Feeling Hopeless!

We are expecting #2 in [name]August[/name] and find out what we’re having in about a month. DH says he wants to firm up our girl name before the u/s - though it’s not a requirement. But I’m just starting to feel like it’s hopeless and if we are having a girl we are just never going to find a name we like and agree on. . .but more than that, we need to find a name we [name]LOVE[/name].

I feel like we’ve looked at and thought about and played with and considered [name]EVERY[/name] girl name out there, I mean we’ve spent hours and hours and hours looking at websites, reading through the 5-6 books we own, going through family trees and geneology books and have come up with a big fat nothing.

Has anyone else been in this situation? [name]Do[/name] you just eventually discover new name and love it, or do you look at a name you’ve looked at 50 times and suddenly love it, or do you settle for a name you aren’t in love with but eventually it grows on you??

The closest we came to a choice was [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Joy[/name], but now dh isn’t crazy about it. We had picked [name]Brynn[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name] for a few weeks but we are both kind of eh about it now.

I’m really looking for support and success stories, but I’ll also give you dd’s name in case some miracle inspiration hits you:)

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name], brown hair, brown eyes, spunky & cheerful and a funny little monkey.

If we have a boy, he’ll be [name]Grant[/name] [name]William[/name]

thanks everyone!

I am not going to be much help but just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel. We have a couple of boys names that we would use in a heartbeat but the girls, nothing at all. I read namebooks, look on websites and for the life of me cannot find a name i [name]LOVE[/name] and would really even seriously consider using. The only ones i like sound seriously dumb w/ our last name. This baby better be a boy! BTW i love your daughters name and i would totally use [name]Isla[/name] except my BFF has already “claimed” it. sorry i am not much help - and i hope you find the name you love or find out it is a boy so you dont have to worry about it. good luck.

I am not going to be much help but just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel. We have a couple of boys names that we would use in a heartbeat but the girls, nothing at all. I read namebooks, look on websites and for the life of me cannot find a name i [name]LOVE[/name] and would really even seriously consider using. The only ones i like sound seriously dumb w/ our last name. This baby better be a boy! BTW i love your daughters name and i would totally use [name]Isla[/name] except my BFF has already “claimed” it. sorry i am not much help - and i hope you find the name you love or find out it is a boy so you dont have to worry about it. good luck.

maybe you should just stop thinking about it for a while… you have some time - no need to stress out about it now! sometimes name ideas come when you least expect it. trust that you’ll have that “aha” moment with her name without forcing it.

A name that came to me when I saw your dd’s name, was [name]Georgia[/name]. [name]Georgia[/name] also goes very nicely with [name]Isla[/name], and if you have a boy someday, would go nicely with [name]Grant[/name] [name]William[/name]!
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Faith[/name]

My husband and I ended up having a list of names that I had come up with (4 names), and we chose [name]Emily[/name] (she’s 8 now) because it was the only girl’s name that my dh liked with our long last name.

Well, since you’ve already spent so much time on it you might just be stuck in that “hopeless” mindset where you don’t think anything will work… so I’d say definitely just let it incubate for a while. Wait till the ultrasound! No rush. And 50% chance it’s a boy and you might be wasting your time this month searching for a girl name anyway.

[name]Grant[/name] [name]William[/name] is lovely and I am sure that you will find an equally lovely name if you have a daughter. You have brilliant naming style.

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name] [name]Isla[/name] is a lovely name not well known till recently and it tells me that
1.You like slightly unusual names without going to extremes 2.[name]Hope[/name] tells me that you like virtue names so you could keep [name]Joy[/name] in the combo.
3.You also like short names.

A few suggestions

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Bridie[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Cara[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Anneke[/name] [name]Joy[/name] prn [name]Ann[/name] a kah

Like suggestion of [name]Georgia[/name]

You’re right on - we def. like unusual names, but not “weird” names. . . or names that are too out there. The ‘[name]Hope[/name]’ part is actually my middle name I handed down to dd, so it’s not really that we are huge on virtue names, but now that she has a birtue name we wouldn’t mind giving dd#2 one as well. But not a necessity. And the comment on short names, that’s because our last name is super long and bulky - it sounds and looks like Shutterworks, so a shorter name lightens it up a bit. Again, this isn’t an absolute necessity for a girl name b/c we figure she wont have to keep the name forever.

I think everyone’s idea to take a break is a good one. I actually was on a break, I had decided that [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Joy[/name] made me happy enough to hang on to it until the ultrasound. If at that point we find out we’re having a girl, I would revisit the topic. But now with dh saying he’s not crazy about [name]Matilda[/name] and that he wants to firm up a girl name b4 the u/s it’s got me going again. Maybe I should just tell him to take a chill pill:)