Feedback on a middle name for Caro please!

First off: this is completely hypothetical, so thanks for humouring me! :wink:

A bit of backstory…

[name_u]Hero[/name_u] has been a huuuuge favourite of mine for a long time, but I have hesitations over its versatility. It’s a big name to wear and it also tends to be rather “Marmite” (non Brits, read “love or hate”) – it’s a name that tends to elicit strong reactions both ways.

On top of this, I know that outside of Nameberry, not everyone will know it’s a mythological or Shakespearean name and it sounds more like a modern, aspirational word name. I can see how it might feel like too much to carry for this reason.

Onto the question at hand…

I’ve been crushing on [name_u]Caro[/name_u] for a while now. I think it has a lot of what attracts me to [name_u]Hero[/name_u] – short, sleek, energetic, with that fun O ending I love – without the potential drawbacks. It feels just as unexpected and quirky, but perhaps in a quieter, less “look at me!” way. It also works better in [name_u]French[/name_u], and we have [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking family.

Here’s how I pronounce it (essentially like the first half of [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]) :point_down:

With all this in mind, what would you suggest as a middle name for [name_u]Caro[/name_u]?

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites so far…

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] – family name, lovely flow, a bit boring?

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] – really love this but not sure my husband will go for it

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] – really like the flow, not sure I’m in love love with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] – thank you @tallemaja, Magdalen is my alma mater so I love this idea!

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] – too much “ah” sound?

Any favourites? Any more suggestions? I prefer longer, traditional but not too common names in the middle spot (my kids’ middles are [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f], for reference).

Caro [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], while being lovely, kind of sounds like a mash of J and K’s names, I’m afraid.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is beautiful! I don’t find it boring since [name_u]Caro[/name_u] is an unusual name.
I don’t think [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] is too much.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is pretty!
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is probably my favourite of all (:heart_eyes:), but if you don’t love [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] that much it might not be the one.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is stunning, would your friend be okay with it? Normally I’d say go for it (especially since it’s a middle), but [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is an uncommon one so I’m not sure.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] has too much [name_f]Ro[/name_f] sounds, unfortunately.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is lovely! :heart: [name_f]My[/name_f] second favourite (but a very close second).

[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is the best of the bunch in my opinion! I love [name_u]Caro[/name_u], I think it has a very cool but also sweet sound. I’d pronounce it the way you do.
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Thomasina[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Clemency[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Celestine[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Fionnuala[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

@ethelmary

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! You’ve put many of my thoughts into words :blush:

I wouldn’t use [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], much as I love it. It’s definitely too close to K’s middle at least.

Caro [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is so pretty, but I know so many people with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] in the middle (me included!) and I do prefer slightly less expected names. But I just checked, and there have never been more than 2 babies per year named “just” [name_u]Caro[/name_u] in the UK since 1996 records began, so it’s definitely an unusual enough first to balance out a more common middle.

Yay for [name_u]Endellion[/name_u]! You know I’m always trying to sneak that in there :wink:

Caro [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is gorgeous. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is one of those underused classic names I love seeing used, maybe I should give it more thought… If DH won’t go for my beloved [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] seems like a great, less “out there” alternative.

The friend used [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] as an honour name, so I’d definitely prefer not to double up. It’s such a sweet name though.

I fear you’re right on the “ro” sounds in [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]. They’re both pronounced exactly the same way in my accent, too.

Glad that you like [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], and @tallemaja too! It’s my go-to middle for [name_u]Hero[/name_u], and I really like that it’s so familiar and classic but so underused. I know it’s a long-time favourite of MIL, too.

Loving the suggestions of [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Celestine[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] (:heart_eyes:) and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] especially!

1 Like

oooh, [name_u]Caro[/name_u] is lovely! I like [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] from your list, and [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

I would suggest;

Caro [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] (too much hard C?)
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] Laurencia
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]

Thank you @leafsgirl44!

I’m so happy to see Caro Susannah so popular :blush: Susannah is such a wonderful, cheerful, underused classic, and would definitely be my choice to go with Hero. I wasn’t sure about the flow with Caro but thrilled to hear you all think it works.

Caro Lavender, Caro Henrietta, Caro Philippa, Caro Beatrix and Caro Tabitha are right up my alley!

1 Like

I like [name_u]Caro[/name_u] a lot! It’s so charming. And [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is lovely! I love the softer sounds [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] brings to the combo, nicely balancing the bold, strong sounds of [name_u]Caro[/name_u]. I love them together!

1 Like

Thank you for that wonderful description of [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. I think it’s love :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Sounds regal and well balanced.

1 Like

Caro [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is beautiful! I think it has the best flow too, all the others just sound a little off for some reason? But you’re not in love with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], so instead maybe:

Caro [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] / [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_u]Florentine[/name_u]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lovella[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Sabina[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Vienna[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Demelza[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Josefina[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] / [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]

@tfzolghadr

I hadn’t heard of that connection, but it’s quite sweet actually. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren.

Caro [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Maxima[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] (how did I forget [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]?), [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] are all wonderful, thank you!

@Gia.berry

Caro [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is so chic, I love it. Also loving [name_u]Caro[/name_u] with [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], [name_f]Demelza[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]. And [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]! I’ve been crushing on it since hearing about [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] Grint’s new daughter, although I probably wouldn’t use it for that reason…

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I was hesitant about [name_u]Caro[/name_u] at first because it’s the first half of my middle name so I felt incomplete. But I’ve grown to love it! [name_u]Arrow[/name_u] is one of my favorites but this feels more name-y.

Caro [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is so lovely! The only “ah” sound I hear is in [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] so it flows perfectly. I also love [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]! Bonus points for it being your alma mater.

1 Like

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Opinions were split when I first asked about it (back in [name_f]May[/name_f] last year, wow!) but I really feel it fits our general vibe of short, strong, quirky but not too obviously “out there” names. I worry that [name_u]Hero[/name_u] tips too far towards the “out there” side of our tastes, even though it’s actually more popular.

1 Like

Echoing above posters that [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] and [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] are my favorite combinations for you! Both are lovely. Though I think [name_u]Caro[/name_u] would be too close to J’s name for me, personally.

How do you pronounce [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the college is not pronounced intuitively. But with the hard G she’s one of my favorite underused gems.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Caro[/name_u] (and [name_u]Hero[/name_u]). I really think [name_u]Hero[/name_u] is a lovely, fun, spunky name and it fits so nicely with J. K. and A… But I understand the concern about the name.

I agree [name_u]Caro[/name_u] has the same qualities as [name_u]Hero[/name_u] without the meaning problem.

Looking at your kids middles, all of them have a “L” in them, that’s why I think [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] would be my top choices.

If you are not sure about [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] because it’s too common, what about:

• Caro [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f] (I think this one is specially cute)
  • Caro [name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]

At least, how I pronounce [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f], the “g” is a bit harsh and the flow of [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] isn’t the beast, but [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] reminds me of:

• Caro [name_f]Magali[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Alena[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Madelief[/name_f] (I wasn’t a fan of [name_f]Madelief[/name_f], but I think the -lief makes the whole name smoother, as [name_u]Caro[/name_u] with the hard C sound and the R is stronger.

More suggestions

• Caro [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] (again, and “l” in the middle and the lovely “ia”. [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is as beautiful as [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m], isn’t it?)
  • Caro [name_f]Amalie[/name_f] (I saw this name in a berry’s UC and I think it’s lovely and a bit more unexpected than [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] or [name_f]Amelia[/name_f])
  • Caro [name_f]Adalia[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_u]Camille[/name_u] (It slightly reminds me of [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], but without being too similar to K’s name)
  • Caro [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Winona[/name_f] (is not like I was thinking about certain instagram family…)
  • Caro [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] (yep, I just stole this name hahahahaha)
  • Caro [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Elinor[/name_f]
  • Caro [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]

It’s so odd to see my nickname as a full name but it’s also very nice!

I really like the flow of [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] that someone else suggested.

1 Like

I definitely have been against using a second O-ending name so far, but if we ever did have a #4 there would be several siblings and many years between them, so I’ve made my peace with it. The rest of the names are different enough for me to feel OK about it.

The college is pronounced MAUD-lin. However, if I were to use it as a name, I would go for the more intuitive MAG-dah-len pronunciation, for ease and just because it sounds prettier and more “namey” to me.

@UnderTheRainbow

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Madelief[/name_f]! I think I suggested [name_f]Madelief[/name_f] to my husband once before and he just went :face_with_raised_eyebrow: but I will try it again! [name_f]Apolline[/name_f], [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] are also really pretty with [name_u]Caro[/name_u].

Haha, sorry! I think we have a couple of [name_u]Caro[/name_u]/Karo Berries around, actually. I am in awe of your beautiful names! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Caro is sparky and bright, kind of [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] meets [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] meets [name_f]Juno[/name_f]! It has a classic yet fresh vibe, literary though I can’t quite place where from

Caro Magadeln feels meaningful and strong

Caro [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is sparky and bright

Some ideas

Caro [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Simona[/name_f]/Simone
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Sienna[/name_f]

1 Like

This is how I feel about these two as well :yellow_heart:

I really like [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] (is it a bit close to my name though?), [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and especially [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]!

Caro is such a beautiful name! [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] feels so…you! Especially as you said you love [name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]! Why do I think of [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Dulcinea[/name_f] for you? It might be a little much and a tiny bit pretentious but I think it works with your kids’ names nicely! I also think of [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Evalina[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Giovanna[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_u]Caro[/name_u] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and what about [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]?

1 Like