Favorite Quotes about Names

What are your favorite quotes about names? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have some poetic ones, funny ones, thought-provoking ones? Please share!

Here are some of mine:

We wish our names eternally to live;
[name_m]Wild[/name_m] dream! which ne’er had haunted human thought,
Had not our natures been eternal too.

– [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Young[/name_m], from [name_m]Night[/name_m] Thoughts

Everyone I know with an unusual name loves it. It’s only the losers named [name_m]Dave[/name_m] that think having an unusual name is bad, and who cares what they think. They’re named [name_m]Dave[/name_m]. – [name_m]Penn[/name_m] [name_f]Jillette[/name_f], on naming his daughter “[name_f]Moxie[/name_f].”

A girl’s name ending in ‘a’ – that always suggests a ‘C’ cup. – the character [name_m]Jubal[/name_m] Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange [name_m]Land[/name_m], by [name_m]Robert[/name_m] A. Heinlein.

To name oneself is the first act of both the poet and the revolutionary. – [name_f]Erica[/name_f] Jong

My favourites:

'What’s your name," [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] asked the cat. ‘Look, I’m [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]. Okay?’
‘Cats don’t have names,’ it said.
‘No?’ said [name_f]Coraline[/name_f].
‘No,’ said the cat. ‘Now you people have names. That’s because you don’t know who you are. We know who we are, so we don’t need names.’
- [name_u]Neil[/name_u] Gaiman, [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]

“Names are still magic; even [name_f]Sharon[/name_f], [name_f]Karen[/name_f], [name_u]Darren[/name_u] and [name_m]Warren[/name_m] are magic to somebody somewhere. In the fairy stories, naming is knowledge. When i know your name, I can call your name, and when I call your name, you’ll come to me.” - [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f] Winterson, Lighthousekeeping

A great idea for a post, [name_f]Nephele[/name_f]! Here are are few quotes I love.

From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors.

• A Proverb

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.

• The Bible

Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive. ~[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] C. Haliburton

The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name.

• [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]

Words have meaning and names have power.

• [name_m]Author[/name_m] Unknown

The only one i have, that made me cackle like mad when i heard it, is not uplifting or thoughtful, so i apologize.

“Why name your daughter [name_f]Megan[/name_f]?? Are you stocking up for a bitch shortage?” -[name_f]Shirley[/name_f], from the TV show Community