Father/Son names that happen to rhyme

[name]Hi[/name]! We have decided to name our son [name]William[/name] after his dad and grandfather. My husband goes by “[name]Bill[/name].” I love the idea of naming our son [name]William[/name] and calling him [name]Will[/name] but I’m not loving the idea of a [name]Bill[/name] and a [name]Will[/name] in the same household. Is it weird to have father/son names that happen to rhyme? Our other option is to call him by his middle name (my husband wants our son to have his initials…our compromise on not giving him the same name). I’m not crazy about calling him by his middle name ([name]Blake[/name]) either only because I hear that people who go by their middle name generally don’t like it. Which is the better option? A name that rhymes with Dad or going by your middle name?

I would call him [name]Will[/name]. I dont think rhyming is a big problem, and I’m not fan of using middle name as a first name unless it evolves after the child is born. My thinking is that if you wanted to call him [name]Blake[/name] and honor [name]William[/name], you’d name him [name]Blake[/name] [name]William[/name]. But if you want to name him [name]William[/name], then call him [name]Will[/name]… or maybe [name]Liam[/name]?

I love the name [name]Will[/name] and for some reason think of it as being completely different that [name]Bill[/name]. I don’t think it’s weird, but may prove difficult if you ever “holler” for something form the other room. :slight_smile: [name]Blake[/name] is nice also, and I have always known people who were intentionally named to go by their middle name so I’ve always found it interesting and fun, not weird. I have also never known any of those people to dislike it. This includes a family with 3 daughters (oldest now in her 20s, youngest in 9th grade, and also, I believe their parents go by their middle names) and a family of six sons (oldest in mid-twenties and youngest mid high school) From what I’ve observed, they all like their middle names that they go by and they suit them some how. They sometimes use their first names, for example, formal occasions like weddings or graduations, or just at random. (our friend [name]Kory[/name] once made a reservation for a double date under his first name [name]Robert[/name] - just because). I think they have enjoyed the flexibility ([name]Michael[/name] [name]Kristian[/name] decided to go by [name]Mike[/name] in 10th grade soccer since there were 2 other Christians and a [name]Chris[/name]), and in these families’ cases, the solidarity between the siblings and the tradition. Food for thought - - -hope it’s helpful. :slight_smile: Either way I don’t think either of your ideas are strange.

I know a [name]Bill[/name] and his son [name]Will[/name]. As far as I know, they don’t have any issues with the names being too rhymey. I think it’s a great idea.

Rhyming names like [name]Jake[/name] and [name]Blake[/name] are bad but [name]Bill[/name] and [name]Will[/name] are ok because they’re different nicknames for the same name. I like it. It’s better than them having the exact same name like [name]Bill[/name] and [name]Bill[/name] [name]Jr[/name].

I agree, [name]Bill[/name] and [name]Will[/name] are perfectly fine, and better than [name]Bill[/name] and [name]Bill[/name] [name]Jr[/name]. I also like the nn [name]Liam[/name] for [name]William[/name].