Feelings on the name Dinah?

I love the meaning of [name]Danielle[/name], but I’m not that fond of any of the variants: [name]Daniela[/name], [name]Dania[/name]/[name]Danya[/name].
I never knew that [name]Dinah[/name] was a variant of it until a few days ago.

What are your thoughts?

It’s bit china dollish to me, and very fine, dainty kind of name. It makes me think of kittens.

I think of that song. Can’t remember what it’s called, but it goes “Someone’s in the kitchen with [name]Dinah[/name]”, et c. I feel like she would get sung to a lot, lol! Older people often sang the old WWII song “[name]Katie[/name]” to me as a kid, and I knew a [name]Molly[/name] who got very sick of hearing people say “Good golly, Miss [name]Molly[/name]” all the time.

Second thing I think of is someone saying “diner” very quickly, so it feels a little waitressy to me. Not that either of those connections are bad ones, just something to think about. I’d pair it with a really classic, elegant middle. Maybe [name]Dinah[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]?

I really like the name [name]Dinah[/name]! The Biblical character is kind of tragic, though…not entirely…

I think of kittens too! Cause of [name]Alice[/name]'s cat in [name]Alice[/name] In Wonderland.

The song puts this name in the same category as [name]Susanna[/name] & [name]Clementine[/name]. [name]Will[/name] people always be singing it to the poor girl? All 3 of those songs are very old fashioned but possibly so classic that every grandma will be singing them to the new generation of kids?

I think [name]Dinah[/name] is very vintagey and sparkley & dainty as a teacup. [name]Diana[/name] is just as sparkling but stronger & ages better. [name]Dana[/name] doesn’t have that daintiness and feels more solid but I really like it. Down to earth. [name]Danica[/name] is very associated with racecars but also feels in the vein of [name]Annika[/name], [name]Franka[/name], [name]Elka[/name], [name]Anya[/name]…elegantly euro

I know one [name]Dinah[/name] and she kind of is china dollish, but I think it can work on certain types of girls and women. I do think it sounds abit childish, but I think it’s pretty and dainty too. It makes me think of [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland.

I love it! I don’t even remember how the song goes, but I do remember [name]Dinah[/name] the kitten, which is great!

It makes me think of [name]Alice[/name] and Wonderland not really a bad association :slight_smile: and the song is [name]Stephen[/name] [name]Foster[/name] ‘I’ve been workin on the railroad’

I really like it.

It feels like [name]Hannah[/name], to me; sweet and classic but usable today. But so, so, SO much less used than [name]Hannah[/name]! It feels like there’s only 3-4 Biblical names that are popular at any given time. [name]Dinah[/name] has been gone so long it feels fresh and charming.

I don’t hear it as especially china-teacup. But I do think of [name]Dinah[/name] [name]Lance[/name] who is a minor (and cool) DC superheroine, [name]Black[/name] [name]Canary[/name]. She was on the [name]Justice[/name] League Unlimited cartoon. I’ve always liked her. She was first written in 1947 and she was always a bit saucy so I get a mental image that’s a bit rockabilly and not so sugary, but still very vintage.

[name]Dinah[/name] is one you definitely don’t hear too often. I really like it too!

[name]Dinah[/name] is a lovely and underused Biblical gem. I think of actress/TV talk show host [name]Dinah[/name] Shore and she was a pretty classy lady.

I love [name]Dinah[/name]. I like the reference to china doll… it seems to suit the name. Classic, biblical, classy, not trendy.

I think it’s a fantastic name… Because its mine! I spell it [name]Dina[/name] though. And pronounce it [name]Dee[/name]-nah. I realize [name]Dinah[/name] is more Die-nah. Im partial to my spelling and pronunciation, but I might be a bit biased. Dindlee is the nn I got from my dad as a little girl.

I absolutely [name]ADORE[/name] it. [name]One[/name] of my very favorite names. I think it sounds very classy, yet spunky in a way. Beautiful name and is at the moment relatively underused.

Dinah is a gorgeous name

Personally, I’d never use it. I love the sound of Dinah and Delilah but unfortunately I can’t get pass the biblical associations. I’d never discourage anyone though

ETA
The song is “I’ve Been Working On The Railroad”. Dinah is in two parts:

“Someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah
Someone’s in the kitchen I know
Someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah,
strumming on the old banjo.”

“Dinah won’t you blow
Dinah you blow
Dinah won’t you blow your horn”

I’m sorry but I can’t get over I’ve been working on the railroad.

You’ve got to read [name]Anita[/name] Diamant’s The [name]Red[/name] Tent if you’re digging [name]Dinah[/name]. It’ll totally change any china teacup vision of the name! :wink: Though it does sound tough but sweet in a way that really appeals to me. I think it’s an underused gem.