Family name help, please

We are due in [name]August[/name] with our second girl. DD’s first name is a family name from my side and her middle name was chosen by DH way before we even began dating. It’s not my favorite name, but it meant a lot to him. :wink: This time around we’d like to use a name (first or middle) from his side of the family. The list is decent, but I’m just not getting the “feeling” from any of them. I like several, but I don’t love them…yet. Also, our last name is one syllable and very heavy on the letter G (ends and begins w/it). Last name sounds similar to Grigg.

Which of these names would fit with our DD [name]Annaleigh[/name] [name]Faith[/name]?

[name]Margaret[/name] - one of our favorites, nn [name]Maisie[/name], but is it too heavy on Gs w/ our last name?
[name]Jewell[/name] - possible middle name?
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Arabelle[/name] (pronounced aura-bell) - too similar to [name]Annaleigh[/name]?
[name]Kay[/name]

Also, we’re open to suggestions using at least one of the names from the above list. I like feminine names that are less common, but easy to pronounce.

Thanks!

I think it [name]Jewell[/name] is beautiful! I think the others maybe too old; but have you conscidered [name]Francesca[/name] as a firm of [name]Frances[/name]? :slight_smile:

[name]Annaleigh[/name] and [name]Frances[/name]! I love [name]Frances[/name], [name]Franny[/name] is such a cute nn. I also really like [name]Jewell[/name] but I agree it would be better for a mn, it isn’t as classic as [name]Annaleigh[/name]. [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] is adorable!

[name]Annaleigh[/name] is a pretty sounding name, I think choose something equally as frilly.
I like the SOUND or [name]Aura[/name]-belle alot as it is pretty and different yet fits in with [name]Annabel[/name]/ [name]Arabella[/name]/ [name]Isabelle[/name]/ [name]Elle[/name] names which are popular. But I feel if you spell it [name]Arabelle[/name] she will constantly be correcting people as they will say “[name]Ara[/name]- belle” IMHO.
[name]How[/name] about Aurabelle? It is more intuitive.
[name]Helen[/name] is nice, [name]Helena[/name] is even prettier with [name]Annaleigh[/name].

Aurabelle [name]Frances[/name] “Grigg”
[name]Margaret[/name] Aurabelle “Grigg”
Aurabelle [name]Kay[/name] “Grigg”

emiliaj

I think [name]Arabelle[/name] is a nice pair with [name]Annaleigh[/name]. They’re similar without being matchy.

I had a chance to run your suggestions by DH today and here are our thoughts…

@sodallas3 - we think [name]Francesca[/name] is a beautiful name, but a little too Italian for our Scotch-Irish and Swedish backgrounds. Also, there’s a very popular chain of stores here called [name]Francesca[/name]'s and I’m just not sure I can get over that. :wink:

@wildrose - I had been toying with [name]Frances[/name], but DH was not fond of it until I read him your comments. It’s moved to the top of our list!

@emiliaj - I love your idea of changing the spelling of [name]Arabelle[/name] to Aurabelle. DH is concerned that it still sounds too much like [name]Annaleigh[/name] and he doesn’t want matchy names. We thought about it as a mn, but we have to be careful about initials with our G last name: [name]Frances[/name] Aurabelle Grigg would be FAG, and while we’re pro-GLBTQ, I’m afraid that kids would be cruel in grade school.

Also, I’m just learning that DH has some reservations about giving a child the name [name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name] after his grandmother as she suffered from severe mental illness her whole life and he doesn’t want to saddle a kid with that baggage. I think it’s off the list, but at least I’m learning more about DH’s thought process, right?

@dragonfruitbabe - see comment about about matchy names.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Any beautiful off-list names that we should consider?

Thanks so very much!!

I like [name]Arabelle[/name] or [name]Jewel[/name] (sans the extra L).

[name]Frances[/name] is a great name and so underused! I love the suggestion of [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jewell[/name].

I really love [name]Margaret[/name], and I don’t think its too much with your surname. I think its gorgeous.

My favorite is [name]Margaret[/name] bc I love [name]Maisie[/name]!! My second favorite is [name]Frances[/name]. Good luck!

Update!!!

I think we’ve narrowed it down to either
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] (2 family names)
Or
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] (1 family name and 1 name we love)

2 questions…

1. which name selection sounds better with our daughter’s name ([name]Annaleigh[/name] [name]Faith[/name]) and our last name (“Grigg”)
  2. how do most folks pronounce [name]Beatrice[/name]? I say [name]Bee[/name]-yuh-tris, but my [name]MIL[/name] says [name]Bee[/name]-AT-tris.

Thanks for the continued input!!

I vote for [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jewell[/name]. [name]Annaleigh[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]. I love it! So cute! And I pronounce it [name]BEE[/name]-uh-tris

So you wouldn’t do another virtue name for a middle name?

I pick [name]Margaret[/name] because it has the same # of syllables as [name]Annaleigh[/name].

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] - bee-uh-tris. [name]Love[/name] the meaning -she who brings happiness. I like all the nn possibilities of [name]Bea[/name] or [name]Bebe[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Frances[/name]!

I think I would choose [name]Margaret[/name] if our last name weren’t so heavy on the “Gs”. [name]Margaret[/name] “Grigg” is too much the more I say it.

As For the middle name, I’m not personally a fan of the virtue names…just not my style, but DH loves the name [name]Faith[/name] and has loved it for years. Sometimes compromise is good for a marriage…and to me, [name]Faith[/name] as a middle name was better than a first name. :wink:

While I do like [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] better, I think [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] is a better fit with [name]Annaleigh[/name] [name]Faith[/name], because it is a little more frilly. I pronounce it more like [name]Bee[/name]-triss (which is probably the Be-uh-tris with an almost silent “a”).

I said [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] earlier, but suddenly thought of the potential for “fanny jewel”…

I like [name]Frances[/name] [name]Jewell[/name] better, and I pronounce [name]Beatrice[/name] almost like beer-tris.

I don’t see it as a problem, but if it bothers you (the Gs). I would just keep in mind though that her last name at birth may not always be her last name. So I don’t take our last name into much consideration in pairing the first & middle with it. [name]Just[/name] a thought to keep in the back of your head. :slight_smile: