Feedback on my list regarding assuming age/identity

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] again, I think it’s been nearly four years since I’ve been on Nameberry and I’ve been seeing some familiar usernames so hello!

I’ve got a list and I’m hoping for feedback or advice on what age the names feel.

Specifically my problem is, my name is [name_f]Madison[/name_f] and I’m nearly 30, however based on my name people usually assume I’m much younger than that, and I’ve found it hard in “real adult” situations to be taken seriously. I’d like to avoid this for my child.

Please let me know if any of my names make you assume age. I wouldn’t mind if it’s older but I’d like to avoid names that sound like they were obviously born in 2024.

Girls:
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Pepper[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosella[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_m]Alfie[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] (loo-ee)
[name_m]Rune[/name_m]
[name_m]Orion[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - This name is kind of trendy right now and was never on the charts before 2013. So I would automatically assume that a [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is from this youngest generation, and is a child right now.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - timeless. No assumption about age at all.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] - this wasn’t really a name until sort of recently, so I would assume a [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] couldn’t be older than maybe 15.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] - [name_f]Willa[/name_f] would be about equally likely to be an old lady or a young child, but nothing in between.

[name_f]Pepper[/name_f] - [name_f]Pepper[/name_f] has always been a rare name, so I don’t think I’d assume a Pepper’s age.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - also timeless. Would not assume any age.

[name_f]Rosella[/name_f] - Based on the popularity chart, I would assume a [name_f]Rosella[/name_f] was an old lady.

[name_m]Alfie[/name_m] - I would assume [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] nn [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is an old man, but just [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is a child.

[name_m]Louis[/name_m] - timeless, would not assume any age

[name_m]Rune[/name_m] - [name_m]Rune[/name_m] has always been a rare name, so I don’t think I’d assume a Rune’s age.

[name_m]Orion[/name_m] - It’s kind of trendy right now, I would assume an [name_m]Orion[/name_m] was no older than about 25 based on the popularity chart.

[name_m]Cassian[/name_m] - [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] has never been common but is starting to become more popular - I would guess a [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] is a child, but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a different age. I think this name might get more popular in the future?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of these names on a child born today. [name_f]Rosella[/name_f] would be pretty rare, but it combines a lot of popular sounds so it doesn’t sound too out of place.

The ones that would be hardest for me to pick an exact age would be [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (could be any age) and possibly [name_m]Louis[/name_m], though I’d assume a [name_m]Louis[/name_m] to either be on the younger side or, if older, to have a [name_m]French[/name_m] background.

[name_m]Rune[/name_m] and [name_m]Orion[/name_m] definitely sound like kids born in the last few years. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] might be a little older, but definitely in the last decade or so. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] is definitely under 20.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] reads more classic to me, but chances are she’d be a child now. [name_m]Alfie[/name_m], too, and [name_m]Cassian[/name_m].

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] are either a lot older than me, or a lot younger.

[name_f]Pepper[/name_f] feels like a bit of an outlier; I couldn’t really pin it to a specific time period. For a young child I’d assume it was their full name, but if I met an adult named [name_f]Pepper[/name_f] I’d probably wonder if it was a nickname.

Overall, I think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] are your best bets for names that meet your criteria.

I will also say that, unless things change dramatically (and it would be nice if they did) you will potentially find it an advantage to be named [name_f]Madison[/name_f] as you get older. In that, people will assume you are younger than you. Older people - and women in particular - currently face a lot of discrimination based on their age in things like job applications, so having a “younger” name could work in your favour.

The only one that feels “stuck in 2024” to me is [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. I think the [name_f]Willow[/name_f] hype has died down a bit over the past year, but I would definitely associate it with a girl born in the late 2010s/early 2020s. I wouldn’t assume an [name_m]Orion[/name_m] is a 2024 baby as of now, but I do see it climbing the charts quickly, and could possibly get stuck in the 2020s.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] & [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] are definitely trendy at the moment, and I’d assume they belonged to people born 2015-2025, but they have a timeless/classic air about them, so I wouldn’t worry too much about these 4. [name_m]Rune[/name_m] is too unique to be fixed to a specific age/era imo. [name_m]Orion[/name_m] pretty much falls into this category too for me. The rest I would consider classic/vintage and thus could belong to any age group.

I would not assume age with:

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosella[/name_f]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]
[name_m]Alfie[/name_m]

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] back to NB.

I’m in the UK, for context, as assumptions might be different elsewhere :slight_smile:

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] → aged 0-30. I’ve met more little Freyas and teenaged Freyas, but I also went to school with a couple too.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] → could be any age. [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] timeless

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] → probably aged 0-12, but wouldn’t be surprised by a [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] in her 20s

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] → any age, maybe I’d expect either an older woman or a younger child though

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] → I’d expect a younger child, but wouldn’t be surprised by a teen or early twenties

[name_f]Pepper[/name_f] → not tied to any particular age for me, maybe under 30 would be more expected, but not sure

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] → under 10 or over 50

[name_f]Rosella[/name_f] → could be any age

[name_m]Alfie[/name_m] → as a given name, maybe 30 and under, but since it could be a nickname for [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], any age really

[name_m]Louis[/name_m] → timeless, could be any age

[name_m]Rune[/name_m] → surname dependent, but probably 18 or under

[name_m]Orion[/name_m] → probably teen and under (but I do know an [name_m]Orion[/name_m] who’s in his 20s now so :person_shrugging: )

[name_m]Cassian[/name_m] → not sure really, not really popular enough to tie it to any age for me

Thank you, the outlook isn’t as bad as I thought it might turn out.

@Greyblue can you please elaborate on rune - surname dependant?
We have a long but not too difficult German/English surname. How does the surname help determine age?

In general I’d say the names on your list do fit a lot of trends (or at least niche ones) and feel like “2024 names”, but not all of them would make me assume age if that makes sense, just since they’re not all super popular or brand new. Here’s some additional thoughts I have on specific ones:

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - This is the one most likely to age poorly IMO since I almost never heard it a couple years ago but now it’s EVERYWHERE. I wouldn’t be shocked to meet an older one, I know it’s existed for a while so it’s not Amberleigh level trendy but I could see people still assuming age

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_m]Alfie[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m] - Kind of both vintage and trendy at the same time? I could see myself wondering if they were younger but wouldn’t assume since they’ve never really left, they’re just maybe slightly more in style right now

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_m]Orion[/name_m] - I‘d definitely think they were younger, but wouldn’t tie them to this time period specifically since they’ve had a slower rise, especially [name_m]Orion[/name_m]. I’d think born after 2000, but not 2024

[name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_m]Rune[/name_m], [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] - Fit the category of niche popular to me. I might assume age knowing how popular they are on sites like this but likely wouldn’t if I didn’t know, and I doubt most other people will

[name_f]Pepper[/name_f] - Might lean towards them being younger since adventurous names are more commonplace now, but really wouldn’t know since I rarely see it itself mentioned

[name_f]Rosella[/name_f] - Totally ageless, would not suspect or assume anything

@Thelovelytri If the surname was Scandinavian, I’d assume [name_m]Rune[/name_m] could be any age (Rune has been popular in Norway, for example), whereas if the surname was very [name_f]English[/name_f], I might assume younger, as in a cool, edgy feeling name, rather than more classic? I hope that makes sense

[name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Pepper[/name_f], [name_m]Rune[/name_m], [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] make me assume it’s a younger person, not neccesarily someone born in 2024 but I do assume them to be born the last decade.

Out of your list these are the ones that “scream 2024” to me

[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_m]Alfie[/name_m]- if you went with [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] not at all. But the whole “ie” nickname feel does. The way [name_m]Bertie[/name_m] is being used now instead of [name_m]Albert[/name_m].
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Pepper[/name_f]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]

“-” means age and under. “+” means age and over.

Freya could be anything but maybe not 40+
I can’t put an age to Lucy
Lyra could be 30-
Willa could be 30+
Willow could be 20-
Pepper could be 10-
Daphne could be anything but mostly 20-
Rosella could be 40-

Alfie could be either 10-, or 60+, but nothing in between.
Louis with the loo-ee pn could be either 2-, or 50+, but nothing in between.
Rune could be anything but mostly 16+, but 50-
Orion could be 16+, but 40-
Cassian could be 60-

lovely list!!

freya- probably a child
lucy- i wouldn’t know, it’s timeless!
lyra- a child since it hasn’t been popular for very long
willa- either an older person or <13ish
willow- probably under 20
pepper- a child
daphne- either an older person or a baby
rosella- an older person

alfie- again either an older person or a baby :joy:
louis- >50
rune- a younger person, <20
orion- ehh about <15
cassian- i wouldn’t assume any age lol idk

If you want to avoid giving a name that’s frozen in time you’ll want to look for things that are a) always in style or b) never in style. Names that were basically unheard of 10 years ago, but are creeping up the top couple hundred now, like [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], and [name_f]Willow[/name_f] are more likely to sound so 2020s 30 years from now!

Names like [name_m]Louis[/name_m] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] with steady usage over time could be any age. [name_m]Rune[/name_m], [name_m]Orion[/name_m], and [name_f]Rosella[/name_f] are rare enough not to be attached to any generation.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], and [name_f]Willow[/name_f] are all nice names but feel very trendy/of-the-moment and I do think they would be easily assumed to be of a certain age. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosella[/name_f] feel like they are not as tied to a certain era. [name_f]Pepper[/name_f] also isn’t dated to a certain era, but I find it pretty juvenile in sound so I would steer clear of it for that reason if being taken seriously is a major concern for you.

I know [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] are very trendy right now if you are UK-based, and by their inclusion I suspect you probably are. If you’re in the US [name_m]Louis[/name_m] would feel more classic and [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is so unique that I don’t think it would read as one particular age. [name_m]Rune[/name_m], [name_m]Orion[/name_m], and [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] are all pretty uncommon so I don’t think any of them would come off as dated.