Bea, Trixie)
Coralie/Coraline (Cora, Cory)
Cosima (Cosi)
Jade
Juliet/Juliette (Jules)
Junia (June)
Rosalie (Rose, Rosie)
Roxana/Roxanne (Roxy)
Ruby
Violet

For a boy, I love Elliot! To me it’s very versatile, could be a geek or a jock :slight_smile:
Some other boy ideas:

Archer
Everett
Henry (Hank)
Holden
Theodore (Theo)
Nathaniel (Nate, Nathan)
Walker

Happy naming!

After reading your post, my first ideas were [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Maya[/name]. For a boy I love [name]Elliot[/name]! Some other suggestions:

[name]Gray[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Callan[/name]
[name]Walt[/name]

[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]