Feedback on Grey Penelope for a girl - I just can't let go

We love the name [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

I’ve posted on other forums a lot of people suggested flipping it to [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] but I’m not ready to let go of [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as the first name and my husband is not keen on this option.

I was pretty horrified at the feedback I received (not complaining at all - I asked for internet feedback because I want honest reactions) including that it’s drab, that it’s a “teen mom” name and that it’s barely fine for a boy and generally awful for a girl.

I don’t want to put the weight of a name that evokes these kind of negative thoughts on my daughter.

My husband and I love this name for the sound, single-syllable and for love of the colour.

What do you all think?

Personally, if I knew for certain a name would get a very negative reaction I would not use it (even if I loved it).

Having said that, you and your husband have to make the decision that sits best with you.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have other strong contenders for a name? You may also choose to wait until bubs arrives and then see if the name suits her.

Good luck!

I don’t like [name_u]Grey[/name_u] in general as a name.
The colour can be really drab (‘grey day’ usually means rubbish weather or a low emotional mood), I don’t think it’s got an amazing sound to it etc. Also since it’s such a common middle for boys/nickname for [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], I don’t love it on a girl.
I’d be more inclined to go with [name_u]Rey[/name_u].

All that being said, if [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is the name you can’t let go of then it’s certainly usable. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because people don’t really like it doesn’t mean you can’t love it. I don’t think it has any huge bad associations except potentially the weather or being a bit boring, but I’m sure your child (any child) will have enough personality for people not to think ‘oh, grey is boring’!

I don’t love [name_m]Miles[/name_m] and [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as a sibset, but eh, they won’t have their names said together forever.

I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] makes a fine name, and [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] makes for a nice combo. [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is not far of the classic [name_f]Grace[/name_f]

Looking at your signature, can I just say that [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] would be just fantastic! [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] is not a name one sees much on favourites list, so it’s such a breath of fresh air to see it on yours.

I like [name_u]Grey[/name_u] for a boy, but not for a girl. I do think you would get a fair bit of backlash if you used it.
I do think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] could be a nice nickname though, while giving her a more traditional name if that’s her preference to fall back on (and friends and family could use it if they don’t like [name_u]Grey[/name_u]). [name_f]Grace[/name_f] with the nickname [name_u]Grey[/name_u] would be nice.

from a flow perspective I do think Peneope [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is the better option. If you really have your heart set on [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as a fn I agree with the others who have suggested [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and calling her [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as a nn.

It’s very interesting to me to get a positive comment from a fellow Australian. I have wondered if the negative reaction is because of the [name_m]Greyson[/name_m] trend in the US.

I love [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] dearly and just as much as [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but I think I’ve concluded that the story makes it unusable for an actual child.

[name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is gorgeous!!! If I were you I wouldn’t change it for the world. People will always have negative reactions about one thing or another but when you introduce your daughter to friends and family they will all say they love it and how much it suits her, etc. I know it’s not easy- my family have openly stated they they hate almost every name I’ve said I like for possible future children- but at the end of the day the decision is yours and your husbands, no-one else’s.

I can’t help but love the name [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], it’s so sweet with a gentle, delicate southern charm whilst still being modern and stylish. I hope you do end up using it :blush::blush:

(Extra: one of my favourite gp names is [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Emelia[/name_f])

I’m not a fan. I despise [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as a first name, but that’s just a personal preference thing. I would say the flow is off too, imo.

However it sounds like you’d use it anyway regardless of feedback?

[name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is quite pretty. I like it actually

It really sounds like [name_u]Grey[/name_u] feels right to you and your husband. If that’s the case, I think you should use it. It’s not offensive or ugly or objectionable in any concrete way. If you’re worried that she might not like her name, one question I’d ask is whether you would be happy with her using her middle name, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], in the future.

[name_u]Grey[/name_u] is just not a name that invokes happiness to me–especially on a girl.
I think you have plenty of time to come up with something more uplifting.

I like it; I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is absolutely lovely! Names evoking the colors of blue and purple are quite popular right now, and I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] fits right in. I can totally see [name_u]Grey[/name_u] on a baby, a little girl, a teenager, and a grown woman.

It is a striking name, and those will often be polarizing - if not here on Nameberry, then out in the world. However, striking, unusual, polarizing names are becoming much more the norm. If you and your husband love the name, and it’s not objectively offensive or problematic, then I don’t think you need to put much stock in the taste of other people. They can name their own children. You get to name yours.

I say go for it! [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is lovely imo.

I think it’s usable and that some of the feedback has been a bit harsh. It’s one thing to say “it’s not for me” and a little more intense to say “hey that name you love? It’s the worst!” I would check those folks’ signatures—is their naming style even compatible with yours anyway? Perhaps it’s just that your preferred names are being pulled from dissimilar groups and their opinions aren’t the ones you really want.
[name_u]Grey[/name_u] isn’t for me, but as someone named [name_u]Jean[/name_u] I have often wished it was my middle name :slight_smile: I like that it evokes something a little different. Where someone sees drab, I see calm and rational. [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a calm pond in [name_f]England[/name_f]. [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a [name_m]Portland[/name_m] day, a little quirky and maybe not bright and sunny but all the more beautiful for it. She might grow up to be a mediator or a judge or an airline pilot or maybe even a veterinarian.
It is hard going into naming a person a name that you love that you know everyone won’t love, but remember that your daughter wears the name, the name doesn’t wear her. So if she is lovely and kind, spunky and full of personality, people who love her will love her name as a result.

1 Like

I definitely don’t get “teen mom” vibes from the name [name_u]Grey[/name_u]; I actually think it sounds nice. However, something about [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] sounds off to me, as if the name is “[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] who is the color grey.” I’m really not sure what middle name would work with fn [name_u]Grey[/name_u]…

I’m honestly shocked at the negative feedback you’ve gotten. I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] fits right in with the color/surname/[name_m]Grayson[/name_m]-[name_m]Greyson[/name_m] trends. Maybe I’m an outlier, but [name_u]Grey[/name_u] to me is refined and understated, English tea. I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] could sound a bit like a description, but you could run into that with any color/adjective name. I wouldn’t use it myself, but I would be pleasantly intrigued if I met a girl named [name_u]Grey[/name_u]. If she hates it when she’s older (I don’t think that’s likely) then Penelope is a lovely name for her to use instead. I do like Penelope Grey, but I don’t think Grey Penelope is bad at all.

Also, there will always be someone who is going to criticize or reject your choice. People might talk about it after she’s born, but most likely not to your face. You have every right to tell someone who negatively critiques her name to your face that they are being incredibly rude, and that you weren’t asking for their opinion. I’ve never heard a person’s name choice NOT be disliked by at least one person, so you really should use what you love. As someone else said, it’s not a name that is morally reprehensible nor culturally insensitive, it’s just not a lot of people’s cup of tea, so to speak.

She and you will ALWAYS be asked if her “real” name is [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. She just might prefer to be called [name_f]Grace[/name_f] as she is older versus correcting everone. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] sound beautiful and flows quite nicely. You can then dub her [name_u]Grey[/name_u], and let her choose whatever she wishes.

It would never, ever occur to me that a girl introduced as [name_u]Grey[/name_u] was in fact named [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. A girl called [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]? Yeah, I’d wonder, but [name_u]Grey[/name_u]? No.

I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a beautiful first name. It’s not even my personal style but I can still appreciate it. The color is also my favorite neutral so to it’s me it’s a positive name and as another poster said it evokes a feeling of calm not drab. But honestly I wouldn’t even worry too much about the color association-- there are boys named [name_u]Red[/name_u], girls named [name_u]Blue[/name_u]… really anything is fair game. [name_u]Gray[/name_u] just has the same gentle feeling to me as [name_u]Rae[/name_u], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and [name_f]Faye[/name_f]. I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is great and you shouldn’t let other people’s opinions deter you from a name you love. There’s always initial shock to a unique name but if you love it that’s what’s important. And I would personally never think someone whose name is [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is short for [name_f]Grace[/name_f] either.