Family name been "stolen" by popularity or trendyness?

I was just thinking about my son’s middle name, [name]Austin[/name], the other day. I love the name and it has been used in my family for 5 generations now! [name]Austin[/name] was my great-grandfather’s name as well as my grandfathers. It is my uncle’s middle name and a few of my cousins have [name]Austin[/name] as a mn as well. My cousin’s son is named [name]Austin[/name] (about 8 years old now).

When I was pregnant with my son, [name]Austin[/name] was on my list as well as my husband’s. But I heard a kid called [name]Austin[/name] everywhere I went and it was totally ruined! I also didn’t want to look like I was just jumping on the [name]Austin[/name] trend! I was so sad. My husband really pushed to name him [name]Austin[/name] but I just couldn’t do it. It would have been a little wierd too since my cousin named his kid [name]Austin[/name], but they live on the opposite end of the country so we probaby would have been ok.

Anyone else with a similar experience? Did you use the name anyways? Use it as a middle like I did? [name]Just[/name] curious!

Well I can’t say for sure that we would have used it, just because it’s pretty long with our last name, but my mother’s maiden name is [name]Sawyer[/name] and it really bothers me that [name]Sawyer[/name] is . . . well trendy now.

My Mum’s maiden name is [name]Oliver[/name]. Sigh.

…and my last name is also a top 100 boys name now.

My maiden name is [name]Taylor[/name]. It really annoys me that it’s so popular as girls name… I would like it as a boys name if it weren’t so trendy (and if it sounded good with my married last name— and it definitely doesn’t!). I can hardly even consider it as a middle name now.

My maiden name is [name]Nash[/name] and it is growing in trends, though I would never use it.

My great grandfather’s name is [name]Edward[/name], and I really love it. Now, if I use it, everyone will think I’m a Twilight fan. sigh

I think if a name has family significance it is really special and it doesn’t matter how trendy it has become.

I think the use-as-a-middle solution is a good one–often, the trendiest names get less use in the middle slot, so it sounds fresher there.

My mum’s maiden name is [name]Delaney[/name] and I’ve always wanted to use it (for a girl). It still isn’t popular here, but I think it is trendy in [name]America[/name].

My great great grandma’s name was [name]Eliza[/name]!
[name]Charlotte[/name] was my grandma’s favourite aunts name and my middle name!
[name]Henry[/name] is also a family name
[name]Sarah[/name] is my other grandma’s name, she was name after her aunt who passed away before she was born
“[name]Will[/name]” names have been in my family for over 5 generations now
[name]Mary[/name] and [name]John[/name] and been in my family forever.

:slight_smile:

Well, it’s a little different, but my mom’s name is [name]Graziella[/name]. She didn’t really like it, so she goes by [name]Grace[/name]. When I get older I would love to give my daughter the middle name of [name]Grace[/name]. The only thing is, now it seems like such a filler name! So now I’m considering using [name]Graciella[/name] instead, because my mom would have like that to be her name because she thinks it sounds softer with a “c” than a “z” in the middle.

My maiden name is [name]Hailey[/name]! I could use it as a middle name for a girl, but not a first name for sure.