Ferdinand & Chabella

Hello! I’m expecting boy/girl twins, and their due date is just around the corner. I’m actually already pretty set on names; there’s just one tiny question nagging at me. Here goes:

I have chosen [name]Ferdinand[/name] Zuma and Chabella [name]Suzanne[/name] for the twin’s names (with nicknames [name]Fern[/name]”n and [name]Bella[/name]). My only real issue is with Zuma. I admit, when [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stefani[/name] named her son Zuma, I decided to look it up and, well, I didn’t exactly find anything. Except on thinkbabynames.com, which had Zuma has a shortened form of [name]Zulema[/name], a female Arabic name meaning “peace”. For some reason, this name really stuck with me, despite its apparent usage as a female name. [name]Ferdinand[/name] Zuma would mean “peaceful traveller” essentially (which I absolutely love), and I love how both Zuma and [name]Suzanne[/name] have 'z’s in them, without being obvious. Also, Zuma is tucked away in the middle spot, where it won’t be viewed as often.

My question is: can I use Zuma? Is it eternally connected with [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stefani[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you think this will be a problem? What do you think? Thanks!

Yes you can!
[name]Do[/name] it!

I would try and research how legit it is more especially if you want the meaning to be true :slight_smile:

I you love a name you can definitely use it, no matter what. [name]Gwen[/name] Steffani doesn’t own the name Zuma, people were using it before and I hope people will use it after. For what it’s worth, I think [name]Ferdinand[/name] Zuma is lovely.

• anon.

I’m not sure of the origin of Zuma, but I do know that [name]Gwen[/name]'s Zuma is named after a beach in Malibu.

Zuma was an Aztec demigod in a comic book.

[name]Just[/name] so you are aware, [name]Ferdinand[/name] and Chabella is awfully close to ‘[name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]’ - the Catholic kings of Spain who sent [name]Columbus[/name] on his voyage… That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but just thought I’d point it out. Good luck!

I also automatically thought of [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]. It may be a little awkward for your twins as they grow up to learn that their names are extremely similar to those of a famous married couple.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts!

In terms of using Zuma: after you guys suggested doing a bit more research, I dove back into the Internet and tried to find some more possible meanings/sources of Zuma. I also found the Zuma in the comic book, but this association doesn’t bother me since I don’t think that comic book was very popular. [name]Zulema[/name] is definitely a female name meaning “peace” (I found this from multiple sources), so it might be cool to take on name from the girls for a change? I think I’m feeling more confident about using Zuma in the middle.

In terms of [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]: I did know about the association (my husband is a bit of a history buff), but it didn’t really worry me for two reasons - 1. both [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] are royal names, so there were many other members of royal families in the past with these names, so it would be just like my children both having two royal names, and 2. I thought it might be like naming two of your kids after your mom and dad, who may have been a couple.

[name]Do[/name] you think that will really be a problem? I just love both names…any suggestions of similar names in case you think they would be too embarrassing?

I’m not a big fan of zuma and instead of chabella why don’t u try arabella

Zuma Rossdale was named that, supposedly, because [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stefani[/name] played the online video game Zuma a lot while she was pregnant. In any case, I don’t think it’s really a name…

What are the roots of Chabella? I’ve never heard this name before and I’m curious. :o)

Where did you hear that? I’ve always heard that he was named after the beach…

I think Zuma works in the middle for a boy. Since [name]Gwen[/name] has one, people will assume it’s always been a boys name, plus [name]Ferdinand[/name] is very masculine.

I always thought [name]Zulema[/name] was a Mexican name, since I’ve known two Mexican girls named that. I think it’s an awesome name, especially with the nickname [name]Zuzu[/name]… Or, hey! [name]Emma[/name]! Oh gosh, I’m getting sidetracked.

I must admit I think Ferdininan and Chabella is too close to [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name], and they may get teased for it when they learn about that in school (prime teasing age!). I don’t think you can really compare it to naming kids after their grandparents. But it’s not that big of a deal, anyway.

If it were me? I’d change Chabella to [name]Zulema[/name]. [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name] make a great pair, you get the meanings you like, eliminate all the Zuma issues, and the [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] issues.

Where did you hear that? I’ve always heard that he was named after the beach…

I think Zuma works in the middle for a boy. Since [name]Gwen[/name] has one, people will assume it’s always been a boys name, plus [name]Ferdinand[/name] is very masculine.

I always thought [name]Zulema[/name] was a Mexican name, since I’ve known two Mexican girls named that. I think it’s an awesome name, especially with the nickname [name]Zuzu[/name]… Or, hey! [name]Emma[/name]! Oh gosh, I’m getting sidetracked.

I must admit I think Ferdininan and Chabella is too close to [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name], and they may get teased for it when they learn about that in school (prime teasing age!). I don’t think you can really compare it to naming kids after their grandparents. But it’s not that big of a deal, anyway.

If it were me? I’d change Chabella to [name]Zulema[/name]. [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name] make a great pair, you get the meanings you like, eliminate all the Zuma issues, and the [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] issues.

Not related to your original question, but I wanted to say how delighted I am to see someone naming their son [name]Ferdinand[/name]! It was my great grandfathers name and [name]Fernando[/name] is my DHs grandfather and I have been trying to get him to agree to using it, but no luck. I am now trying to talk him into just Fernan, so we’ll see how that goes. I also have [name]Fern[/name] on our list for a girl’s middle, if we have a third girl - he’s not really on board for that either. Men. :wink:

Anyway, just couldn’t resist telling you how much I love it! Congratulations on your twins!

I love the name Chabella! It’s so sweet. I love [name]Ferdinand[/name] & Chabella together, and I’ve never heard of [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]… [name]Even[/name] if I had, I don’t think it would have swayed my opinion. I don’t think they will be teased for it, and, like you said, it’s just like having two kids with royal names. Keep them!

I wouldn’t worry about the royal couple or Zuma as a middle. I am a teenager (still during prime bully age…) and, in all honesty, their biggest teasing would be simply from having such unusal names. I’m not saying I don’t think the names are cute, it’s just that most kids won’t. If you just really love uncommon names and your kids will inevitably end up with them, it’s not the end of the world. In that scenario, I like someone’s idea of [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name]. Adorable!! If you’re concerned about the bullying, some other names you could use are: [name]Felix[/name], [name]Hans[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Hugh[/name], [name]Leonora[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Estella[/name] or [name]Emilia[/name].
Overall, I think my vote goes to [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name] :slight_smile:
Good luck!!

I also automatically thought of [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]. It may be a little awkward for your twins as they grow up to learn that their names are extremely similar to those of a famous married couple.[/quote]

I also thought of this historical Duo…

I also like the suggestion for [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name]. In my opinion, the names [name]Ferdinand[/name] and Chabella (which will always be said together) brings up instant thoughts of the Spanish royalty for anyone who paid attention in high school history class.It also guarantees that you know the meaning instead of guessing that it is a shortened version.

What about [name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Paz[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name] [name]Perrie[/name] which can both mean peaceful traveler ([name]Perry[/name] from the latin [name]Peregrine[/name] meaning traveler, wanderer.)

What a genius suggestion! That would be so cool! I seriously hope the OP uses those names!

Wow, thank you all so much for all the responses! This is becoming a much more difficult decision than I originally thought when I was swept away by [name]Ferdinand[/name] and Chabella :slight_smile:

Here are a couple of posts I wanted to address before I ask for your help one more time.

Chabella is one of the many Italian and Spanish variations of [name]Elisabeth[/name] (its similar to [name]Isabella[/name])

This is a fantastic idea! My one concern is that I know quite a few female [name]Paz[/name]'s…I might consider [name]Pax[/name] instead. But I love how you found names with the same meaning, and this gave me a few more ideas as well…

Thanks for your thoughts. Its nice to hear the opinion of someone who is currently in school, rather than another mom. I think I’m going to stick with [name]Ferdinand[/name] though :wink:

Ok, here’s where I need your help. I seem to be agreeing with the general consensus that [name]Ferdinand[/name] and Chabella are too close to [name]Ferdinand[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]. I think I’m a bit more attached to [name]Ferdinand[/name] than I am to Chabella, so here are my ideas. Let me know which one you like best!

[name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Pax[/name] and [name]Zulema[/name] [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Ferdinand[/name] Zuma and Chesna [name]Suzanne[/name] (Chesna means “peaceful”)
[name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Pax[/name] and Chesna [name]Perry[/name]
[name]Ferdinand[/name] Zuma and [name]Chala[/name] / Chaala [name]Suzanne[/name] (Chaala is a Turkish name that is transliterated from the original Turkish ”a?la)
[name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Pax[/name] and Chaala [name]Suzanne[/name]

Thank you!

I say you stick with [name]Ferdinand[/name] and Chabella. I honestly can’t see anyone teasing them about this. And anyways if kids are going to tease your children they will find something to tease them.
I once met a set of b/g twins while in [name]England[/name] named [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name] and that is much much more obvious than [name]Ferdinand[/name] and Chabella. Great names!