Favorite "non-Nameberry" names?

[name]Adalyn[/name], which does get its share of negative responses, [name]Elliott[/name] for a girl, [name]Haven[/name] because it’s celebri-baby, and [name]Jackson[/name] because it’s popular,

[name]Adalyn[/name], which does get its share of negative responses, [name]Elliott[/name] for a girl, [name]Haven[/name] because it’s celebri-baby, and [name]Jackson[/name] because it’s popular.

I actually really like the name [name]Bertram[/name]! From your others it’s true there are some I dislike, but some are simply more European than what’s generally used in my area. They are fine names and I would like them in the right context.

I like Ender and [name]Huxley[/name] a lot. Also [name]Nova[/name] and Alaska and [name]Lyric[/name]. I’ve never heard [name]Zen[/name] as a name, but I love Zeal

I totally agree with your description of the NB style, lol. I actually like the name [name]Susan[/name]. I wouldn’t use it myself, but it reminds me of Chronicles of [name]Narnia[/name].

I think the thing that’s surprised me the most apart from the commitment to some decidedly unique names is how freaking crazy people are in how strongly they express their opinion. It’s one thing to say “I hate that name” that’s completely your prerogative and a totally valid opinion. [name]Even[/name] something like “Wow, in my area that would be seen as a masculine name. Where are you located? Does that bother you?” even that to me is a fair assessment. And again even the strong encouragement against really crazy spellings I can understand, but when people say things like, “You will be scarring your kid for life if you dare to use that name as their middle name. I can’t believe you’re even considering spelling/pronouncing/using that name in that way. I will now proceed to write 5 posts talking about how crazy and stupid you are for even thinking to do something that so goes against my opinion.” !!! lol

It’s just soooo intense! I wanna say, go make some tea and have a bath and the world will be a happier place.

As for no-no names. I was chewed out to the fences for saying I liked [name]Noel[/name] for a girl. I’ve known 2 girls who used the spelling and never even realized the male name (mole style) was used. I still like [name]Noel[/name], but I’ve started spelling it [name]Noelle[/name] on NB just to avoid the screaming.

There are a few stranger ones that I like: Quinalyn, [name]Rigel[/name], [name]Thessaly[/name], Caspia, [name]Meribel[/name]; that don’t get good reactions most of the time. But opinions are always very mixed on the less normal names.

I definitely do NOT love [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], or [name]Hazel[/name]. [name]Nor[/name] do I like [name]Olive[/name], [name]Winnie[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name]. I find them horrible beyond words. And there - I said it too.

However, I now can be on the receiving end of the “ughs” and “how can you like that?” when I reveal that I love the following names:
[name]Heather[/name]
[name]Jenny[/name]
[name]Susan[/name]
[name]Betsy[/name]
[name]Megan[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]

All seemed to be plucked right out of the seventies or eighties but I find them so lovely.

I also love [name]Joanna[/name], [name]Jacqueline[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name]. More “dated” names. Can’t help it. They are timeless to me.

@saramee, I admit I love [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], and [name]Hazel[/name]. Not the others, though. However, I equally like: [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Amy[/name]. I can’t figure out how to use [name]Jenny[/name], as I love it, but not [name]Jennifer[/name].

[name]Jacqueline[/name] is lovely, I don’t love [name]Rachel[/name] but I love [name]Raquel[/name]. I have never seen [name]Raquel[/name] get approval on nameberry, I actually don’t know that I’ve seen it at all.

@saramee, I love [name]Jenny[/name] too! My only problem with it is that I find the nickname [name]Jen[/name] so boring, and I know that’s what she’d end up getting called. :confused: It’s unfortunate, because [name]Jenny[/name] is so cute.

Also, the name [name]Amy[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] has been on my list for a long time. I love eighties names!

I love [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Susan[/name] which have already been mentioned. [name]Jackson[/name] is a family name, but there’s such a large number of boys in my area named [name]Jackson[/name] that it makes me want to scream. Not to mention I have three cousins with [name]Jackson[/name] in their name, all after our great-grandfather. [name]Susan[/name] appeals to me because it’s simple. [name]Susannah[/name], Shoshanna, etc are too elaborate for me. I just like [name]Susan[/name].

I dare not mention on Nameberry that I’ve perused lists of obscure surnames looking for new inspiration. I also dare not mention that I love some of my family surnames as first names… for a girl! I just so happen to adore nicknames as given names too, which is a major Nameberry no-no.

I must admit I regret some of the things I said.

It’s one of those odd things that you don’t really know about yourself until you find yourself in the middle of it. At least in my case. The reason why I think it gets so heated has to do with the fact that it ties into ones philosophy on child raising. So it quickly turns into a political party style battle.

Most of those boys names many would say I can’t use because I’m an American mutt. I have some slightly less out there names for boys, but girls names grab me more.

Dated female names I like include:
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Barbara[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name] - I haven’t looked through Nameberry’s archives, but on most forums it’s apparently the equivalent to naming your daughter [name]Hortense[/name].

Some dated male names I like:
[name]George[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Herbert[/name]

As much criticism Nameberry’s getting, I’ve been on some forums that are more strict regarding what names are acceptable. They really chew into when you suggest a name they don’t like for a child. Nameberry actually has the reputation of being fairly liberal. Most would think I was smoking something with [name]Amaryllis[/name] and Virelai.

A name that I really haven’t seen mentioned that I like is [name]Fredrick[/name].

my name actually gets alot of “dont like, too outdated, overused, trashy” comments about it whenever i ask but i didnt think that [name]Tarra[/name] was actually that bad. also i really like [name]Cohen[/name] but that gets heaps of “its disrespectful, hate it, never use it” sort of stuff. my list that gets “hate”
[name]Avabelle[/name] - "too mushed up and cutesy
[name]Peyton[/name] - “hate, overused”
[name]Elizabelle[/name] - “mushed up, made up”
[name]Analaya[/name] - “made up, stupid, hate”
[name]Jai[/name] - “not finished, dumb”

I love [name]Huxley[/name]! [name]Sonnet[/name] is a guilty pleasure for me.

I have an irrational hatred for [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Gwendolyn[/name]. [name]Vivienne[/name] and [name]Wren[/name] don’t do a lot for me. [name]Love[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name] and like [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] though.

[name]Harper[/name], [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Piper[/name], and [name]Arden[/name] for girls. [name]Finley[/name] for either. Speaking of dated names, I have a thing for [name]Joan[/name], but I’m not sure whether it’s liked on Nameberry or not because I’ve never asked about it. I’m not sure [name]Leonard[/name] would get a lot of love either, lol.

I love [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], and [name]Wren[/name]. But I really, really don’t get the appeal of [name]Penelope[/name]. I have nothing against [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name], but I wouldn’t use it either…except maybe to get to the nickname [name]Trixie[/name] haha.

My guilty pleasure/nameberry hated names are-

Girls
[name]Brielle[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Shae[/name]
[name]Hallie[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Auburn[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]
[name]True[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Yvaine[/name]
and the ever popular [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Grace[/name]

Boys-
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
and [name]Salinger[/name]

I’m glad for this thread so I can mention [name]Helga[/name].
My godmother was named [name]Helga[/name] and she was an incredible woman. [name]Born[/name] in 1908 in Finland, she was so smart, so kind, and always headstrong and independent even in her eighties. So of course this name has many positive connotations for me and I’d love to use it as an mn for my daughter. The name page for [name]Helga[/name] on nameberry simply says “flat footed and broad bottomed.” Ouch! And the forum results mainly come up with threads about names people would never use. It seems this one is a bridge too far even for berries. And my husband is not comfortable with it either. Perhaps I’ll post a separate thread seeking alternatives to [name]Helga[/name], if f turns out this baby is a girl (due in feb).

Great list! I especially love [name]Emil[/name], [name]Benoit[/name] and [name]Ivo[/name]!

My beloved late grandmother’s name was [name]Ethel[/name]. I’m expecting a girl with a due date of [name]October[/name] 3rd, and I desperately want to honor my grandma, but I just can’t bring myself to use the name [name]Ethel[/name]. I have a name picked out that has the same meaning as “[name]Ethel[/name]”, but a part of me just wishes I could honor her directly with her actual name!

Mine is probably something like [name]Fable[/name] or [name]Story[/name] (both names I love), or [name]Harper[/name] & [name]Scout[/name].
I also love both [name]Etienne[/name] and [name]Emil[/name].

I met a [name]Zen[/name] a few days ago, he works at an office supply store. He must’ve been very proud of his name, he had a very large belt buckle with “Z” proudly engraved on it.

[name]Sonnet[/name] & [name]Zelda[/name] are on my lists, I like them quite a bit!

I had a hamster as a teen that I named Jezabelle, because I knew I couldn’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t use it on a human. Jezabelle [name]Deva[/name]!

For me, there’s a few names that Berries dislike.

[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Jayne[/name]* family name - most people prefer [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name] too Twilight for most
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] - love the two pronounciations of this. Most people think it’s [name]Georgina[/name]

[name]Betram[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]

Names are much more usable in person than hypothetical thinking. When I went to my grandmother’s funeral earlier this year, I stayed with some relatives. All of their children are around my age except for one who is 18. [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], (drawing a blank on the guy’s name), and [name]Martha[/name]. [name]Martha[/name] is a gorgeous blonde with straight As, has scholarships lined up, is heavily involved in learning another language, and plays clarinet for the school’s well respected band (they travel).

I’m sure her parents got a lot of strange looks and whispers when they named their daughter 18 years ago. Her name certainly hasn’t hindered her.

I rather like [name]Helga[/name] and seeing [name]Ethel[/name] on a little girl would be pretty cool.