Feedback please - list is too long!

Please give me your thoughts on our list so far. We’re having an awful time deciding on names this time. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] was supposed to be due Feb 8, but s/he is coming next month, probably before the 25th instead.

Older brothers are [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] (12) and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_m]Joel[/name_m] (9). Our last name starts with H and rhymes with [name_m]John[/name_m].

BOYS

• [name_m]GERARD[/name_m] [name_m]PAUL[/name_m] - nn Ardie (possibly); [name_m]Paul[/name_m] is a strong MN possibility whichever 1st we choose because it’s the MN of each of our fathers.
  • [name_m]DANIEL[/name_m] [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u] - thinking of removing because of the way [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] Haan sounds. [name_u]Christie[/name_u] is my maiden name and I like the idea of using for a boy or girl in the middle.
  • [name_m]PETER[/name_m] [name_m]EPHRAIM[/name_m] - like [name_m]Peter[/name_m], but not sure about same -er ending as [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] has
  • [name_m]VIGGO[/name_m] [name_m]PAUL[/name_m] [[name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u]] - a leading contender. We call [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] “Cormo” frequently though, so I do get a little hesitant about the same sound.
  • [name_m]DIETRICH[/name_m] [name_m]PAUL[/name_m] / [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u] - also like, but ends with the same sound as [name_m]Cormac[/name_m].
  • [name_u]JESSE[/name_u] / [name_m]JARVIS[/name_m] - I like [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] a lot, hubby doesn’t. [name_m]Jarvis[/name_m]… not sure
  • [name_m]DIMITRI[/name_m] - I like, hubby not as much
  • [name_u]RALEIGH[/name_u] - same
  • [name_m]TOBIAS[/name_m] - like this, but not [name_u]Toby[/name_u]
  • WEISS - we like this, but seems short with our last name?

GIRLS

• [name_f]MAGDALENA[/name_f] [name_f]KATHERINE[/name_f] [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u] - kids used to call their Grandma 'ma-ghee" so that kind of appeals to me as a NN + other NN options. [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is honoring to my grandma and, moreso, a close friend
  • [name_f]RAMONA[/name_f] [name_f]KATHERINE[/name_f] [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u] - just kind of like it - seems a little sweet and a little spunky
  • [name_f]PENELOPE[/name_f] [name_f]ACACIA[/name_f] - this was our favorite with each of the boys. Still love the name, but tremendously bothered by how popular it is now. #34 and climbing. What does that really translate to? It was in the 600s when we first fell in love with it, but I don’t want to run into a bunch of other little Penelopes (NN [name_f]Nell[/name_f]).
  • [name_f]CLAUDIA[/name_f]? - I like a bit; hubby not as much
  • [name_f]THISBE[/name_f] - I like a lot - especially [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Arletta[/name_f] or [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Arvilla[/name_f] ([name_f]Arvilla[/name_f] is my grandmother’s name); my hubby not so much
  • [name_f]IRINA[/name_f] - The newest to the list. (Yes, we loced Alias.) [name_m]Ran[/name_m] it by my husband and he surprised me by liking it quite a bit. Still rolling it around and haven’t discussed middles.

So, opinions on which should be top choices for us? Which go best, etc.?

With [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_m]Joel[/name_m], my favorites from your list are:

[name_m]Viggo[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]

[name_m]Viggo[/name_m] and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] are both offbeat enough to match [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], and they have the same old-fashioned vibe with an injection of quirky, contemporary cool. I also like that they are totally different in sound. For the middle name, I prefer [name_m]Paul[/name_m]; I like the sentiment behind [name_u]Christie[/name_u], but might be tough on a boy these days.

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Irina[/name_f]

Again, offbeat enough to match siblings without sounding matchy — except [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], which, despite its popularity, has that wonderful quirkiness. I like [name_f]Irina[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] quite a bit too! Not a fan of [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]; my only association is the silly [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] play-within-a-play.

I think [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] would go best with your sons’ names. [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], and [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] all have that Irish or Scottish feel. [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Joel[/name_m], and [name_m]Paul[/name_m] are all biblical names, so there’d be that cool connection there too. Your other boy choices, while not bad, do seem to rhyme with either of your other boys’ names. Now, that isn’t a big deal to most people, but I do bring it up because you already mentioned it…it kinda seems that it’s a bit of a hold up or cause for doubt for you. Keeping that in mind, then I still stand by [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] being my favorite of your boy choices.

For the girls, I really like [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Acacia[/name_f]. The former is a bit long, but it has a lot of meaning for you guys and easily lends to nickname possibilities to balance out the length of the name. You get to honor family, use your maiden name, and you both like it. All win. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Acacia[/name_f] is a gorgeous, unexpected combo that I really like! I wouldn’t worry about [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. I think name popularity definitely means something, but doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll meet dozens of them. For instance, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is an uber-popular name on the charts, but I only have known/met 3. I think it depends more on your area. Anyhow, you both really like this one, and I don’t think you should have to give up a long-time love just because of a chance of other girls out there having her first name.

If you noticed, I did leave out opinions on the names that either you or your husband weren’t solid on. I am sorry. It isn’t that I think those names are horrible, but I just think that names should be mostly agreed upon by both parents. So if one isn’t totally sold, then I chose to focus on what you both have already liked and agreed upon. If that makes sense.

I like [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u] best with siblings [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]. Seconding namergirl3 about the Irish/Scottish feel of the boy sibset–it works so well! And you’re right, sweet and spunky little [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] will have no trouble keeping up with her brothers!

Out of your boy combos, I think [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]/[name_u]Christie[/name_u] fits best with [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]. I don’t think the two ‘-o’ endings are a problem, especially since Cormo is a nickname (even if you do use it often). It doesn’t seem as apparent as the ‘-er’ in [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. I also really like the combo of [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_u]Christie[/name_u], but I feel like [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] doesn’t mesh with [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], popularity-wise.

For the girls, I love the personal meaning for you, as well as the sound, of [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u]. I would say [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] differs from [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] stylistically, but it’s still a strong, interesting name that can hold its own, so it fits. If popularity bothers you, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] probably isn’t a good choice. It’s almost definitely going to keep increasing in status. However, with 5,921 babies named [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] born in 2015, even the most popular names aren’t given to as many kids as they used to be. If [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is your favourite, don’t let popularity steer you away! You definitely won’t run into little Penelopes everywhere you go, and the nickname [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is certainly unique (and pretty!).

Overall, my favourites are [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]/[name_m]Viggo[/name_m] [name_u]Christie[/name_u] (I like them both equally!) and [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u].

I really like [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] for the boy name. And I would choose [name_m]Paul[/name_m] as middles for both. Both great strong names that would fit in wonderfully with their brothers’ names. They are not common but classic. Also, I don’t think [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] sounds similar to [name_m]Cormo[/name_m] at all. You just have the ‘o’ ending but the rest of the name is different enough that I don’t think you would have to worry.

For the girls, I’m loving [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and [name_f]Irina[/name_f]. I think the middle name [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] would work really well with [name_f]Irina[/name_f] as well. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], I love the sound of. They are sweet sounding names. [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] stood out to me from the second I saw it. There’s something confident and strong about the name, which would be great for a girl with two brothers :wink: BUT, then I got to [name_f]Irina[/name_f]. I really like how it mixes with the boys’ names. I like that [name_f]Irina[/name_f] is not a common name. I like that it sounds sweet and feminine.

Ughh…tough decision mama. Just know you have some excellent choices! Oh and [name_u]Christie[/name_u] I’m not a fan of for the boy mn but I like it for the girl mn :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] is a really cool name and [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] sounds great. For the boys I think [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] sounds the best. :slight_smile:

BOYS

• [name_m]GERARD[/name_m] [name_m]PAUL[/name_m]: I like the nn, and the mn because of its meaning in your case, but not so much [name_m]Gerard[/name_m].
  • [name_m]DANIEL[/name_m] [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u]: I don’t like [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], and it’s way too ordinary compared to [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m].
  • [name_m]PETER[/name_m] [name_m]EPHRAIM[/name_m]: I like it a lot, but I’d doubt because of the same ending
  • [name_m]VIGGO[/name_m] [name_m]PAUL[/name_m] [[name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u]]: I love it! My favourite, all the way!
  • [name_m]DIETRICH[/name_m] [name_m]PAUL[/name_m] / [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u]: Eh, I guess it’s ok.
  • [name_u]JESSE[/name_u] / [name_m]JARVIS[/name_m]: I don’t love either.
  • [name_m]DIMITRI[/name_m]: It’s ok.
  • [name_u]RALEIGH[/name_u]: the ending is too trendy
  • [name_m]TOBIAS[/name_m]: He would be called [name_u]Toby[/name_u]
  • WEISS: It IS short, but that’s not bad per se. I do find it short with his siblings’ names.

GIRLS

• [name_f]MAGDALENA[/name_f] [name_f]KATHERINE[/name_f] [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u]: I love it!
  • [name_f]RAMONA[/name_f] [name_f]KATHERINE[/name_f] [name_u]CHRISTIE[/name_u]: I agree with you, it is super spunky!
  • [name_f]PENELOPE[/name_f] [name_f]ACACIA[/name_f]: I love the nn, but it is very popular rn. I don’t love [name_f]Acacia[/name_f].
  • [name_f]CLAUDIA[/name_f]: I stand with your husband.
  • [name_f]THISBE[/name_f]: Eh… I don’t love it
  • [name_f]IRINA[/name_f]: I don’t like the [name_f]Irina[/name_f] I know, I much prefer [name_f]Irene[/name_f].