Favorite "Unusable" Baby Names?

Admittedly, most of my favorite names are a bit outrageous. However, some of them are just not usable :frowning: What are your faves that you’d like to use… but won’t?

Mine are:

[name_m]Judas[/name_m] (looove love love)
[name_m]Lucius[/name_m]
[name_m]Severus[/name_m]
[name_u]Neptune[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerwig[/name_m]
[name_m]Kirk[/name_m]
[name_m]Stonn[/name_m]
[name_m]Thranduil[/name_m]
[name_u]Lothlorien[/name_u]
[name_f]Andoria[/name_f]
[name_m]Romulus[/name_m]
[name_f]Peaches[/name_f]
[name_u]Azrael[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_u]Blitz[/name_u]
[name_m]Berlin[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f]
[name_f]Prism[/name_f]
[name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f]

[name_f]EDIT[/name_f]: [name_m]Just[/name_m] realized this has been done! Credit to original poster, sorry for the repeat!

[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]

[name_f]Julia[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_u]Jamie[/name_u]

[name_f]Asteria[/name_f], [name_f]Valeska[/name_f], Illyria, Nomiki, [name_f]Suki[/name_f], Valkyrie.
Azula, [name_f]Ayla[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Indira[/name_f].
[name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_m]Elio[/name_m].

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f],[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f],
[name_m]Leo[/name_m],[name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m],[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
That is all I can think of for now.

[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Moses[/name_m]
[name_m]Israel[/name_m]

[name_f]Ireland[/name_f]
[name_f]Bedelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zipporah[/name_f]
[name_f]Ashirah[/name_f]
Nalla

They have to be pretty far out for me to call them unusable.

Israelle is the only one that comes to mind. And maybe Samwise! Prism is a good one!

[name_f]Isis[/name_f],

I always loved that name…
But for now I have too let it go…

I actually have a list

Other than [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m], I can’t really think of any other baby names I like that I would struggle to make usable.

Some obscure/clunky Biblical names…

[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]
[name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Zebulon[/name_m]
[name_m]Zephaniah[/name_m]

[name_f]Mehetabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Hephzibah[/name_f]

Mostly names already in use by well-known characters. (I’m answering this from the perspective of a writer, not in regards to naming real people.)

[name_f]Desdemona[/name_f] immediately comes to mind for me. I have a lot of love I can’t explain for this one.

[name_m]Thorin[/name_m], not that that’s stopped me from finding a way to use it.

[name_f]Daenerys[/name_f], which I think is gorgeous but too tied up in ASoIaF/GoT, which I don’t read/watch, to use. I was able to make use of [name_f]Sansa[/name_f] because of its Sanskrit origins and the fact that I was aware of it years before I ever heard about ASoIaF/GoT, though, so there’s that.

Like [name_m]Thorin[/name_m], I’ve managed to find uses for [name_m]Oberon[/name_m], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Circe[/name_f], and [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f] as well.

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is a name I think is gorgeous but haven’t used yet.

I’ve heard people call [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] unusable, though I think it’s lovely and perfectly fine as a name, but I thought I’d throw it up here anyway.

Other names: [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (too connected to [name_m]Granger[/name_m] for me), [name_f]Amidala[/name_f] (so pretty as a LN, but too connected to [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars).

I’m sure there are others I’m missing, but these are the ones I can think of atm.

This reminds me of my favorite Biblical trio: [name_m]Shadrach[/name_m], [name_m]Meshach[/name_m], and [name_m]Abednego[/name_m]. This was back when I was 12-15, when I was still going to church; I would sit there and roll their names around in my mouth, they just flow so smoothly. I can’t imagine ever using them, but I still love saying them.

I loooove the name [name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m], but I don’t think I would ever use it. I am a [name_m]Christian[/name_m], so the religious connection doesn’t make it unusable for me. I just think it’s too out there. [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] is another name I adore, but like [name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m], I think it’s too out there. My family would look at me like I have three heads if I used either of these names. lol.

Oh! I almost forgot [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] and [name_m]Caledon[/name_m]. I love them, but I KNOW my family would butcher the pronunciations no matter how many times I corrected them.

[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] (too popular and my parents’ cat)
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] (my daughter has a [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and a Pappy…a sibling named [name_u]Piper[/name_u] would be complete insanity.)
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]/[name_f]Stella[/name_f] (clash with last name)

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] (too popular where I live)
[name_m]Levi[/name_m] (someone I know used it for her son)

Oh, dear, I love the name [name_m]Thorin[/name_m]! I think I’d have to use it in the middle though.

• Brently
  • [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]/[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
  • Aveda
  • [name_m]Kora[/name_m]
  • Avera
  • [name_m]Louie[/name_m]

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] | I think this name is gorgeous but I can’t truly imagine my daughter having it.

[name_f]Zara[/name_f] | [name_u]Love[/name_u] it. But at one point my husband worked at a [name_f]Zara[/name_f] so there’s no cutting that association.

[name_f]Blanca[/name_f] | means ‘white’. Family would definitely look at me weird if I told them I liked this as an actual name for a child. I love it so much though!

Edelweiss. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but way too weird in English. So sad!

I wish I could use (but can’t):
Arsinoë
[name_f]Medea[/name_f]/[name_f]Medeia[/name_f]
Etsy
Arachne
Cadmium

[name_m]Icarus[/name_m]
[name_m]Sherlock[/name_m]
Mordred
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]*
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]*

*[name_m]Just[/name_m] way too popular.

Oh, for me it’s [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]! I’d go for it in a second if it didn’t have the controversial bible character behind it.