Final list ideas?

We’ve got a few names we really like now, and though we don’t really love any of them, I’m hoping one will ‘jump out’ at us as the right name once he’s born.
Our final list is:
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Raffy[/name_m]’ - I really like [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], but my wife is concerned that its going to seem odd on a person of entirely northern european and american heritage. We considered [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] as an alternative, but I don’t like it the same.
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Luca[/name_u]’ - my wife completely loves [name_u]Luca[/name_u], but we can’t decide on a pronunciation of [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], I like loo-shan, she likes loo-see-an, and it’s really putting me off. I’
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Rory[/name_u]’ - I love [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], and my wife likes both it and [name_u]Rory[/name_u], but she’s not 100% on board, and is worried about the [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] association.
[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Baz[/name_m]’ - I like [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], but feel it sounds incomplete, but I don’t really like [name_m]Sebastien[/name_m] at all. It’s my wife’s favourite.
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Max[/name_u]’ - my absolute all time favourite that my wife is only really just starting to reconsider. She might like it with another nickname, but I hate [name_m]Miles[/name_m] and [name_m]Milo[/name_m], and can’t think of another option.

For middle names we’re thinking either [name_m]Peter[/name_m] or Thorfinn, or maybe both if it fits better.

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] - I like it. It seems very Spanish/central American to me, but is a lovely name.
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m] - This is probably my favourite of your list. I would pronounce it loo-shan, but both sound lovely. Have you considered [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] (which I would pronounce your wife’s way) and [name_m]Lucius[/name_m]? [name_u]Luca[/name_u] is also a lovely nickname.
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] - Another lovely name. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is a nice nickname. Could also have the “old man” nickname of [name_m]Ian[/name_m], for some fun (I know a 3 year old [name_m]Henry[/name_m] who’s parents called him [name_m]Hank[/name_m] as a funny nickname, and he decided that he preferred it). I have no idea who [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] is, so I’m not sure how strong that association is.
[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]/[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] - Sounds like a complete name to me. A more “quirky” name than [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], but I like it.
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] - a nice name, but very long, so a well-liked nickname is very important. Other suggestions are [name_m]Mac[/name_m], [name_m]Ax[/name_m], [name_m]Axel[/name_m], [name_m]Maxim[/name_m], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Leon[/name_m] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m]

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], and [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] are my favourites for you.

I wouldn’t find [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] strange. It feels like a very versatile name to me, plus [name_m]Raffy[/name_m] is great.

For [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], some other middles could be: [name_u]Milan[/name_u], [name_m]Maxim[/name_m], [name_m]Xan[/name_m], [name_u]Mica[/name_u], [name_m]Liam[/name_m], [name_m]Axel[/name_m], [name_m]Manny[/name_m], [name_u]Ali[/name_u]

[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Rory[/name_u]’ is great. The [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] association is strong, but I don’t think it’s 'bad ’ - I know he’s a bad character but the book itself is a classic which means the name has a nice literary vibe. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is fresh too!

Favourites…

1. [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] - [name_u]Max[/name_u] is handsome and so versatile fitting all ages
  2. [name_m]Lucian[/name_m] - the only pronunciation I know is loo-see-en but that likely depends on where you live
  3. [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] - I think it fits well and I don’t think of it as a “regional” name
  4. [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] - I would go straight to [name_u]Rory[/name_u] which I like much better

[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] is the main character in The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] by [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] Wilde. In it [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] essentially sells his soul to the devil so that a painting of him decays instead of him aging, and he leads a really horrific lifestyle, including murdering several people. It’s a great book, but he’s a really horrible person, hence the hesitation.

One of his brothers is [name_m]Leo[/name_m], so we obviously couldn’t use [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Leo[/name_m] or [name_m]Leon[/name_m], but I really like [name_m]Maxim[/name_m] and [name_m]Axel[/name_m].

Thanks! I’m going to suggest [name_m]Axel[/name_m], [name_m]Maxim[/name_m], [name_u]Mica[/name_u] and [name_u]Milan[/name_u] to my wife for nicknames.

Thanks for your thoughts! We’re definitely not going to use [name_u]Max[/name_u] for [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], my wife doesn’t really like it. And we are going to use a long name and a nickname, so wouldn’t just use [name_u]Rory[/name_u] by itself.