Female Scientist Name: Lamarr

My husband and I are expecting our first little one, it’s a girl!

We both have careers in science and would love to name our little girl after a scientist.

The two women that we talk about most are [name_f]Ada[/name_f] Lovelace and [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m]. All the kids in my husband’s family have their name start with A, so though I like the name [name_f]Ada[/name_f] I would rather use it for a second daughter.

[name_f]Hedy[/name_f] is an interesting name, though I’m not a fan of [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f], mainly because I’m not really sure how to pronounce it. I’m wondering if [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] is a good girl’s name? It’s certainly unique, but is it odd?

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t like it at all, sorry. It only makes me think of [name_m]Kendrick[/name_m] [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] (love his music but definitely can’t see [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] as a girl’s name).

What about [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] as an alternative to [name_f]Hedy[/name_f]?

For me [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] is a boys name, like Kemar and [name_m]Jamar[/name_m].
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f] is similar.

I think [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] is a little odd and masculine for a first name, but I would love it in the middle. Lovelace could be a very romantic middle, as well.

I’m not a fan of [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] as a girls name sorry. I do love the suggestion of [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] as a nod to [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] though.

I’m not a fan of using [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] for a girl, but I do love just stand-alone [name_f]Hedy[/name_f]! It’s spunky and different, easy to pronounce, and goes with the trend of nicknames as full.

Sorry I don’t like [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] at all. [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] is 100% a guy’s name in my mind ([name_m]Lamar[/name_m] Odom, etc.). I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], and I love [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

Before I even read pp’s comment, I was thinking [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] Odom. I much prefer [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. I am also not very fond of [name_f]Hedy[/name_f], perhaps [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] instead? [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is so lovely! If you aren’t sold on [name_f]Ada[/name_f] perhaps you’d like:

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] (Goodall)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] ([name_m]Franklin[/name_m])
[name_f]Marie[/name_f] (Curie)
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (Hodgkin)
[name_f]Emmy[/name_f] (Noether)

My favorites have to be [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] shortly followed my [name_f]Marie[/name_f]!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] lot. It’s getting a tad common, but it’s a lovely classic. Sweet, simple, feminine yet not too frilly.

[name_f]Hedy[/name_f] is a bit lacking on its own, but maybe [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] or [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hedy[/name_f]? Those would be cute! Much nicer than [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f]. [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] I don’t fine very pretty, sorry.

Soooo, what are your thoughts on [name_f]Gerty[/name_f]? Gery [name_f]Cori[/name_f] was a scientist in the early 20th century who discovered glycogen metabolism. She was the first American woman to win a [name_m]Noble[/name_m] Prize for science. My husband loves [name_f]Gerty[/name_f], & I’ve come aboard. It’s so cute, but also has strong history.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I knew a really lovely lady calle [name_m]Lemarr[/name_m] some time ago. I think you gotta decide if it works for you. Her name might’ve been short of Delamar though.

I don’t like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] (just me). I am not fussed on [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] ([name_f]Hedwig[/name_f]) either. However, I do like Jadzia which is a legitimate version of [name_f]Jadwiga[/name_f] ([name_f]Hedwig[/name_f]) The difference in the name is the various languages of Europe (read Polish origin).

Another very famous woman scientist is Polish born [name_f]Maria[/name_f] Salamea Sklodowska much better known as [name_f]Marie[/name_f] Curie, co-discoverer (with her husband [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] Curie) of radium and first person to win two Nobel [name_u]Peace[/name_u] prizes in physics and chemistry.

I don’t mind [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] as a first name and would certainly assume it was a girl rather than a boy. Sounds quite feminine to me. But then I’m not in the US where previous posters are referring to a [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] who is male? I see that Nameberry has listed [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] as female and refers to [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m]. I like [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] too, and can’t see the point of changing it to something similar like [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] or [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] when the point is [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m]. I prefer [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] over those anyway - much more interesting.
So, I think [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] is worth considering.

I like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and I think Lovelace would make a super cool middle.

Unfortunately [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] isnt really flattering and I could see getting picked on in teenager years. And [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] is definitely all boy

You could use [name_f]Marla[/name_f] as an anagram for [name_m]Lamar[/name_m]

There are some kickass female scientists that would makes awesome name sakes. They’re accomplishments alone are pretty cool but these are the ones with names that I loved , especially with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

[name_f]Lise[/name_f] ( Mietner)
[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f] ([name_m]Burnell[/name_m])
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] ([name_m]Rubin[/name_m])
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] ([name_m]Bascom[/name_m])
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] ([name_m]Williams[/name_m])
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] ([name_m]Arnold[/name_m])

Merian ([name_f]Maria[/name_f]) -Merian Lovelace would be really cool and [name_f]Meri[/name_f] would be a super cute nickname. [name_u]Love[/name_u] this with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ([name_m]Blackwell[/name_m]) “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]” would be love nicknames and perfect sisters to [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

[name_f]Mae[/name_f] Jemison- Either would work [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is nice with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. But Jemison though some what trendy and unisex sounding would give you [name_u]Jem[/name_u] or [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] for a nickname which is also great with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

Less know, still would make great name sakes for accomplishments alone

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] ([name_m]Earle[/name_m])
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f] (Dresselhaus) “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] (Daubechies)
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (Hann) “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]” “[name_f]Tilly[/name_f]”
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] (Hammel)
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f] (Seydoux)
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f] (Singer)
[name_f]Frieda[/name_f] (Robscheit-[name_m]Robbins[/name_m])
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] ([name_m]Payne[/name_m]-Gaposchkin)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] these help

I’m struggling to see [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] as a feminine name, it’s all boy to me. But perhaps Lamara as an alternative? Lamara nn [name_f]Mara[/name_f] would be super cute!

It’s considered an Arabic name and means “the glow of the diamond” or “the liquid gold”.

I really don’t like [name_m]Lemarr[/name_m], or Lovelace.

Life is unpredictable, and daughter #2 isn’t assured. If you really like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] , Id say use it. If you think your inclination to push it to baby#2 is more of a sign that you don’t love it, then find another name, or move [name_f]Ada[/name_f] to the middle spot.

Other L middle names:
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]
[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_u]Leigh[/name_u]
[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
Lysette
[name_u]Lisa[/name_u]
[name_f]Lori[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenora[/name_f]
[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leora[/name_f]
[name_u]Leone[/name_u]
[name_m]Lenox[/name_m]
[name_m]Lenon[/name_m]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lea[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Liza[/name_f]

The above suggestion of Lamara nn. Mara is wonderful! I totally second that!

I also like Hedy.

If you don’t like Hedwig, Hedy could also be a nickname for Hedda, Heather, Hadar /Hadara, Hadassah, Hadiya, Hadria /Hadrienne /Hadriana, Hildegarde, Hildred, Holiday, Hadley /Hedley, Hayden, Henrietta, Hendricka, Heidrun, Adelheid /Heida, Helodie /Helodia, Hecate, Hester /Hestia or Helisande.

I think [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] could work. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestion of Lamara too.

And while I guess what’s most important is that you choose a name that’s meaningful for YOU, can I put a shout-out to [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f] among the awesome scientists?

I quite like [name_f]Hedy[/name_f]! I think it’s really cute, and would age well. As pp mentioned it’s very similar vibe to [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Hattie[/name_f].

I wouldn’t really worry about [name_f]Ada[/name_f], starting with an A. If the family asked you if you’ll be continuing the tradition of A baby names, just be very clear that any future children will have different initials. But I think it would be a cute nod to your husbands upbringing.

[name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] makes me think of [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] (the football player) so it’s all boy to me. I also think the sound is kinda ugly on a boy.

I agree with what a PP said about [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. There’s no guarantee you’ll have a second daughter so I recommend using it now.

I think [name_f]Ada[/name_f] Lovelace and [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] are both really inspiring namesakes! I really like [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] sounds pretty in [name_f]Hedy[/name_f] [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m]'s native [name_m]German[/name_m] (hay-dee) but unfortunately I don’t love the English pronunciation “heady”.

I’ve only heard of men named [name_m]Lamar[/name_m], so [name_m]Lamarr[/name_m] sounds rather masculine to me.