Felix

This has recently come on my radar. I’m curious what everyone thinks? Also, any cute nns? I’m kinda a sucker for nicknames. :slight_smile:

Also, how does it work with [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Noah[/name]/[name]Noam[/name], [name]Jack[/name], and [name]Jonas[/name] (my favorites)?

Thanks!

Absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] it. If my next baby is a boy, this will be his name. I’m nickname-happy myself, but this one is just so cool I think I’d just use his full name. I see [name]Felix[/name] as an old, spunky name, in cahoots with [name]Stanley[/name], [name]Lawrence[/name], [name]Ike[/name], [name]Ira[/name], and [name]Frank[/name].

I also love [name]Felix[/name]. I think berries get the impression that this is a popular name in the real world but I have never met a [name]Felix[/name] before. Plus [name]Felix[/name] is on my family tree which is a plus. I think this name has everything going for it–sound, meaning, x-factor, vintage feel.

We named our son [name]Felix[/name] this year and [name]LOVE[/name] his name. We live in a progressive urban area in the US, I work with children and have not personally met another [name]Felix[/name]. It is extremely popular in [name]German[/name] speaking European countries.

I will say the name gets a reaction from almost everyone, usually positive interest… “wow, what a cool name, how did you come up with that?” Sometimes it’s a bit less positive, “oh, is that a family name?” No one has said, “[name]Felix[/name] the [name]Cat[/name]!”

We wanted a somewhat off beat, even eccentric name that sounds creative and intellectual. [name]Felix[/name] hit the nail on the head for us.

The meaining is just fabulous as well.

Nicnames as a spin off of [name]Felix[/name] are not great. [name]Fee[/name]? no.

Other name we felt gave off the same vibe: [name]Desmond[/name] - and this one has the great nicnames of [name]Desi[/name] and [name]Des[/name].

I really like the name [name]Felix[/name]. It sounds a bit feline, but I don’t think that should necessarily count against it. Otherwise, I think [name]Felix[/name] possesses a sophistication and a sort of yuppiness that is appealing.

Unfortunately, I think [name]Felix[/name] already sounds a bit like it’s own nickname, haha, but you could call him “[name]Fee[/name]” - or some variation on his first name - for short. You can also create a nickname that’s completely unrelated to his first name. For example, we refer to our son [name]James[/name] as 'Pea, short for Sweetpea. Obviously, you can choose something different - and a name that will age with your son a bit better than 'Pea, LOL - but you get the idea!

lol. I posted about [name]Felix[/name] on another board (which has a decidedly different demographic on it–I like to compare opinions), and [name]Lex[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] were nickname suggestions they gave. I do like [name]Lex[/name], a LOT, actually, but I’m afraid people will think it’s too girly, b/c of [name]Lexi[/name]. Besides, I have a second cousin named [name]Alexis[/name] ([name]Lexi[/name]). I don’t see her a ton–a lot less now that my grandmother died (she used to live with them)–but still, it would be weird for me. I like [name]Eli[/name] okay, but I don’t love it. I like just [name]Felix[/name] better than [name]Eli[/name], so…

Urgh, I keep going back and forth on it. Sometimes I think it’s perfect and I want to add it to my list immediately, and then a second later, I can’t get past the [name]Felix[/name] the [name]Cat[/name] association, or the fact that I just used [name]Felix[/name] in a story I am finishing up writing (urgh, he’s a terrorist!). I usually don’t have qualms about using names I’ve used in stories, but really, when it’s a super-bad-guy, it’s hard to get past it. I totally ruined my love for [name]Liam[/name] that way, and I figured I’d pick [name]Felix[/name] because it was a name I would never love! Ooops. haha. Sometimes I feel it’s a bit too strong, too? I just need to find a really good association for it so I can stop being all over the board, haha.

We have a [name]Felix[/name]! I’ve ALWAYS loved the name despite people saying it’s for a cat!!! I knew if I had a son I’d call him [name]Felix[/name] however my husband took some persuading as he prefers more classic, traditional names! We live in [name]London[/name] where there are lots of kooky names around but I still get ‘mmm, interesting’ when I say his name! His brother is [name]Max[/name] which people seem to like immediately but [name]Felix[/name] tends to leave them a little bewildered! I’ve never shortened his name - my husband is already [name]Lex[/name] ([name]Alexis[/name]). He sometimes gets called [name]Felix[/name] the fox/[name]Foxy[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Minty[/name],
I like [name]Fox[/name] as a nicname! Very cute. We just call ours [name]Felix[/name]. Maybe a characteristic will emerge that will lend itself to a nicname.

Does it bother you that you get the ‘mmm interesting’ response? In the first few months after he was born It bothered me but now I kind of like it. It makes me feel like - yah, it is an interesting name for an interesting little guy. It’s a name that I think sticks with people and makes them want to know more about him.

[Urgh, I keep going back and forth on it. Sometimes I think it’s perfect and I want to add it to my list immediately, and then a second later, I can’t get past the [name]Felix[/name] the [name]Cat[/name] association, or the fact that I just used [name]Felix[/name] in a story I am finishing up writing (urgh, he’s a terrorist!). I usually don’t have qualms about using names I’ve used in stories, but really, when it’s a super-bad-guy, it’s hard to get past it. I totally ruined my love for [name]Liam[/name] that way, and I figured I’d pick [name]Felix[/name] because it was a name I would never love! Ooops. haha. Sometimes I feel it’s a bit too strong, too? I just need to find a really good association for it so I can stop being all over the board, haha.[/QUOTE]

ashthedreamer - I think the name holds a mysterious continental flair, which is probably why you chose it to name a character. I guess whetehr to put it on your list depends on when you plan on using your list to name an actual boy. If it is in the near future and you are not in love with the name, then maybe you don’t want it in the top teir of your list. If you are tucking it away for years down the road - [name]Felix[/name] is a keeper and there is so much time for your current association to fade.

lol, I think you’re right about why I picked it. It seemed to have this British flair to it that I loved, too, and my character was from [name]Britain[/name].

I don’t plan on having children right away, but I do plan on adopting (hopefully a baby) in about 3 years. [name]Even[/name] if I get past the whole character association, I still feel like [name]Felix[/name] is a REALLY strong name. So I might just tuck it away, and see how I feel later. Maybe I’ll use it as a MN, or maybe in three years, I’ll loooove it. Who knows, haha. But that’s really good advice, thanks. :slight_smile:

It used to - probably as I went through a period of uncertainty about his name :frowning: In fact, that’s how I started on this site about 6-7 months ago looking for advice. Now I feel much more content about his name and as he grows into a cheeky, willful, smart little boy (only 15 months!) his name suits him more and more so when people do they raise their eyebrows I just feel really happy he has a strong, slightly quirky but super-cool name!!!

Sorry to hijack Ashdreamer!!

x

[name]Ash[/name], there was a series of children’s books I adored when I was little (because the main character was named [name]Sophie[/name] :wink: - and [name]Felix[/name] was the name of the protagonist!

Granted, he was a stuffed rabbit, but he traveled all around the world (and through time) and sent letters back to [name]Sophie[/name], his best friend. I have always loved the name [name]Felix[/name] because of that! So maybe that’s a better association than a cat and a terrorist, haha.

I, too, have been searching for a great nn for [name]Felix[/name]! [name]Minty[/name], I like [name]Fox[/name] too :3

I have always loved [name]Felix[/name]. It is very masculine and has a lot of spunk. I really cannot think of a nickname, except for maybe [name]Flick[/name], which can also be a nickname for [name]Felicity[/name].

I love [name]Felix[/name]! The boy I know with the name uses the nickname Fizz.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lucky[/name] as a nn for [name]Felix[/name] since the meaning is happy and fortunate?

I adore [name]Felix[/name]. I think it’s such an interesting, yet solidly masculine names. The only problem I find is that it’s not the easiest name to pair with others, especially in front. For some reason, I want to stick it in the middle with a more unisex name in front, such as [name]Grayson[/name] [name]Felix[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Felix[/name].
@ashthedreamer: [name]May[/name] I suggest [name]Avery[/name] [name]Felix[/name] or [name]Felix[/name] [name]Avery[/name] for you, with a second middle name, since I know you like combos with two middle names?
Oh, and also, I envy you, what with your being so close to starting the adoption process.

Thanks! [name]Felix[/name] is pretty much out of the running, but I still do like it in the MN spot. [name]Grayson[/name] [name]Felix[/name] is handsome, but I am pretty tied to my [name]Grayson[/name] [name]Isaac[/name] [name]Jude[/name] combo at the moment!

[name]Avery[/name] [name]Felix[/name] is really handsome, but this was posted a long time ago, lol, and I’m not even sure [name]Avery[/name] is going to make it onto my short list. We’ll see, I suppose. :slight_smile:

And about the adoption process… it’s probably not as close as you think. I changed my signature when I graduated in [name]December[/name], because I had told myself I would start the adoption process 3 years after I graduated. Now that I’m in the midst of job hunting and may still be living at home for a while, it looks like it might be more like five years until I start the process, but I’m still quite excited about it. :slight_smile: If I’m school-loan free by the time I adopt, I think it’ll be worth it, haha.

I know far too many felines named [name]Felix[/name] to imagine it on a little boy. I like some of your other favourites a lot more. Sorry [name]Ashley[/name]!

lol, that’s okay–if you saw my last comment on this thread, I’m not all that in love with [name]Felix[/name] anymore. I like it, but probably not enough to use it. Not at the moment, anyway!

I also have a little [name]Felix[/name]! He is almost a year old and I have not once regretted his name! While I was pregnant I had doubts because people were not “all about it.” But now that their is a face to the name I have gotten GREAT reactions. And to my surprise not a single person has even mentioned [name]Felix[/name] the [name]Cat[/name]! I am finding it hard to think of the perfect boy #2 name… Some on the list are [name]Sebastian[/name], Dimitrius, [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Leonardo[/name], [name]Arlo[/name], [name]Hugo[/name]… It’s going to be hard to top my [name]Felix[/name]! :slight_smile: