Final Five

I’m having my first, a girl, in [name]December[/name]. Help me pick between our final five names! What do you think?

[name]Eleanor[/name] (nn [name]Nora[/name])
[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name])
[name]Harriet[/name] (nn [name]Hattie[/name])
[name]Camilla[/name] (nn [name]Milly[/name])
[name]Margot[/name]

I love them all-- [name]Eleanor[/name] is my favorite, [name]Harriet[/name] is my husbands. My biggest concern is we have a very common last name (like [name]Johnson[/name] or [name]Smith[/name]). We want something a little less popular for the first name. What do you like best?

[name]Harriet[/name] – charming & still a few years from becoming very popular. [name]Love[/name] the [name]Hattie[/name] nn

My fave is [name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name]. It would be cool to make a poll.

You’re right…you have a tough job deciding between these 5!

[name]Eleanor[/name] (nn [name]Nora[/name]) - This is my second pick. I’m so in love with [name]Nora[/name]!
[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name]) - Number 4…prefer [name]Louisa[/name] :slight_smile:
[name]Harriet[/name] (nn [name]Hattie[/name]) - Number 5 for me. I don’t [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Harriet[/name].
[name]Camilla[/name] (nn [name]Milly[/name]) - Top Pick! [name]LOVE[/name] it! [name]Camille[/name] is on our “short” list
[name]Margot[/name] - Number 3…no nn makes me sad :slight_smile:

I just wanted to put in a vote for [name]Louise[/name]. It’s so soft and pretty, while still being sophisticated. [name]Lulu[/name] is a great name for a little girl, and [name]Louise[/name] is a name that she will be able to wear well as a grown woman.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] (can’t use it personally because I already have a [name]Henry[/name]), but I think [name]Harriet[/name] or [name]Hattie[/name] with a last name like [name]Smith[/name] sounds more unique than the others. ([name]Harriet[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] is a favorite combo of mine!) It is also far from being popular, as is [name]Louise[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name], which would be my second choice (and I must disclose, we’re using [name]Louisa[/name] if we have a girl this time). I love [name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name] but I know several little ones with that name, so if popularity is a concern for you, think about that. I like but don’t necessarily love [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Margot[/name]. Good luck!

I like [name]Eleanor[/name] (I love the name [name]Nora[/name]), but it is becoming a little popular. I personally love [name]Camilla[/name], the nickname [name]Milli[/name] is to cute! [name]Milli[/name] has my vote :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] there! :slight_smile:

[name]Eleanor[/name] (nn [name]Nora[/name]): I love this name, and the older sounding [name]Eleanora[/name], too.

[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name]): I love [name]Louise[/name], but I love [name]Louisa[/name] more. :slight_smile:

[name]Harriet[/name] (nn [name]Hattie[/name]): I think [name]Hattie[/name] is darling. [name]Harriet[/name] has been growing on me, but I still love [name]Henrietta[/name] as a [name]Hattie[/name] source.

[name]Camilla[/name] (nn [name]Milly[/name]): I love this, too, and am slowly but surely separating it from [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Parker[/name] Bowles. I love [name]Camille[/name], too.

[name]Margot[/name]: I think this name is really elegant, but I can’t help but think of a [name]Margot[/name] I knew growing up who had to deal with “maggot” teasing. Because of this, I think I still prefer [name]Margaret[/name].

It’s not so unusual these days (and I think it feels more popular than it is due to [name]Ella[/name]), but I really love [name]Eleanor[/name] from your list. :slight_smile: I think that [name]Harriet[/name] is really distinctive, too, and I absolutely love the nickname [name]Hattie[/name].

I’ll put [name]Camilla[/name] in third place, only because a lot of people associate it with [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Parker[/name] Bowles (I’m in the U.S.). I really love [name]Louise[/name], too, but don’t think it’s as feminine as [name]Louisa[/name]. (I’d put [name]Louisa[/name] in the #1 spot.) :slight_smile:

So, I’m voting for [name]Eleanor[/name]. :slight_smile: I think it’s elegant and sophisticated while still remaining down to earth, and I love [name]Nora[/name] as a nickname.

Best wishes to you!

We named our darling daughter (now 2) [name]Eleanor[/name] and love love love it. I just started reading [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name]'s autobiography so interesting I recommend it.

My favorite full name would [name]Camilla[/name] followed by [name]Eleanor[/name] ( I also like [name]Eleanora[/name] better).

My favorite nn’s [name]Nora[/name], [name]Hattie[/name] and [name]Lulu[/name].

[name]Jill[/name] suggested [name]Louisa[/name] and I do also like it better than [name]Louise[/name] but my name is [name]Lisa[/name] so maybe I’m biased :wink:

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Margo[/name] and if that was the way it was spelled it would have been my first choice.

I know I’m no help. You should make a poll. :slight_smile:

[name]Margot[/name], beautiful, love the French connection too. One nn is Marg soft ‘g’.

I am sure that [name]Margot[/name] will not need a nn though and I think that is a good thing.

I have never heard of a [name]Margot[/name] that was teased about the maggot thing, and I agree it is elegant.

Be ahead of the trend and name her [name]Margot[/name] (silent ‘t’)

[name]Margot[/name] (silent “t”)and [name]Louise[/name] are my favourites!! [name]Don[/name]'t care much for [name]Harriet[/name], prefer [name]Nora[/name] over [name]Eleanor[/name], and [name]Camilla[/name] seems very ordinary to me, although it’s quite well-used where I come from, so I’m biased like that… [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Louise[/name] are very elegant, and if you used [name]Camille[/name] or [name]Camellia[/name] instead of [name]Camilla[/name], she would be my third choice, [name]Harriet[/name] my last… ^^
Good luck!

[name]Harriet[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Margot[/name] for me.

[name]Camilla[/name] is lovely too.

I don’t like [name]Louise[/name].

Thanks for all the help so far! There doesn’t seem to be a clear favorite among you all yet! The same problem I’m having! Please keep on letting me know what you like most, maybe it’ll help make things clearer.

I love [name]Eleanor[/name] the most and I love [name]Nora[/name]. My concerns are the popularity and that I am not a fan of [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] as nn.

I also love [name]Louisa[/name] (and [name]Lucia[/name], [name]Lucille[/name] etc.). My husband will only consider [name]Louise[/name], so that puts the other names out of the running. I really love [name]Louise[/name], for me it’s probably tied for second place with [name]Margot[/name].

I love [name]Margaret[/name] as well as [name]Margot[/name]. I do have a cousin who just named her baby [name]Margaret[/name] and I think [name]Margaret[/name] is a bit too popular for me (although I love the many nickname choices). I think [name]Margot[/name] is simple and elegant. I love the traditional french spelling with the silent “t”.

[name]Harriet[/name] is my husband’s first choice. I like “[name]Hattie[/name]” better than [name]Harriet[/name] but I like the name as well. I think it’s pretty and could age well.

I think I’m taking [name]Camilla[/name] out of the running. I realized that I like “[name]Milly[/name]” better than [name]Camilla[/name] and I really am not a fan of the “[name]Cammie[/name]” nickname. I really like the name but not as much as our other choices.

Thanks for your continuing help!

[name]Do[/name] you have a middle name picked out yet? or a list of potentials? perhaps the flow of first name with middle and last will help be a decider for you. Your problem is these are all really wonderful names! I have to note in follow up to my last post, I didn’t have strong feelings about [name]Camilla[/name] or [name]Margot[/name] – [name]Camilla[/name] because I, too, like [name]Millie[/name] better than [name]Camilla[/name] (and have that pesky name association with it, which I’m sure is my only hold-back), but I do really like [name]Margot[/name] quite a lot – I knew someone with a sister named [name]Margaret[/name] that went by [name]Margo[/name], and I always loved it. Its a great name on its own (spelled with the t of course).

Considering that you have one of those common last names, I would go with [name]Camilla[/name] since it’s distinguished and not a name you see on little girls every day. [name]Camilla[/name] also flows well with most middle names. After that, I would have to say [name]Eleanor[/name] even though it’s a tad too common for my liking.

I vote for [name]Margot[/name]!!!

Great names! I like them in this order…

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] ([name]Louisa[/name] would be #1)
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]

nn rankings for me…
[name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Hattie[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Milly[/name] (i like [name]Milla[/name] more)

Good luck!