Felicity nn Lily

What do you think? My daughters name is [name]Felicity[/name] and we have been looking for an easy friendly nn for family and friends that would prefer to use a nn. DHs grandma suggested [name]Lily[/name]. I kinda like it because lilys are my favorite flower but do you feel it’s kind of a stretch. As in why didnt we just name her [name]Lily[/name] in the first place?

I am thinking about counter suggesting that we call her Tilly, I feel it better preserves the feel of Felicity then the lovely but way overused Lily.

Ehh, it’s too much of a stretch imo. It is like “why didn’t you just name her [name]Lily[/name]? Or a [name]Lily[/name] variant?” type of thing.

I’d rather [name]Lili[/name], Licy prn [name]Lee[/name]-see, or even just [name]Lacy[/name].

I think it’s away too much of a stretch, it doesn’t even seem relevant to the name [name]Felicity[/name]. What about Fliss or Lissy?

I think they are too different. I know a [name]Felicity[/name] who goes by “[name]Flick[/name]”

I also feel that it is too much of a stretch…If i met a felicity nn lily, I would be really confused how they got there.
I adore the name felicity and would not use a nn, it is too great on its own!

I think it works! Nicknames can be whatever you want them to be. [name]Felicity[/name] has an L I and Y in it, so the letters are there. [name]Lily[/name] is a nicknamey sounding name anyway. Besides, you probably call her “Cutie” and “[name]Princess[/name]” or other pet names sometimes, and those have nothing to do with her name. So, I say why not!

I sort of like it! It is quite a large stretch, but honestly, I’m attracted to those, apparently, since [name]Hannah[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name], and [name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Posey[/name] are either currently on my list or were in the past. I think the sound is there, and it definitely could work… I just don’t think people would automatically go there. But honestly, the only obvious nn, imo, for [name]Felicity[/name] would be Lissy, so people would just become accustomed to the fact that she’s [name]Felicity[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name]. I guess it does sort of feel like why did you use [name]Felicity[/name] if you’re just going to call her [name]Lily[/name], but it’s [name]Felicity[/name] you love, [name]Lily[/name]'s just an added bonus. I’m the same way about [name]Hannah[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name] on my list. It sort of seems pointless when [name]Hannah[/name]'s so short already, and it seems like it doesn’t make a ton of sense, but I love it anyway. If you really love it, I would go for it!

Like @claireelise said, not all nicknames actually stem from the name itself. I remember when I first joined this site there was a mom who had a [name]Zoe[/name] but her nn was [name]Lulu[/name]–didn’t connect at all, but it was a namey nickname. I think it’s fine. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

i know a felcitily that goes by lily.

I think it’ll be a bit tough to get other people to call her [name]Lily[/name]- it really is a big stretch. [name]Even[/name] if it has the letters, you can’t just take anagrams and use them as nicknames- then [name]Alexandra[/name] could be called [name]Andrea[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] could be [name]Leonora[/name], and [name]Evangeline[/name] called [name]Geneva[/name]. It’s confusing. Some suggestions:
Fliss
Lissy
[name]Fee[/name]/[name]Fifi[/name]
[name]Issy[/name] or [name]Izzy[/name]
[name]Effie[/name]

I do think it’s kind of a stretch- I would just keep calling her [name]Felicity[/name] (love the name!)

What about [name]Elle[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name]…[name]FELicity[/name] :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch! [name]Lily[/name] is an established nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name], so I think that it works for [name]Felicity[/name]. I do think that some people may require an explanation for it when they found out that she’s [name]Felicity[/name] called [name]Lily[/name], but that should be easy enough to provide. “[name]FeLIcity[/name], [name]LIly[/name], her grandmother suggested it, they’re my favorite flowers, etc.”

Ooh, I like [name]Lily[/name] as a nickname for [name]Felicity[/name]! I’m pretty liberal as far as what nicknames can work and what can’t (I pretty much thing everything works, haha).

I like it. I agree that because it has the same letters, is shorter than the name itself, and has the same sounds, it can work.

I like Lissy better, but [name]Lily[/name] works too, in my view.

[name]Lily[/name] is fine. :slight_smile:

I’m also good with nicknames that are a stretch, so I think [name]Lily[/name] totally works for [name]Felicity[/name]. It took me a couple seconds to figure out how that worked but I got it even without your explanation. I think since it’s distinct people would remember it- and her- for sure! And if it were only to be used affectionately at home, anything goes.

[name]Way[/name] too much of a stretch. Lissy makes sense to me, since it’s the “lis” sound is in [name]Felicity[/name]. Honestly, I don’t think [name]Felicity[/name] needs a nickname. It’s fine just on its own.

I absolutely agree with this. Honestly, you can nickname your child whatever you want, that goes without saying. But [name]Lily[/name] is not a natural-sounding choice from [name]Felicity[/name], [name]IMO[/name].

For those who were following my posts before I was set on [name]Felicity[/name], this grandma is the same one who was vehemently opposed to us naming her [name]Felicity[/name] in the first place. Also those family members who have difficulty saying her name can say [name]LiLi[/name] which is similar to [name]Lily[/name].