Final poll & desperate!!

See the results of this poll: Which sibset is more old fashioned/old world sounding?

Respondents: 136 (This poll is closed)

• Adelaide & Harrison : 97 (71%)
  • Adelaide & Orlando: 39 (29%)

[name_m]Orlando[/name_m] is nice but [name_f]IMO[/name_f] too modern-sounding with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] (which I love By the way). [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] sounds good with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and isn’t too popular, this is definitely your better option!

I wanted to be able to vote for [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] because the Shakespearean connection dates it back further than the historical Harrisons I could think of, but [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] just sounds modern to me. Maybe it’s [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] Bloom, the city, or the current popularity of boys names ending in o, but I cannot get my brain to categorize [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] as old fashioned or old world.

I love [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], and I think it really fits the old world feel! Plus, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] & [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] sound fabulous together. Would you consider [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] as a combo? That way, you could still use your GP in the middle :slight_smile:

Both sound lovely with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]! But I voted [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] because it has an air of sophistication and romanticism that [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] does. [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] sounds very old world to me, but as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u] I’m not so quick to associate it with [name_f]Florida[/name_f]. I absolutely adore how these names sound together.

[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is obviously quite old fashioned but I’ve heard it being used quite a bit in the UK which makes it almost sound more modern to me. Trends can change the vibe a name gives off and I suppose for me [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] has lost a bit of it’s old world charm in this respect.

Either way, [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] or [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] both sound great!

I voted for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] together don’t make me think old fashioned or old world, but rather just place names.

I voted [name_m]Orlando[/name_m]. I categorize [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] as a ‘lastname as a firstname’ in my head, so I’d assume it was part of that modern, more American trend in naming, whereas [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] sounds dashing, knightly, and old world to me.

Agree with this 100%! [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] seem way more modern to me.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Orlando[/name_m]!

I much prefer [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]! [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] doesn’t strike me as anywhere near as “old world” or “old fashioned” as [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] does. It just makes me think of the city in [name_f]Florida[/name_f] (which is not the best association in my mind).

I really hate to bring this up, but to be honest it also strongly reminds me of the tragedy at the [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] nightclub Pulse last year. I don’t mean to be offensive, but that association is very strong for me and many others in my community, so I would be kind of shocked to hear that name announced on a newborn this year. [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], on the other hand, sounds amazing with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and gives the sibset a great, vintage vibe.

Best of luck with your decision!

I’ve recently come to love [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] and it sounds fantastic with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], so that got my vote! I love [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], too, but I don’t love it with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

I think [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] is actually the answer to your question, but I much prefer [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

Whaaat?? [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] old-world??? Where are you guys living?! Sorry for all the question marks, but I’m very surprised. [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is trendy-popular in the UK, definitely more modern sounding than either [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] or [name_m]Archer[/name_m] [which I think sounds great with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]!], and stylistically feels like a mismatch with elegant, coming-into-fashion [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], much like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] & [name_u]Kayden[/name_u] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] & [name_u]Riley[/name_u].

Anyway, I voted for [name_m]Orlando[/name_m]. If you’re in the US, it sounds like [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] isn’t really on the radar, but just be aware that you’d be likely to meet a number of 8-14 year old Harrisons in the UK.

Definitely [name_m]Orlando[/name_m]. It has the same vibe as [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. It “fits” with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] comes off as trendy and new. [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] has that old-world feel and a romanticism that pairs nicely with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

Ok…you probably don’t want another suggestion at this point, but have you considered [name_m]Orson[/name_m]? It strikes me as old-fashioned and shares the O- beginning of [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] (and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]) and the -son ending of [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]. [name_m]Orson[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] sound great together, too!

I voted for [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] again, anyway. [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] feels worldly, rather than old-world, and at least to this American user, seems more modern and - as another poster mentioned - too-recently connected to a tragedy.

I already posted in this thread but am totally blown away by the results! I’m in US and still agree with this.

[name_m]Orlando[/name_m] was a name way before the city was named, lol! It’s the Italian form of [name_m]Roland[/name_m]! Behindthename.com states it was used since the Italian Renaissance which began in the 14th century. Meaning, origin and history of the name Orlando - Behind the Name

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] has some great history of usage too - according to behinthename.com:
It was borne in the 10th century by [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], the wife of the Holy [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Emperor [name_m]Otto[/name_m] the Great. The name became common in [name_m]Britain[/name_m] in the 19th century due to the popularity of the [name_m]German[/name_m]-born wife of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] IV, for whom the city of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] in Australia was named in 1836.
Meaning, origin and history of the name Adelaide - Behind the Name

[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is from an English surname which meant “son of [name_m]HARRY[/name_m]”.

Adelaide & Orlando are romantic while Harrison seems very English & modern to me.

[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] isn’t bad name but seems a bit mismatched with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] to me! But whatever you choose it’ll be great! Good luck!

[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is a far better match; [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] is very Italian, it honestly sounds so odd as a brother name to [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], in my opinion. [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] & [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] both have an old western quaintness that [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] surely lacks. [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] isn’t a bad name, but I would expect an [name_m]Orlando[/name_m]'s sister to be named something like [name_f]Luciana[/name_f] or [name_f]Fiorella[/name_f], while I would expect an [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]'s brother to be named something like [name_m]Orson[/name_m]/[name_m]Roland[/name_m]/[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]

[name_m]Orlando[/name_m] is so much more interesting than [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]. It would make for a very intriguing and pleasant twin set; [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], on the other hand, is easier to dismiss. So I vote for [name_m]Orlando[/name_m]!

Morning_glory,

Thank you for mentioning the recent popularity of [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] in the UK. I’ve got to admit - I do like following the UK naming trends as I feel they’re ahead of the curve in their naming choices. It does alarm me a little that [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is so popular there, as I feel that the rest of the world seem to catch up later with the UK and that [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] may therefore become more of a popular choice elsewhere. As I’ve said previously, I tend to steer away from the more popular names. This is just one of the many reasons why I loved the name [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] for our daughter. Although it’s increased in popularity the last few years, it’s certainly not overused.

Looks like naming our son is harder than what I thought it would be - although the poll results clearly point to [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], I’m concerned about its rising popularity and its association with ‘trendiness’.

Gildedfairyx,

Thank you for your honest feedback and for your research :slight_smile:

It’s a wonderful point that you’ve brought up about [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] being used as a name long before it was a city. I find that living here in Australia, I sometimes get people giving me a confused look when I tell them of my daughter’s name, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. Unfortunately they just automatically associate the name with the city here in South Australia. Lots of people can’t appreciate that the name [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] has been in use long before the city was evergiven the same name!

I do agree with you that [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] gives off a romantic feel and the more I say it the more melodic it sounds to my ear, much like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] (to my biased ear of course!)