Fern

DH has been reading [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]'s [name_m]Web[/name_m] to our son each night and one night after their reading session he mentioned to me that he really likes the name [name_f]Fern[/name_f]. We most likely won’t be having another baby for a couple years seeing as our youngest is only 5 months old, but I still have to ask. What do y’all think about [name_f]Fern[/name_f] with our sibset as a possible someday second daughter? Our son is [name_m]Benton[/name_m] [name_m]Grover[/name_m] and our daughter is [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I’m not sure what middle I’d put with it either. I was thinking maybe [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] since [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is another name we both love. Any other suggestions? Thoughts?

Wow, your kids have absolutely wonderful names, really!
And about [name_f]Fern[/name_f]: it’s a nice, pretty name and fits with your kids very well. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is beautiful. For other ideas, what do you think about [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Fern[/name_f]! It was in the running for my daughter but we live on [name_f]Fern[/name_f] ave so that would be odd.

I think it’s great with your son and daughters names.

We are also reading Charlottes [name_m]Web[/name_m] right now! I so want to love [name_f]Fern[/name_f], but I just can’t. It seems so abrupt. Maybe if I met a lovely little [name_f]Fern[/name_f] it would change my mind.

Sorry, but it’s a houseplant to me. [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] would be very cute w/your sibset. Maybe your son would enjoy ‘The Best [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] Pageant [name_u]Ever[/name_u]’?

I love [name_f]Fern[/name_f]. It would be in my top five for this babe if I wan’ t worried about it being too themey with my daughter’s name. I find it simple but spunky, sweet on a child but sophisticated on an adult. Everything I love in a girl’s name. I also think it’s lovely with [name_m]Benton[/name_m] and [name_f]Arwen[/name_f].

Ugh, don’t mind my random font.

I’m not fond of the sound “ern” at all. Is that a sound you enjoy saying/hearing or is this just a positive/sentimental association?

I really love it.
I think it’s a lovely underused name.
And it goes great with your other kids names.

[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is beautiful! I absolutely love it!

So reactions are mixed. They’ve typically been mixed for my other children’s names as well, so that’s to be expected. I know Berries don’t typically like themes in sibsets, but there’s a theme in all of my family’s names. We all have names that end with N; [name_m]Brian[/name_m], [name_f]Cathryn[/name_f], [name_m]Benton[/name_m], and [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]. So I feel that if I break that pattern the next child will feel left out. Is that silly? I just know that I’ve always been a name nerd and it’s something I would have noticed as a child and it probably would have bothered me if I was the one left out. lol
So anyway, back to [name_f]Fern[/name_f]. I don’t think it would be top on my personal list if my husband hadn’t been so forward with saying that he really likes the name. He’s typically one to like the more common names and thinks my taste for unusual names is a little too out there. [name_m]Benton[/name_m] [name_m]Grover[/name_m] he agreed to because they’re both family names. [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] was pretty much the only first name we did agree on for our daughter and we ended up changing her middle when she was 4 weeks old because he kept accidentally calling her [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (my name is [name_f]Cathryn[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]) instead of [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. So for us to both like [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is actually quite a feat. Plus I think it’s sweet how he wants to use a name from his favorite childhood book that he is now reading to our son. That’s something a little [name_f]Fern[/name_f] would enjoy hearing about her daddy I think.
I should have been more explanatory when I asked for other options. I actually meant other middle name options. I do really love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] though! In fact, [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]'s name would have been [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]Garland[/name_f] if I could have gotten hubby on board and if my father hadn’t insisted that he was going to call her [name_f]Emma[/name_f] if I named her [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. :-/
Thank you for all the replies! They’re much appreciated!

[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is lovely.

Being a name nerd myself I notice that you have A-G ([name_f]Arwen[/name_f], [name_m]Benton[/name_m]/[name_m]Brian[/name_m], [name_f]Cathryn[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_m]Grover[/name_m]) without D (though I don’t know your DH’s middle).
So my first instinct is to think of D or H names

[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Daria[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Harriett[/name_f]

Oooh, good point! I like [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]! What about [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]?

Poor hubby’s middle name is just the letter C. :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] is great!

Thank you, kala_way!!! You rock!