Feedback on Grey Penelope for a girl - I just can't let go

I looooove it!

No I wouldn’t use it no matter the feedback. I was thrown by the feedback and have told my husband I’m nervous about using the name. That’s why I’m seeking more feedback…

I agree that Grey can evoke calm, gentle and steady rather than drab and that it can be tricky to discern between comments from people with different naming taste and a negative consensus.

The feedback here has been far more mixed. Thanks for all your thoughts as it’s helping a lot. We won’t make the final decision till we meet baby face to face.

Thanks everyone!

Good luck with your decision, and you deserve credit or your open-mindedness.
It’s hard to second-guess a name we truly love, and to consider valuable feedback from others (as opposed to non-asked-for, not-wanted feedback.)

I do prefer [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u], it’s gorgeous! I’m a fan of [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as a stand alone name, but I don’t think it’s awful or unusable. If you really love it I think you should use it

[name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is unexpected and interesting. I like it! [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] sounds beautiful. I watch a lot of [name_u]Grey[/name_u]'s Anatomy so for me it’s not strange at all to associate [name_u]Grey[/name_u] to a strong and intelligent girl/women.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] would be stunning, but I feel that your heart is set on [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

I think you should do it. It isn’t my personal style or that of many others and that’s okay. Lots of people I know have names that I personally dislike but that doesn’t affect how I view them. You and your husband both like the name, it sounds like a name, it doesn’t sound made up… the only problems I see are people mishearing her name as [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (an easy correction), assuming she’s a boy (an easy correction, plenty of girls have traditionally male names), and spelling it [name_u]Grey[/name_u] instead of [name_u]Gray[/name_u] could be an issue depending on where you live. But, if you are set on the [name_u]Grey[/name_u] spelling then use that!

To be honest, if I were judging it purely on a name combination, I like it. Still not as much as [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] though. The reality is that you are naming a person and I could easily say that you shouldn’t care what other people think - and in many instances you shouldn’t - but in naming a person… I think you should. It’s a name she has to carry her entire life and all these negative comments are the reality she will have to face.

I know you’re not keen on flipping the names, but I honestly think that’s your best option. You and your husband can call her [name_u]Grey[/name_u] but it gives her options.

I don’t dislike either name, but together they sound just a tad like a furniture collection, haha.

“On sale now, [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] living room set featuring three piece sectional and loveseat”

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, it’s just a neutral observation. It’s a well made combo in that unusual/unisex [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is balanced and grounded by classic and feminine [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. So if it’s the name you and your partner love, I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is worth taking a leap for.

I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is beautiful! I love the name [name_u]Grey[/name_u] on a girl, and I especially love the spelling of [name_u]Grey[/name_u] with an e over [name_u]Gray[/name_u] with an a. If you and your husband both love the name, just go for it. People are far less likely to criticize the name if the baby is already born and named.

[name_u]Grey[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is gorgeous! I really like [name_u]Grey[/name_u] for a boy, but there’s something about it on a girl that makes it seem so feisty and spunky. I also think the more feminine [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] balances [name_u]Grey[/name_u] out well. Overall, it’s a lovely combo that you clearly love and would make a great sister to [name_m]Miles[/name_m]!

I love [name_u]Gray[/name_u]! [name_u]Gray[/name_u] is my oldest daughters middle name but i would have loved to use it as a first name! If your husband isn’t a fan maybe you could name her [name_u]Grayson[/name_u]/Graceyn or [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and nickname her [name_u]Gray[/name_u]!