Feminine and classic but not too popular

We are expecting a girl this [name_f]September[/name_f] and are struggling with names! Our son is [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and our last name is similar to [name_m]William[/name_m].

My husband loved [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], but we agreed it has too strong of a pop culture reference. On my list, he ruled out [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f].

Our current working list is: [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f]. My husband and family love the combo of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], but I’m having a tough time getting past the trashy television associations with [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. Our other combos are [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], or [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. I also worry that [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] will constantly be mistaken for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or even thought of as a made up spelling of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f].

Thoughts? Suggestions? I really want something feminine and sophisticated, not too popular but classic enough that people will know how to pronounce it. We were team green when our son was born, and we ended up at the hospital without a girls name. I’m worried this baby will not have a name!

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is lovely name! All of the names on your girls list are beautiful as well. I’m not sure what television reference you’re talking about? When I hear [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] I think of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn (and this girl I grew up with). [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] will probably get mistaken as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] quite a bit. I don’t think many people would see it as a made up spelling as [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_m]Clarke[/name_m] is a pretty well known actress and has made the name more familiar to people. My favorite names from your list are [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. They all seem to match your criteria. Best luck!

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarice[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Janine[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Aveline[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f], [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_f]Helene[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Diane[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]

I’m also unsure of which television [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] you are referring to. I think [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is beautiful!

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] round out my top three from your list.

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] (or [name_f]Camilla[/name_f])
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]

I also think of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn. I think [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is a great choice, but if you have an association you can’t shake that could be a deal breaker (I don’t think I could use [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] because it’s too tied to [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls in my head). [name_f]Iris[/name_f] would be my second choice from your list. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] sounds exactly like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] to me unfortunately. I also like [name_f]Margot[/name_f] from your signature, or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as a first, and [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] from pps. Other ideas are [name_f]Corinne[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

[name_f]Arabella[/name_f], maybe?

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is lovely and not at all “made up!” To me it sounds like a classy society name :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] are all great with [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]!

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] alternatives
[name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] or [name_f]Cerise[/name_f].

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Christiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

Good luck!

My first thought was [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], but I see your husband doesn’t like it.

What about:

[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is lovely, I’ve always loved the idea of an [name_f]Emi[/name_f] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] as a sibset. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is classy and sweet. I also love suggestions of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] and I love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] a lot.

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is a really sweet name, and I think you are going from the same style with this girl. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is popular to me, so I won’t be scared it would be confused with [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] because it’s popular on its own. As a combo for [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], I like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f].

From your list, my favourites to go with [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] are [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f].

From your list, I love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]! I like [name_f]Helena[/name_f], but I’m not in love with it like I am the others. I’m not too crazy about [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] or [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Also, I have no idea why your husband said no to [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], it’s gorgeous! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I don’t think anyone will mistake [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is the name of quite a popular actress.

As for suggestions, how about…
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Oriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Elisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Adora[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f]
[name_f]Angeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f]
[name_f]Silvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
Amora
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Melinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhea[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] doesn’t have any trashy television associations for me, it just makes me think of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Tautou. It was my grandmother’s name, and it definitely has a vintage feel, but it’s not dowdy and I’ve seen it make a slight comeback recently. I think it’s a beautiful name, it feels serious and a little soulful.

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is nice too; I have a cousin named [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and she’s always loved her name.

What about [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] ?