Favorites #2: Guinevere

Trying to gain fresh perspective on my old favorites. You can talk about whatever aspect of the name you are most interested, meaning, personal opinions, associations, your favorite combos, siblings, whatever!

So, what do you think of [name]Guinevere[/name]?

-------------------------------- history for those interested------------------------------------

“From the [name]Norman[/name] French form of the Welsh name Gwenhwyfar, composed of the elements gwen meaning “fair, white” and hwyfar meaning “smooth”. In Arthurian legend she was the beautiful wife of [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] who engaged in an adulterous affair with Sir [name]Lancelot[/name]. According to [name]Geoffrey[/name] of Monmouth, she was
seduced by Mordred before the battle of Camlann, which led to the deaths of both Mordred and [name]Arthur[/name].
The Cornish form of this name, [name]Jennifer[/name], has become popular in the English-speaking world.”

[name]Guinevere[/name] has never been in the US top 1,000.

Past Favorite Threads:
Cordelia - Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name]. Absolutely adore it :slight_smile: It’s my favourite name and I’m so happy to see it finally getting some attention. The combo I have at the moment is [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. [name]Both[/name] middles have family significance and two middle names are sort of a tradition in my family, but I kept them short and classic as it’s a weighty first name. I have the hardest time finding good sibling names for [name]Guinevere[/name] as it’s such a powerful, striking name. I think [name]Persephone[/name] and [name]Arianwen[/name] work especially well. You might find dantea’s thread looking for a name to go with [name]Guinevere[/name], [name]Persephone[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] interesting.

[name]One[/name] of the things I love most about the name is the number of different nn possibilites it has. A girl called [name]Guinevere[/name] could be [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Ginny[/name], [name]Evie[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Nev[/name] etc. I generally prefer names that give the bearer options.

I know for a lot of people [name]Guinevere[/name] is too redolent of an adultress but there are versions of the myth in which she isn’t nearly as guilty. Also, with names such as [name]Delilah[/name] and [name]Lilith[/name] being used more frequently nowadays, I don’t see why [name]Guinevere[/name] should be off-limits.

[name]Just[/name] thought I’d give you the link to the thread I mentioned :slight_smile:

I like [name]Guinevere[/name] and it’s certainly better than [name]Jennifer[/name] imho, but I prefer [name]Genevieve[/name] due to the nns one can make from it. I know it’s not the exact same name, but it’s pretty close.

Obviously I love it if I’m using it! I think it’s gorgeous and the meaning and history and mythology are all wonderful! The nicknames are great, and I think lots of different names go with it for sibling :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Guinevere[/name]! It sounds very regal to me. I also love [name]Genevieve[/name] from the comment above.

I think it’s pretty and it has lots of great nicknames. I do think it’s a bit too tied to the legend…and while I love the numerous tellings and versions, the truth is that a lot of people just see her as the woman who cheated on [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] and destroyed the ideal kingdom. Could be a bit much to carry. I prefer [name]Genevieve[/name], but I think both are gorgeous. I also think it works well with your last name, and also with [name]Oscar[/name].

Wow, thanks guys.

Neuilly, you brought up my concerns about the name. I do sometimes feel like the connotation to most people is a negative one, but I’m just not sure if that’s enough to ‘break’ the name for me, you know? It does keep it a bit lower on my favorites list than it might otherwise be.

[name]Genevieve[/name] is pretty, but it just doesn’t have the same appeal to me. I see [name]Genevieve[/name] as sunny and sweet and fresh, where [name]Guinevere[/name] sounds a bit more romantic and ethereal. I also really like [name]Ginevra[/name], and feel that might be more wearable than [name]Guinevere[/name], even.

I absolutely adore [name]Guinevere[/name]! It’s funny how excited you are that it’s getting more love because I love it too! I would personally use the nickname Guini -even Guini the Pooh? Ha!

I love the name [name]Guinevere[/name]! It’s a name that has really grown on me. The combo [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Abby[/name] is absolutely perfect in my opinion. I think that if the new Spiderman movie might make the nickname [name]Gwen[/name] go up in popularity.

As for [name]Genevieve[/name], lately only the french pronunciation is appealing to me and it would be difficult to have Americans say it that way. :frowning: