Feedback on top pick

I’m looking for opinions on [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], nn “[name_f]Hildie[/name_f].”

[name_f]Hildie[/name_f] is after my 2nd great gran [name_f]Hildred[/name_f].
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is after DH’s gran [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and my great gran [name_f]Helen[/name_f].

Thanks for the feedback!

The name does not fit my personal style but I think it is gorgeous and flows well. I like that it honors people special to you and your husband.

Great choice! I personally have grown to love the name [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Hildie[/name_f] lately so I think it’s really cute. It’s a clever way to honor important people while still giving her a fashionable name, variant of the popular [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

I think it’s very pretty!

I think it’s beautiful, but [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] might be a bit long and heavy for [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f]?

Great! I’m glad it seems well-liked.

@boyandgirl, [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] is a good option as well. We have a one-syllable last name beginning in a hard K (in my username), though, so I actually enjoy the relative length of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. We’ll put [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] up for consideration anyway!

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] choice!
I like the nn [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] a lot.
I’m glad you found something that worked for you guys

Since the last name is short, I would go with [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_u]Truly[/name_u] beautiful!

I like [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], I prefer it to [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f]. However, I think it would be better to use the spelling [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] since using a variation of a known name tends to lead to people misspelling the name.

Thanks everyone. @boyandgirl, thanks for the feedback on the full name.

@bellaczh. My name is [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] and my whole life I’ve been telling people “only one l in the middle.” The constant need for corrections is not a big deal, and I think [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] means a lot to me to have a closer connection to my [name_m]German[/name_m] roots and a more direct line of thought to the nickname “[name_f]Hildie[/name_f].” And it’s not like it’s a kreativ spelling, since it’s the origin. That’s just my rationale. I would totally agree with you to go with the currently-more-common [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] if I didn’t have my reasons. I guess in my case I feel like the H is not just for show.

[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] / [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] is so sweet!!! I get a little tired of seeing [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Tilly[/name_f]) around, the small difference in [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f], and the sweet nickname is really refreshing to me ^^
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is gorgeous, I much prefer the lilting [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] to the more flat [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], especially with your surname.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] seeing [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] / [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] being considered! She has a lovely sweet retro vibe with a dash of whimsy. Gorgeous!

[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is stunning! Right up my street, as you can probably tell :wink:

I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is fine with [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f], especially with a short surname like yours. [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] is lovely too, but I must admit that [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] always makes me think of the detergent, [name_f]Lenor[/name_f].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about… [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Leonor[/name_f]? [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] is perhaps just a tad lighter than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and I think it boosts the romantic, medieval feel of [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] (especially with this spelling) perfectly. I still think it works as an honour name for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Helen[/name_f], and it’s maybe a bit fairer in that it’s close but not identical to both of them. It has the added benefit of being recognisable but much less common than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. WDYT?

@dearest, “lovely sweet retro vibe with a dash of whimsy” is definitely part of what I was going for!

@ew314. [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] is lovely! I’ll have to run it by DH.

It’s beautiful! [name_m]Just[/name_m] gorgeous! I love [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] with an ‘h’. :slight_smile: Um, someone said that [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is “heavy”… they must mean something else, e.g., conservative? - because it’s actually a very soft and gentle name, even though it’s regal and upstanding. A bit like the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] that way. Like most “el” names and names with mostly vowels. [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is a perfectly sweet, strong, regal, feminine, sophisticated and chic name with a lovely musicality! Great pick.

Thanks everyone. I think it’s definitely staying our top pick. We’ve never agreed on a girl’s name as completely as we do on this one, so maybe in a couple years, we’ll have a [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]!