Ferdinand for a boy, am I insane?

So my first baby (don’t know if it’s boy or girl) is due in [name]November[/name]. The last name is [name]SMITH[/name] so my husband and I want something a bit longer and with more ‘pow’ for the first name. We are using my maiden name [name]GORDON[/name] as a middle name. We both love the name [name]FERDINAND[/name], with the nn ‘[name]Nando[/name]’ for a boy. But my family thinks I’m crazy and cruel. (bear in mind they think that they are being quite open-minded when they suggest “[name]Nicholas[/name]”, to give you an idea of how traditional they are). They think that my desire for the child to have a unique name is making me selfishly choose a name the baby will hate. Thoughts? There is another choice too, below:
[name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]

Thanks so much, I know the folks on here have good taste!

I like [name]Nando[/name] for a nn, but it definitely sounds hispanic to me (which may be what you are going for). I think of [name]Ferdinand[/name] the Bull, personally, but I also have a toddler that loves that story.

For a classic/different name, what about [name]Wyatt[/name] or [name]Everett[/name]? I love them both and wanted to use [name]Wyatt[/name] for this baby, but alas, we are hunting for girl names now. :slight_smile:

[name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name] (nn [name]Hank[/name])

Good luck!

I like [name]Ferdinand[/name] well enough, but I don’t think [name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Smith[/name] works. I think [name]Gideon[/name] [name]Smith[/name] works much better, but it’s very similar to [name]Gordon[/name], so [name]Gideon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name] sort of reminds me of that poem “[name]James[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Morrisson[/name] [name]Morrisson[/name]” or Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

Would you think of using [name]Gordon[/name] as a first name?

I really like the idea of using [name]Gordon[/name] for a first name; it’s got a great sound - not unlike [name]Gideon[/name] - and it’s distinctive and handsome (it also might placate the family).

You also then have the option of either putting something you love like [name]Ferdinand[/name] in the middle or something traditional and either would flow really well:

[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Charles[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name] [name]Eliezer[/name] [name]Smith[/name]

I also love [name]Gideon[/name]!
And another name you might like is [name]Gallagher[/name] . . .

I like [name]Ferdinand[/name]! I think with a ln like [name]Smith[/name], that is the way to go. I thought of the bull right away, and I loved that story when I was little. I’ve never met a [name]Ferdinand[/name], but I have met a [name]Fernando[/name], who also went by [name]Nando[/name]. Its a great nn! The [name]Fernando[/name] that I met had a brother named [name]Giovanni[/name] (nn [name]Gio[/name]).

[name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]

Thanks so much, I know the folks on here have good taste![/quote]

I have very odd taste, I have to warn you. I know some people like my mother-in-law think I have bad taste. But I love the name [name]Ferdinand[/name] nn [name]Nando[/name]. Also love [name]Francisco[/name] nn [name]Cisco[/name]. [name]Both[/name] of these names sound Hispanic. As far as I’m concerned, that’s great. Also love [name]Bernardo[/name] nn [name]Bernie[/name] or [name]Bern[/name] or [name]Nardo[/name]. Also [name]Delfino[/name] nn [name]Del[/name] or Fino. If you live in [name]California[/name], you can get away with being really quirky.

[name]Gideon[/name] is handsome too, but doesn’t sound Hispanic. For me it’s a bit tamer. But it is wonderful. Also love [name]Gabriel[/name], but it is more popular.

If you live in a place that can handle a name like [name]Ferdinand[/name], go for it. If he’s going to get teased, then go with [name]Gideon[/name] or even a safer name like [name]Gabriel[/name]. I think [name]Gordon[/name] is way too tame for you, but if you live in a very tame place, then go with something like [name]Gordon[/name]. Because when your kid comes home from school crying every day, it’s no fun.

Also love:
[name]Christo[/name]
[name]Cornelius[/name] nn [name]Niall[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Dmitri[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Javier[/name] - HAH-vee-air nn [name]Javi[/name] (HAH-vee)
[name]Joaquin[/name] - although I met a [name]Joaquin[/name] and he said that guys make fun of his name. They make a loud sound like they’re clearing their throat as they say Joaqu, and then they say quin at the end.
[name]Lorenzo[/name] nn [name]Enzo[/name] is exotic but safe
[name]Matteo[/name]
[name]Orlando[/name]
[name]Paolo[/name]
[name]Santiago[/name] nn [name]Teo[/name] or [name]Tiago[/name]
[name]Sergio[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Safer names that are fun:
[name]Archer[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Brice[/name]
[name]Cruz[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] nn [name]Dash[/name]
[name]Enzo[/name]
[name]Finn[/name], nn for [name]Finnian[/name] or [name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] nn [name]Gabe[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] nn [name]Seb[/name], [name]Bas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]

I have to completely agree with what [name]Susan[/name] said. I live in [name]California[/name] and pretty much anything goes. [name]Ferdinand[/name] is quite a long name but since [name]Smith[/name] is a short one syllable ln you can get away with it. [name]Nando[/name] is cute. It reminds me [name]Lando[/name] from [name]Star[/name] Wars (again I make SW reference, thanks hubby). [name]Gideon[/name] is also a great name it is a little safer as than [name]Ferdinand[/name].

I love all of the names that have been suggested.

I personally have to agree with the posters who don’t care for [name]Ferdinand[/name] with [name]Smith[/name]. I, too, [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Gideon[/name], but it’s too close to [name]Gordon[/name] for me.

In case you haven’t looked it up on Namberry, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] write about Fernanado: “Rather heavy and clumsy feel–most likely because of the bull.”

If you’re not set on [name]Ferdinand[/name] (if you love it, that’s what matters), some more you may like:

[name]Dashiell[/name] (although [name]Dash[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is hard to say…)
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Gulliver[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Best wishes to you!

Thanks everyone.
You guys are very intuitive–I do live in [name]California[/name] (LA specifically) whereas my family is in the Midwest. Thanks for your input. I didn’t think that nn [name]Nando[/name] had such a hispanic vibe (not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s good to know). My baby-to-be is bi-racial (black/white) so perhaps giving him a hispanic nn is just a little cultural overkill. In answer to the question of naming him ‘[name]Gordon[/name]’, my brothers (who have that as a surname) have assured me that he would never be called [name]Gordon[/name], but would instead be most often called “[name]Gordo[/name]” which of course is Spanish for fat. And living in southern [name]California[/name], many people know that word so I don’t want to do that to him.
You are also insightful for mentioning [name]Gabriel[/name]…that’s one that my husband really likes. I just worried it was too widely used to pair with [name]Smith[/name].
Thanks again, these are great suggestions and welcome opinions!

I love [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Smith[/name]!

I really like [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name], too, and think it is a great alternative to [name]Gideon[/name]! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

My big worry is how popular [name]Gabriel[/name] is!! Like in the top 30; again, just worry about it with the surname [name]Smith[/name].

My big worry is how popular [name]Gabriel[/name] is!! Like in the top 30; again, just worry about it with the surname [name]Smith[/name].[/quote]

Hmmm… yes. It is a bit of a worry. But I doubt that it will make the top ten. It does sound fabulous, though. There’s always [name]Gavriel[/name], but I love [name]Gabriel[/name] so much more, and I love the nn [name]Gabe[/name]. His full name wouldn’t be that common - [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. I would use that name if it’s your fave.

When I was in high school, I fell in love with a boy whose last name was [name]Smith[/name]. I used to wonder about what it would be like to have [name]Smith[/name] for a last name. I remember thinking that if I ended up marrying him, our kids would have to have unusual names. But the problem with that is, maybe your kid would be happy with a name that doesn’t stand out that much. I think that boys often enjoy having a name that isn’t too unusual. I would stay away from a classic name, because a classic name with [name]Smith[/name] just sounds too tame. [name]James[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Smith[/name], they just don’t sound jaunty. But [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Smith[/name] has lots of personality.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name] since [name]Frederick[/name] its a classic name