Favorite names rhyme too much with surname?

Hello! I have a quick question for all of you lovely Berries. My SO and I are thinking about having kids in the near future (!!!) and we’ve started talking about names. I like the way most of the names on our list flow with my SO’s surname (Cornish), but a few of my favorites sound strange to my ear (for example, [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]). The endings sound too sing-songy when paired with my SO’s last name, at least to me right now. Maybe I’m overthinking things, so I thought I’d ask for your opinion.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] sound okay with the surname Cornish?

I don’t think they rhyme necessarily, but they do become kind of tongue twistery when said with your last name. My problem is that my tongue wants to replace the last S in the names with the SH noise from Cornish, so it comes out like Irish Cornish and Jonash Cornish. Maybe that’s just me though.

I don’t think it’s a be all end all deal breaker, but I would definitely test the waters with these names to see how people say them out loud naturally if you’re still seriously considering these names once you’re expecting.

I’m more okay with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] than [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]… [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] Cornish is nice when written but certainly doesn’t roll off the tongue.

I agree with Vestigeofsummer-- if I was looking at the first name and last name together, I would probably pronounce [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] with an sh sound on the end. Maybe you could use them as middle names because not many people say the whole name together.

I can’t use a bunch of names starting with E, because they sound too matchy with our last name, which sounds like Espinoza.

Yeah, they do come out a little awkward. [name_m]How[/name_m] about replacing [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] with [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]? [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] Cornish is lovely. Harder to find an exact replacement for [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] Cornish is nice!

I’ve known girls named [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] T@bor and [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] McC@be. Neither had issues with their names, both of which I thought were entirely too rhyme-y with their surnames. So, I think both [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] work just fine. Are they ideal? No. [name_f]Do[/name_f] they work? Yes.

Thanks for all of the replies! I think we’re leaning away from [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] (though it will be hard to part with [name_f]Iris[/name_f]). However, just last night, we were talking about [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and my SO said something about when names appear on lists, they’re often ordered with the surname first. So, it would look like Cornish, [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. Does that remind everyone of Cornish hens too much? Argh, why are all of my favorites so strange with this surname?!?!

I didn’t think of Cornish hen until you mentioned it.

I agree that [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] are not ideal, but would be far from detrimental. I love both names, and both appear as middles on my own list ([name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Abner[/name_m] [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]), so I know how hard they are to part with. I do like the earlier suggestions of [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] though. I also like [name_f]Isla[/name_f] as an [name_f]Iris[/name_f] replacement.

As far as [name_m]Henry[/name_m] Cornish and the cornish hen association goes, I think you’re overthinking it. I don’t really think that would become an issue at all, and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is lovely!