Ferdinand for a boy, am I insane?

So my first baby (don’t know if it’s boy or girl) is due in [name]November[/name]. The last name is [name]SMITH[/name] so my husband and I want something a bit longer and with more ‘pow’ for the first name. We are using my maiden name [name]GORDON[/name] as a middle name. We both love the name [name]FERDINAND[/name], with the nn ‘[name]Nando[/name]’ for a boy. But my family thinks I’m crazy and cruel. (bear in mind they think that they are being quite open-minded when they suggest “[name]Nicholas[/name]”, to give you an idea of how traditional they are). They think that my desire for the child to have a unique name is making me selfishly choose a name the baby will hate. Thoughts? There is another choice too, below:
[name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]Smith[/name]

Thanks so much, I know the folks on here have good taste!

I like the name [name]Gideon[/name] more than [name]Ferdinand[/name], but [name]Gideon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] seems a bit much. I say that if you like [name]Ferdinand[/name] then you should feel free to name your child that regardless of your family’s feelings. I understand that you don’t want the added strain of a feud, but when little [name]Ferdinand[/name] arrives they will forget all about the name and coo and coddle him just the same. And I don’t think it is selfish to desire a more unsual name, as a preschool teacher I cringe at the thought of my child having to go by their first and last intial beacuse he/she is the 3rd [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Jake[/name]. Your child with love or hate their name based on their own tastes reguardless of how common ir uncommon it is, so there’s no reason to stress out too much about it now. I think [name]Ferdinand[/name] is a great choice especially if you and your husband love the name.