Fictional Sibset Predicament pt. 2 - Poll

So, I just made a thread about this but figured some would’ve already seen and voted on it and not looked in there to see this update, so I just decided to start a new topic.

I said this in the last topic:

I have a predicament.

I have this sibset in this story I’m writing that I had all squared away, but now I’m questioning it. So, their dad is from [name_f]France[/name_f] and their mom is from [name_f]Jamaica[/name_f]. Their first names are [name_u]Zion[/name_u], Zanthia, & Zavien, and their middles are [name_u]Bravery[/name_u], [name_f]Spirit[/name_f], & [name_u]Valor[/name_u] or [name_u]Bravery[/name_u], Courage, & [name_u]Valor[/name_u] or [name_u]Bravery[/name_u], [name_f]Spirit[/name_f], & Courage.

[name_f]My[/name_f] predicament is this: I feel like their mom got to have her own personal flair with their first names, so should their dad get to have their middle names be in his mother tongue or should they just be in [name_f]English[/name_f] bc they’re living in an [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking country? I have tried and tried to decide and I just can’t so y’all are gonna do it for me.

For reference, in [name_u]French[/name_u] their middles would be:

[name_u]Bravery[/name_u] = Bravoure
[name_f]Spirit[/name_f] = Espirit
[name_u]Valor[/name_u] = Valeur
Courage = Courage (pronounced with a [name_u]French[/name_u] accent)

[end of what I said in past topic]

But what I forgot to say is that the reason I’m hesitant to do the French middles is because another family in the same story named their kids with names from one of their home countries and words from the other’s mother tongue, and I worry that it’s too much to repeat it in another family but I also feel like it’s the right thing to do for this family. Ugh. This is why y’all are gonna decide for me.

I apologize for the miscommunication on my part to the people that already voted on that other one and I’m sure thought “… why wouldn’t you use the French middles?”!

• French middles
  • English middles

0 voters

I’d love to know why you voted for what you did!

Disclaimer: [name_f]Mini[/name_f]-Rant Dead Ahead

I picked english because even if they’re not close families and no-one but people who like names will notice, I feel it’s best not to jinx and repeat. Also the [name_f]English[/name_f] middles could be like the father saying “even though I miss my country, I’m going to give this one an honest try” or both of the parents deciding to give their children recognizable english names since Zavien and Zanthia at least aren’t rampad in the [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking country I live in (USA).

1 Like

Do they have a [name_u]French[/name_u] last name? Because then it would be in the dad’s mother tongue.

I voted [name_f]English[/name_f] middles so as not to repeat the naming style of your other family. But if [name_u]French[/name_u] middles feel a better fit for this family, you could perhaps change the others’?

1 Like

They do have a [name_u]French[/name_u] last name, which is [name_m]Laurent[/name_m]. With their last name being [name_u]French[/name_u], do you think their middles being [name_u]French[/name_u] words would be a little… redundant?

That is an option that I’ve considered, but I came to the decision that I really love their names as they are. Thank you for your input, though! It’s greatly appreciated! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I love this, it’s so beautiful, and [name_u]French[/name_u] is a lovely accent. [name_f]Bonne[/name_f] chance!

1 Like