Favorite name butchered?

Before I start this off, I don’t mean anglicized versions. I mean someone purposefully changing a spelling of a name to make things “easier” for them. Can your example happen to be an anglicized version? Yes, but I don’t want anyone getting offended so please be respectful. Thanks :slight_smile:

My example would be [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] (mad-uh-line is how I personally pronounce it, rather than the -len way). I absolutely [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] that name and have [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] on my list (nn would be [name_f]Elle[/name_f], not [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]). I’m fine with [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] as well, it’s an accepted and equally pretty spelling and I know a [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and a [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. I detest [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] but it’s still a respectable alternative.

Now comes the butchering

I consider [name_f]Madilyn[/name_f] a butchered spelling. Sorry, it looks so tacky and the nickname Madi is so incomplete to me. The worst I’ve ever seen is [name_f]Madalynn[/name_f]. I wanted to cry when I saw it. I can’t understand how the beautiful elegance of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] can turn into [name_f]Madalynn[/name_f] or something off the wall like Maddilynne. I’m sorry if you love/have used this name before, this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

Rant over, what is your favorite name that you’ve seen butchered?

I see where you are coming from, the only two names that I use alternative/less popular spellings for are [name_f]Elaina[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. No one where I live would pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] as Eh-[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-nah. So it’s the only option really, even if the other is more regal.

Names that bother me are names like [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] or [name_m]Jayke[/name_m]. I have a friend whose middle name is [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] and she’s friends with a guy called [name_m]Jayke[/name_m]. To me, that’s just silly, and makes utterly no sense. It’s not hard to pronounce or has an alternative pronunciation, so what’s the point? Maybe I am missing something.

@sodallas - I think people add random, unnecessary letters into names to make them “unique”, I don’t get it either.