Favorite Names and Your Style in Everything Else

[name]Do[/name] your favorite names kind of match your sense of style in other areas? The way you decorate your home? Your dishes? your clothes? etc.?
I’ve notice that my living and dining rooms look 1940’s National [name]Park[/name] with reddish maple furniture whereas my bedroom looks [name]Early[/name] American. I love classic names and also woodsy vintage names. I did have National [name]Park[/name] furniture for my bedroom many years ago, but my husband and I gave it to our friends because we wanted a bigger bed. The old bed was just a double. It was probably from the 1940’s. So I think my true style has a split personality between vintage and classic. My favorite names echo that classic/vintage style.
My 1940’s National [name]Park[/name] Reddish Maple Style (has to sound [name]Americana[/name]):
Girls:
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]

Boys:
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Forrest[/name]
[name]Russell[/name]

[name]Early[/name] American Style Names:
In [name]California[/name], [name]Early[/name] American Style is really out of it. I am unique and a bit odd because I love it. Shaker is a really fun style! Around here only old ladies decorate in [name]Early[/name] American. I also love folk art, and mix it in with my [name]Early[/name] American and 1940’s National [name]Park[/name] styles. My dishes are all classic style. No National [name]Park[/name] dishes, too bad. Need to get some one day!
Girls:
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]

Boys:
[name]William[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]

Sorry, double post

I’m an art deco fan. The roaring 20’s are a perfect fit for me. My house is done in natural but varied shades (from a mossy green in the bedroom to a brick red in the dining room/kitchen, the living room and playroom are shades of golden (living room) and sky blue (playroom) I was thinking of painting the laundry room/mudroom/workroom a clayish orange, just to brighten things up. They’re the last white walls in the house.

My dishes are fiestaware in a mixed bunch of colors, rose, cobalt, persimmon, plum, sea mist, shamrock, black, white, sunflower, tangerine, scarlet & cinnabar. I’m thinking of adding turquoise to the mix for my birthday.

I like my comfort but I like things that are pretty or feel lovely. It may be useful but if it’s not lovely also, I don’t want it. I sort of live by this quote:
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. " -[name]William[/name] [name]Morris[/name]

And I am similar to my mother but a bit different. She preferred earth tones, golden yellow, deep pine green, brown & orange where I’m a bit lusher, sky tones, purple, mossy greens, soft, baby yellows, muted oranges, orangey pinks, some pale blues.

I really do try. As a 20 something, I was a cash-strapped single mom to twin boys and found if I bought what pleased me, I was less likely to want to run out and replace it, when my mood changed, which saved me money in the long run. So I just kept that going. Now the boys are picking up on it, surrounding themselves with stuff that pleases them. And [name]Josie[/name] definitely has my eye, she’s already gravitiating to soft, somewhat lush fabrics when she dresses and her little bed is covered in chenille and satin, she swipes bits of my fabirc and has a blast!

I think my general name taste reflects this art deco, roaring 20’s sort of thing I have going. Anyone care to tell me otherwise? (I’d love to know if I’m feeling it right or not!) :smiley:

[name]Edit[/name]: forgot to put in my names!

[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Remy[/name]
[name]Cosmo[/name]
[name]Bruno[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Clarence[/name]/[name]Clancy[/name]

[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Maud[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Lucretia[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]

Great post!

I would agree that mine match but I am not sure I know as much about names to date them. But in my heart the styles match.

I have what I like to call a Transitional style of furniture… There are basic traditional elements but just modernized ever so slightly. I want my home to be warm and welcoming above all else.

I am very traditional in my appearance (a great sweater and pearls goes with anything from jeans to dress pants!)

My fave names right now are:
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] nn Rett
[name]Alec[/name]
[name]Luca[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] (boy or girl but like for a girl best)
[name]Elliott[/name] (boy or girl but like for a girl best)
[name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name]
[name]Remi[/name] (girl)
[name]Caroline[/name]

I also love [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] but they’re too popular right now and that turns me off.

[name]Do[/name] you know anything more about those names like dates?

I have to revive this post since it’s such a fun question. I think the names I like tend to overlap with my taste in other things but it’s difficult to generalize because I’m fairly eclectic. That said, I’ll try it anyway: I’m an easygoing, bookish romantic with a flair for the dramatic.

Furnishings/Decorations: I have long been drawn to import store finds–shoji screens, darkly stained woods, jewel-toned throws, table fountains, funky mirrors, ornate trinket boxes, richly scented candles, you name it.

Clothes: It’s mostly about fit and color–I’m big on color and can’t stand to wear anything that strikes me as boring. I’m especially drawn to jewel tones and metallics, perhaps because that’s what I think I look best in. I’m only just learning now to incorporate classics with my more vibrant finds so that they’re more versatile. Jewelry doesn’t have to be real, just interesting. I wore my hair long and loose till a couple years ago, when I was looking for a 20’s glam thing (not that it’s working out exactly as desired, haha).

Names: I think I’m more conservative with names than with many other things, because it’s someone else’s life and it’s a hassle to have to correct people and/or defend your name constantly (all three of the names I grew up with were misspelled and mispronounced). I want names to sound familiar but distinctive without being too outlandish.
Girls’ Names
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Amity[/name]
[name]Alana[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Noemi[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]

Boys’ Names
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]

Yep, my favorite names absolutely match my styles in fashion and architecture!

When it comes to clothing, my style is classic, elegant, and sophisticated, and when it comes to architecture and design, I’m obessed with all things Georgian and Colonial. I’m very classic and traditional.

[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]

[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]

Great post, [name]Susan[/name]! :slight_smile:

Fascinating – I never thought of this, but yes!! My decorating style is Scandinavian modern with lots of sentimental family heirlooms and things I’ve collected traveling & living around the world. My names definitely reflect this – they are either scandinavian/european names and/or names that have a very strong meaning to me, from history or art or literature, with middle names strictly from immediate family (ie parents).

Boys:
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Bo[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Satchel[/name]

Girls
[name]Isis[/name]
Segolene
[name]Signe[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]

Middle names - all family names
[name]Melville[/name]
[name]Larsen[/name]
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]

Hmm… my naming style and general style both seem to be a bit all over the place, but I’ll try and describe :slight_smile:

Clothing: I’m a big vintage fan, and I browse op-shops and vintage stores all of the time. I adore 20’s evening wear, and 40s day wear, as well as 50s and 60s, sometimes even 70s clothing - especially the dresses. I wear dresses and skirts a lot, and jeans. I need pattern or colour on pretty much everything :slight_smile: I love vintage rings and necklaces too- yay ebay!

Decor: Again, I’m a little all over the place. every room is personalized. I have photos in every room (even the toilet!) and I love detail. Most rooms have little knick-knack boxes, vintage photo frames & jewelery boxes and things like that. I also have a weakness for huge old mirrors, with grand gold frames and such! And I have old cameras (like box brownies) dotted through our book cases, coz I collect them :slight_smile: I love French vintage furniture too- that crisp, white wood with the beautiful details!
Mine & Dhs room is a deep plum, [name]Tilly[/name]‘s room is a mandarin orange with white trimmings and the twins nursery is a pale golden yellow with the French vintage furniture and soft accents. When they go to separate rooms we’re thinking an [name]Olive[/name] green or lavender for [name]Iris[/name]’ room and a deep grey blue for Olivers room.

My names:

Well my kids are [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]

GIRLS
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

BOYS
[name]Cillian[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Etienne[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Emile[/name]

After all that - not sure whether they match or not?!

I know what you mean. I’m a minimalist in just about everything. I’m a Graphic designer. Everything is clean and mostly neutral colors with me. I’m also a mega anglophile (meaning I love EVERYTHING British!) I love film and music and names that evoke powerful imagery. But not too much. Three of my chosen names:

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Beck[/name]
[name]Ashton[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] Neue

I also like [name]Atticus[/name] [name]York[/name]. It’s got quite a a scottish moor feel to it. It’s quite structured, yeah?

“Neue” isn’t a real name, I’m pretty sure. It means “new one” in [name]German[/name], and it also comes from my favorite font of all time. Yes, I’d be naming a daughter after a font. That’s how much I love design. Plus, if [name]Brad[/name] and [name]Angie[/name] can use a middle name that means “New” then why can’t I? Plus, Neue is the ONLY thing I really like paired with [name]Violet[/name].

Awesome question! I’m pretty eclectic and my style in names is too.

With clothes I tend to dress my mood. Its all about how I’m feeling on a certain day. I like a lot of classic clothes (tons in black and white), really girly cothes in pinks and lace, but I also sometimes like to just throw a baseball cap on my head and a tee shirt with jeans and some days my style is definately in the punk zone.

As far as hobbies go, I love dance (esp ballet) and theatre. But I also love hiking, camping, and horseback riding.

With names I guess I’m kind of the same way. I want my girl names to dress up and dress down. Seem girly and feminine but be also quirky and fun (or with a nickname that is). [name]Joshua[/name] calls my boy names geek-chic (he and I can never agree on boy names).

today’s top ten

Feminine Quirky Girls: [name]Zaria[/name] [name]Ayla[/name] [name]Carys[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Sela[/name] [name]Sorcha[/name] [name]Viveka[/name] [name]Enya[/name] [name]Saskia[/name] Sunniva

Geek-Chic Boys: [name]Silas[/name] [name]Titus[/name] [name]Graham[/name] [name]Rafe[/name] [name]Soren[/name] [name]Ezekiel[/name] [name]Griffin[/name] [name]Lucian[/name] [name]Conrad[/name] [name]Vincent[/name]

I don’t really have a style as such - I just wear whatever I feel like on the day, but my wardrobe mainly consists of vintage dresses, skirts and blouses, simple classics, and a few fun, trendy pieces. And then there’s some downright weird stuff, but I’ll pair it with really simple clothes to offset the weirdness. My favourite names are
GIRLS:
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]/[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]

BOYS
[name]Jonathan[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Damian[/name]
[name]Alasdair[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Anton[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]William[/name]

So I’d say my name taste is partly correlated to my style.