Female name--she's more than meets the eye

I need a name for a female character of mine! Her name was originally [name]Emmy[/name], but recently I’ve made a close friend with that name, so it’s hard to imagine it on anyone else. I don’t think the name fits her very well anyway.

Physical description: Slim and short, long brown hair that’s almost always tied back in a ponytail, blue eyes.

She seems like a stereotypical smart, shy girl. She works in the library at a boarding/military school (hard to explain, just go with me) and has a crush on one of the main characters (though he’s a little naive so he has no idea). She won’t play much of a role outside of that until much later on in the story, when the characters find out that she’s actually part of a very secret undercover branch of their organization. It’s then revealed that she’s incredibly intelligent, a good fighter as well, and her job is mostly to trick people into believing she’s someone that she’s not to gain vital information. A spy, of sorts. She’ll never exactly be a ‘main’ character, but she’s very important later on, and she’s romantically involved with one of the main characters during a crucial part in plot.

I’d like to avoid names that start with the letter ‘z.’ Thanks!

[name]Ruth[/name]/[name]Ruthie[/name]/[name]Rue[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]/[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]/[name]Eleanora[/name]

[name]Love[/name] the strong character names. [name]Unique[/name], not overdone, but definitely not someone you forget. I’d go with…

[name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Milly[/name]/[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]/[name]Josie[/name]/[name]Jo[/name] (tough-sounding as [name]Jo[/name], hard to forget)
[name]Sadie[/name] (grittier, country sounding)
[name]Arbor[/name] (unique, less feminine, more tough sounding)
[name]Hazel[/name] (memorable)
[name]Harley[/name] (tough)
[name]Gabrielle[/name]/[name]Gabby[/name] (feminine with a tough nickname)
[name]Jordan[/name]
[name]Jessa[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Maddy[/name] (with a Y, it’s always more memorable)

Good luck!

Bay
Tess
Claire
Ivy
Delta
Harlow
Ellery
Elle
Waverly
Romilly nn Roma
Harper
Mila
Piper
Aurora nn Rory
Charlotte nn Char or Lottie
Delaney nn Del
Cora
Clover
Margeret nn Maggie
Libby
Viv
Cleo
Sage
Natalie
Diana
Anna

Thanks everyone! I really love the suggestions of [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Jessa[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Cora[/name], and [name]Libby[/name] most of all. I still haven’t settled on a name, but thanks for all the input and giving me a chance to try some names I wouldn’t come up with on my own! I’m still open to suggestions if others have them.

This character sounds like me in school! I’ll put my own name on the list…
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Maddy[/name] (I agree with adlouise12)
[name]Annabel[/name] (nickname [name]Annie[/name])
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Alison[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name] (don’t know why…)

She seems like a perfect [name]Jane[/name] – plain at first, but packs a punch! I like something unsuspecting for this character.

[name]Angela[/name] ([name]Angie[/name])
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Jean[/name] / [name]Jeannie[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Teresa[/name]

My first thought was [name]Jade[/name]. She looks just like a [name]Jade[/name] to me!